Superchips with E85???

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 12:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Superchips with E85???

I was wondering if anyone had tried using E85 with their superchips. On the E85 website it says that it contains 96 to 105 octane so im assuming you would get positive results.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by CHUCKY_GONZO
I was wondering if anyone had tried using E85 with their superchips. On the E85 website it says that it contains 96 to 105 octane so im assuming you would get positive results.
No, you would need to be tuned for E85. Octane isn't the whole story. Ethanol has less energy.

Old 05-03-2007, 04:35 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Chucky,

Norm makes a good point in his post (as usual), and I only wanted to add a little info to that....

This actually depends on what model year truck you have, and whether it is "flex fuel" from the factory. If it is a 2006 or newer F-150, then it is possible that it could have the flex fuel option, and if so then yes, you could run it on E85 no problem with the Superchips tuning or on your stock factory tuning.

However, if your vehicle did NOT come from the factory originally made specifically for flex-fuel capability (meaning the systems that are required specifically to run E-85, including fuel pump, injectors, fuel lines, additional sensors, and PCM logic, etc.), then you cannot run E-85 without doing those upgrades and then having it tuned to run on either E-85 or normal pump gasoline (meaning multiple tunes, which is pretty much standard in custom tuning these days).

Now someone could do a custom tune for it to run on E-85 if it is NOT a flex-fuel vehicle, but you would have fuel system problems most likely, as alcohol is *far* more corrosive compared to gasoline, and that affects things like the fuel pump, injectors, fuel lines, etc - anything the fuel touches, basically.

I hope that gives you a bit more thorough look at this, & good luck!

Old 05-04-2007, 08:16 AM
yeah its a 07 flexfuel....thanks for the input

Old 05-22-2007, 12:53 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
OK, since it's a 2007 Flex Fuel vehicle, then what I recommend is using your premium gas performance tuning when you run E-85 - that is what will give you the best performance.

The actual octane number of E-85 varies a good deal, overall it seems to average in at about 100 octane - though of course it's raw energy content is far less than that of normal pump gasoline of course, so your fuel mileage will drop by usually about 30% when running the E-85.

But since it's a flex fuel vehicle, you can still run the E85, just use your premium gas tuning and you should be fine!

Good luck,

Old 05-22-2007, 02:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ethanol Sucks!

Originally Posted by CHUCKY_GONZO
And why would you want to run that crap in your vehicle?
Man, people just dont get it. Ethanol is a JOKE!
I just posted to another thread. Ethanol will NEVER help us. We cant produce enough and it's still crap to burn having sustantially less thermal energy than gasoline, ergo it takes MORE ethanol to travel the same distance as regular gas.
And HOW is that more efficient let alone better for the environment?!
WTF

Quick Reply: Superchips with E85???