04-08 5.4 3V Long Tubes

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 08:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04-08 5.4 3V Long Tubes

1st is Ruk Inudustries 04-07 Ford F150 2/4WD 4.6/5.4L Ceramic Coated Headers - These are pacesetter knock offs!! $389 + Shipping

Brand New Ceramic Coated Exhaust Headers for the Vehicle listed below. Add Power and Performance while Increasing Engine Efficiency. 1 3/4” Primaries and 3” Collector made from Mandrel bent mild steel tubing for maximum flow and durability. CNC machined thick steel flanges. Easy Installation. Ceramic Coated inside and outside for Increased Part Life, Maximum Performance, and a Great Finish. When headers are purchased they are sent to be coated.

2nd there is Pacesetter 04-08 Ford F150 Long Tube Ceramic Headers - $399 + Shipping

Off-road exhaust performance is within reach with these PaceSetter Quik-Trip Long Tube Headers. Not only are efficient flow, heavy sound and complete durability packed into the roaring long-tube design, but PaceSetter Quik-Trip Long Tube Headers are uniquely economical.

Smog-legal headers are too restrictive for off-road performance. That's why PaceSetter Quik-Trip Long Tube Headers are specifically engineered to cultivate power and eases under-hood temperatures.

PaceSetter Quik-Trip Long Tube Headers are always built to last and seal tight. Each uses 16-gauge mandrel-bent mild steel with thick flanges. Your choice of protective coatings finish each Header: black paint or PaceSetter Headers' exclusive Armor*Coat.

For straightforward installation, PaceSetter Quik-Trip Long Tube Headers bolt into place using included gaskets and the original factory bolts. Best yet, your PaceSetter Quik-Trip Long Tube Headers carry a 3-year warranty.

3rd is OBX Stainless Full Exhaust Header FORD F150 04-08 2WD 5.4L F-150 - THESE ARE DYNATECH KNOCK OFFS- $500

High Performance Track Proven Quality Headers From OBX Racing Sports. Header Gasket & Bolts Included. Dyno Proven, Increase Low End Torque And Horse Power. Great Throttle Response With Great Sound. Get Up To 35% Better Exhaust Gas Flow By Replacing The Restrictive And Inefficient Factory Cast Log Manifolds. Increase Better/Smoother Exhaust Flow At Higher RPM To Generate More Power And Maximum Performance Out Of Your Engine. Beautifully Constructed With High Quality SUS-T304 Stainless Steel For Best Durability. Mirror Polished Finishing. CNC Machined 3/8 inch Thick Flange(Best You Can Buy). Great Power Package to Unleashed Hidden Ponies From Your American Muscle. Best Price In The Industry. Great Fitment, Great Quality And Great Price Guaranteed. Actual Pictures, What You See Is What You Get! Come With OBX Limited Life Time Warranty.

4th Dynatech FORD F150 04-Up 2WD 5.4L SUPERMAXX HEADERS - $859.99

304 Stainless, 3/8" flanges, 1-5/8" Primary, 3" collector

5th American Racing 04-09 2wd 5.4L Longtube headers - $929

304 Stainless, 3/8 Flanges, 1-5/8" Primary with 2.5" collector

6th Stainless Works 04-08 Stainless Long Tube Headers - $865.82

Click Here for image...way to big to post.

304 Stainless, 3/8 Flanges, 1-3/4" Primary with 2.5" collector

EDIT:

Tools you will need.
A complete socket and ratchet set in 1/2, 3/8 and 1/4 sizes.
Several extensions in 3/8 and 1/4 sizes.
Several Swivels in 3/8 and 1/4 sizes.
Wrenches(ratchet wrenches are you friend)
Jack
Jack Stands
Lots "liquid wrench" or equivalent.

Time:
First time expect to spend 7-8 hours if not more.

Install tips:
A)Remove the inner fenders.

B)Soak the studs/nuts in "liquid wrench" over night. Don't be afraid to hit them twice.

