2004 - 2008 F-150

Buying wheels/tires off eBay

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 10:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying wheels/tires off eBay

Not much of an eBay user, was wondering what experiences folks have had with buying wheels and tires off of eBay. Seems like the costs would add up with shipping etc. due to size and weight, and with all the vibration issues is it something that's even worth considering?

Old 11-07-2005, 10:17 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by plunds01
Not much of an eBay user, was wondering what experiences folks have had with buying wheels and tires off of eBay. Seems like the costs would add up with shipping etc. due to size and weight, and with all the vibration issues is it something that's even worth considering?
Many auctions list shipping charges. Those that don't will usually answer very quickly with shipping charges, based on the address/zip you give them. That will give you your total cost.

It's pretty easy to price new wheels and tires locally, too. That will give your your comparison.

Here's a real-world example:

My dad is looking at 2005 models. He likes the FX4, but the one he likes is equipped with 17" wheels instead of the 18" wheels. So, there are three options for him:
  1. Buy 18" wheels through the dealer
  2. Buy 18" wheels on ebay and tires locally
  3. Buy 18" wheels and tires on ebay
  1. Just a shade under $2,000.
  2. About $300 for the wheels, another $80 for shipping, and another $500 for tires, mounting, and balancing. Total is between $900 - $1,000.
  3. Wheel/tire combos online for $600 - $700 and shipping is around $150. Total of around $850. Because these are factory combos, balancing shouldn't be necessary ... in theory, anyway
The point is that you'll have to ask ebayers for shipping. You'll have to look up local prices. And, you might have to make a phone call or two.

Good luck.

Old 11-07-2005, 10:17 AM
What kind of tires and wheels are you looking for? I have a guy that sells take offs and they are cherry. He pays the shipping too. Great guy to deal with.

If you want use eBay, just check the sellers feedback. If they have alot of good feedback, you will have very little to worry about. If they have no feedback or bad feedback, dont buy.

Old 11-07-2005, 10:23 AM
What are you looking for? I have 4 General 255/70r/17 mounted (blackwall) on OEM painted aluminum wheels. Only 13k on them. Check the pic and let me know if your interested.

Dee

Old 11-07-2005, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the replies, I'm looking for a set of the 06 F150 20 inch wheels and tires. There are a couple of sets on eBay, but I haven't yet explored other options...

Old 11-07-2005, 11:47 AM
ebay is a good way to get wheels. make sure you get a firm quote on shipping and make sure the wheels come with center caps, lugs and any other necessary hardware. i like to get tires locally as it might be hard to find the exact tires you want on an ebay tire/wheel combo. You can also then make sure they are balanced and aligned correctly. i usually search around for the best online prices for the tires i want and the shop will usually come pretty close to that.

Old 11-08-2005, 02:05 PM
I got a steal on a set of wheels on Ebay back when I first bought my '05 XL. I bought a set of the 17" Eddie Bauer Expy wheels (centers and lugs) shipping and all for $76, the guy was a new Ebayer and was clueless about his ad. He had actually screwed it up so bad he didnt even know the ad ever posted on Ebay. After winning it I had my doubts that he would ever send them but he did and I was shocked. By far the best deal I ever got on there. I talked to the guy after I got them to let him know I was tickled to death with the deal and he told me he ended up spending more than the total price just to ship them. I felt bad for him but a deal is a deal, I was just glad he stood behind it.

Then to top my good deal off a buddy of mine, PiggNford, had just bought a set of 18" Lariat wheels and tires for his XLT so he had his chrome XLT wheels and tires setting around and let me swap the 17" Conti's off them for my Hancooks since he was just going to sell those wheels anyway, after paying to have his tires put on my new wheels and my old tires put on his old wheels I was out less than $180 for wheels, tires and mountin and balancing.

When I was looking there were all kinds of what I consider good deals, heck you could get wheels and tires cheaper than you could go buy tires for at a shop. Good luck on your search, just be sure you get quoted an exact shipping cost before bidding and also check the sellers feedback.

Last edited by RjA150; 11-08-2005 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:09 PM
I know a guy real well that has a set of 17" Cast Aluminium Wheels from an 04' XLT. Wheels are in great condition..
He'd prolly sell em for about $200. They look just like the ones in the pic above.

Email me for info.

Old 11-08-2005, 03:08 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bought a set of 17" FX4 aluminum wheels with the General Ameritrac TR tires on them off ebay and picked them up for $450.00. The tires and wheels were new take-offs and the seller was only a couple hundred miles away. He was happy to let me come pick them up, that way I could see what condition they were in. It worked out great for me, I got the wheels and tires for less than it cost to get just the tires.

Old 11-08-2005, 03:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 67L48
Many auctions list shipping charges. Those that don't will usually answer very quickly with shipping charges, based on the address/zip you give them. That will give you your total cost.

It's pretty easy to price new wheels and tires locally, too. That will give your your comparison.

Here's a real-world example:

My dad is looking at 2005 models. He likes the FX4, but the one he likes is equipped with 17" wheels instead of the 18" wheels. So, there are three options for him:
  1. Buy 18" wheels through the dealer
  2. Buy 18" wheels on ebay and tires locally
  3. Buy 18" wheels and tires on ebay
  1. Just a shade under $2,000.
  2. About $300 for the wheels, another $80 for shipping, and another $500 for tires, mounting, and balancing. Total is between $900 - $1,000.
  3. Wheel/tire combos online for $600 - $700 and shipping is around $150. Total of around $850. Because these are factory combos, balancing shouldn't be necessary ... in theory, anyway
The point is that you'll have to ask ebayers for shipping. You'll have to look up local prices. And, you might have to make a phone call or two.

Good luck.

I'm intrested in selling my factory 18' FX4 wheels. Email me at nickcliborne@hotmail.com

Old 11-08-2005, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by 04NickySP2
I'm intrested in selling my factory 18' FX4 wheels. Email me at nickcliborne@hotmail.com

How much, and where are you located?? I have a friend of mine that is in the market for some after seeing mine. Email me and let me know.

And when you get ready to ship tires and wheels, shop a couple of freight lines. I have a couple that I use on a regular basis and for big items they are the way to go. I use Overnite and Southeastern Freightlines. Normally, a pallet will ship for ~$100 hub to hub. You will have to pick it up at the hub, but the money you save is worth it. I recently bought several of 8500KW generators and one was going to cost me $210 shipped UPS 'freight'. I almost had a heart attack. I wound up getting 3 of them shipped from SC to Jackson for $94. I also got to keep the pallet to make a deerstand out of!

Old 11-08-2005, 04:56 PM
wheels from e bay

I recently bought a set of 17" fx4 rims on e bay to replace my 5 spoke alum rims.I had no problems with these rims during balenceing.I say if you find a set you like go for it.

Old 11-08-2005, 07:31 PM
I just bought a set of 18" lariat wheels with BF Goodrich Rugged trails take offs,6 miles on them from ebay, $500 shipped

Old 11-09-2005, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by Grizwarrior
I just bought a set of 18" lariat wheels with BF Goodrich Rugged trails take offs,6 miles on them from ebay, $500 shipped
I hear ya...just got a call from fedex...I purchased the same setup...should be here in an hour...can't wait!!! :santa:

Old 11-09-2005, 05:28 PM
Where are you Plund? I live in Central Ark and have a set of 17" XLT painted five spokes in my attic I would let go cheap...

Quick Reply: Buying wheels/tires off eBay