C)Unbolt the starter from the transmission and set to the side. You can leave the wires hooked up. The top bolt is a **%& and this is where extensions/swivels come into play. I personally accessed the top bolt from in front of the motor snaking extensions/swivel sockets through...EDIT 26APR11: There is a right combo of socket/rachet/extension that allows you to easily remove the starter.. I just wish I took that measurement down.

D)Take off the two nuts holding the passenger side engine mount to the frame. Small little one and one big one. You will need to jack up the passenger side of the engine a few inches to get the factory manifold off, and the new headers on.

Notes:
A)I reused the factory nuts and studs when I did my OBX long tube swap. Some guys switch out to grade 8 locking header bolts. I have had no problems using my factory studs.

B)You will either need to purchase 02 extenders, or extend your 02 wires yourself.

C)The driver side will take about 20 minutes to install. The passenger side is the other 7+ hours. Follow some of the above tips and you could knock the passenger side out much faster.

D)Some people insist on using the ford factory exhaust gaskets. They are more right... I on the other hand did use the OBX gaskets on my install and have had no problems... Your risk!

EDIT UPDATE 26APR11: Dynatech Install Guide

Last edited by FATHERFORD; 04-26-2011 at 06:49 AM.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:55 AM
Now that I posted and started looking more, looks like RUK is knock offs of Pace Setters......

Old 11-12-2009, 09:15 AM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
I'd go for the OBX's

Old 11-12-2009, 01:37 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The OBX looks like a well crafted kit. The positives of the Dynatech is lifetime warranty and the cat & Y pipe is requested.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:59 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
IMO, Dynatech's are overpriced. I would go for the OBX's.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:01 PM
Drdudsads
Pacesetter has a online store with ebay. You would be surprised for what you could get ceramic coated with a y pipe for! Just make em a offer

Old 11-12-2009, 04:14 PM
No one makes a 1 5/8 primaries, i personally think the 1 3/4 accounted for the power loss with my long tube when i had them on.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:04 AM
im liking the obx, does that system come with cats or is it strictly off road

Old 11-13-2009, 12:15 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts
pacesetters are junk on the F150s

Old 11-13-2009, 03:03 AM
My dad has the OBX's in his lightning powered F150 and i believe the primaries are 1 5/8. They look nice, fitment is ok (y-pipe MUST be welded).

After running them for over a year + through the winter, the headers and y pipe look like the stock "stainless" exhaust piping that has the dark red rusted look on the exterior. Probably a normal thing with stainless + high heat.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:35 AM
Dynatechs were just too much for me, I couldn't at the time I was researching find the OBX's, I went and got the pacesetters with the ceramic coating. I have had them on since late spring or so of this year and no complaints yet. If I could of found them when I was in the market I would probably be sporting the OBX's right now.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:14 AM
I have always been a firm believer in you get what you pay for. I dont have any experience with Pacesetters or OBXs on these F-150s. I have seen how the Pacesetter headers fit up on F-Bodies (earlier gen Camaro) and they fit like crap. I have also played with OBX turbo manifolds on EVOs and while they were cheaper over half of the ones I saw cracked from to thin of materials.

Best headers on the market come from American Racing and Kooks hands down!! However, they dont make headers for our trucks. Dynatech is up there with Kooks and American Racing in terms of quality. The price posted up above really isnt that bad for a set of Longtube Headers. I paid way more than that for the LTs on my vette and GTO.

True stainless should never look like the stock factory manifolds. Stainless turns a golden/bronze color once heated up and will tarnish if oil or grease gets on it. However, it should never rust like someone mentioned above using the OBX headers. Go with the Dynatechs!!

Old 11-13-2009, 10:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wow, I like that OBX kit.

Old 11-14-2009, 01:36 PM
I have read great post about Pacestter LT Headers, but it is true, what you pay for is what you get! I also like that OBX kit, I might buy that kit.

Old 11-14-2009, 08:22 PM
why do the obx headers have 3 bungs for the 02 sensors there is 2 on the cats and 1 on each side of the y pipe

Quick Reply: 04-08 5.4 3V Long Tubes