Lightning

Love My '99.5

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-1999, 05:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Love My '99.5

I'm new to the list, so just wanted to introduce myself.

After placing my order on March 29, I picked up my '99.5 about 3 weeks ago and love it! I got a Black one - the fast color. Paid MSRP. Got the CD changer and Class III hitch.

Sold my Syclone (with just 26,000 miles) the week before the Lightning came in. Hated to see the little Sy go (owned it for 6 years)but I've wanted a Lightning for a long time and the '99 was just too good to say no to.

Have installed an A.R.E. hard tonneau and a BedRug bed liner and can't say enough good things about them. They're perfect. Lot's of compliments. Also installed 16% tint on the side and back windows.

Next new item will be the 3M Scotchcal clear plastic protective coating sold by Invinca-Shield (and others). I've been working with Invinca-Shield and their local distributor to develop a pre-cut kit for the '99 Lightning and it should be ready in the next few days. My neighbor has used Incinca-Shield to protect his '94 Hummer, '98 Corvette and '99 Boxter 310S and he swears by the stuff.

Well, enough for now. Thanks for reading this and I look forward to listening and learning.

Mike Philpott
Orlando, FL
'99.5 Black Lightning
'90 Black SHO
'94 Black FXLR

Old 07-25-1999, 08:53 PM
Question

Welcome F150SVT,

Congratulations on becoming a Lightning owner! My best friend had a Syclone back when they first came out. He had it for probably 5 years before he sold it, but ever since then I knew I had to have a vehicle like that..... and the Lightning sure fits the bill. The Syclone was just too small for my size, but certainly fast enough. I’ve been very impressed with the Lightning’s ability to hook-up which I felt might be a concern without the 4WD of your Syclone.

As far as the 3M Scotchcal goes, will Invecta-Shield be installing it for you or just providing the kit? What surfaces will the kit cover? Obviously I have heard of it before, but have never looked for a dealer here in Arizona. If it is not a do-it-yourself item, when you talk to Invecta-Shield again, could you find out who they have as a distributor in the Phoenix Arizona area?

Thanks again and good luck.

For those who want more information on 3M Scotchcal, visit their web sit at http://www2.mmm.com/us/auto_marine_a...scotchcal.html

------------------
Joel.......
99.5 White Lightning, all the required options.
Superchip is in the mail!!

Old 07-25-1999, 09:45 PM
Joel,

Invinca-Shield is going to install the kit. They are willing to just send it to me, but it is a very involved and tedius procedure and takes a pro installer all day long to put it on, so I'm going to let them do it.

The full kit (3 lesser versions are available) consists of 22 cut-to-size pieces of 8 mil Scotchcal. It covers the front part of the hood, grill, bumper, fog light trim, spoiler, cab top, end caps, door pillars, and the lower rocker panels. Lots of protection from scratches and stone chips for a vehicle that can use all the protection it can get.

Price will vary by installer but should run around $550-600 installed for the full kit. (They put it on Ferrari's and Lambo's at the dealer here in Orlando and charge around $3,000! My neighbor paid $1,200 for his Boxter 310S.) It is warrantied for 5 years and they will pay you up to $1,000 if your paint is damaged by stone chips. And, if you should ever want to, it can be removed without damage to the paint.

The Invinca-Shield home office is in North Carolina but they have dealer/installers all over. Their toll-free number is 1-888-558-4034. Ask to speak with Beth McCormick (and tell her Mike said hello). She will send you a sample of the Scotchcal and a drawing showing all the kit components. They have just taken the measurements for the '99 Lightning and are in the process of test fitting the prototype kit. As soon as that process is completed, the kits will be ready to ship.

The Invinca-Shield website can be found at: http://www.invinca-shield.com/ .

Mike Philpott

Old 07-26-1999, 07:47 PM
Hey F150AVT Mike....

Guess who.....

Are We ate up with excitement er what???

Jeff C

Old 07-26-1999, 09:09 PM
Talking

Thanks for the info Mike. Please let us know what you think of kit after the installation. It is a very interesting idea and I would love to know if you recommend it after you’ve had it awhile…… you know what happens after you wash it and do you wax those surfaces too? I don’t ever expect to take mine off the comfort of a good clean asphalt surface, but you never know what will happen.

Thanks………

------------------
Joel.......
99.5 White Lightning, all the required options.
Superchip is in the mail!!

Old 07-26-1999, 09:18 PM
Hey, Twisted Jeff,

You know it brother! Hope the insurance gods are smilin' on 'ya and you end up with that slightly used but UN-twisted black '99 and get to trade in your '93 to boot.

Best of luck,
Mike

Old 07-26-1999, 09:39 PM
Joel,

I will post a full report after installation but I can tell you now what my neighbor says. He polishes the Scotchcal like it wasn't there. Only thing is that the polish tends to stick to the edges of the film, so you may need to detail those edges.

My neighbor is the most car-**** person I've ever known and he loves the Scotchcal (and the job Invinca-Shield did installing it). His wife's '98 Vette used it for almost a year and her '99 Boxter 310S (first one in the U.S.) has had it applied for 3 or 4 months. No complaints whatsoever thus far.

Like you (and most others, I suspect) I will not be driving my Lightning off the paved surfaces. However, what I'm concerned about is picking up stone chips from semi's on the interstate. I think the Scotchcal coating will make that fear a thing of the past.

Mike Philpott

Old 07-27-1999, 03:30 AM
Mike,
Can you give me the #s for Scotchcal coating in Orlando. This sounds very intresting, plus it covers more of the front end than your average bug deflector correct?
Do they mention how easy/hard it is to clean bug splatters/dirt/etc. Do they waranty the material for any length of time?
If it can take the FL elements,its got to be tough!
Thanks for this info..

------------------
John Rock
99.5 White Lightning
Melbourne,FL

Old 07-27-1999, 04:33 AM
John,

It's somehow comforting to know I'm not the only one up in the middle of the night.

The local Invinca-Shield (Scotchcal) installer that I am doing business with is named Alan Seligman. He is located in Altamonte Springs (just north of Orlando). His phone number is 407-331-5640 and his email is invincaman@aol.com . He's going to install the coating at my house and I think that's what he normally does. If Melborne is too far for him to travel, just call Beth McCormick at Invinca-Shield's home office at 1-888-558-4034, and she will let you know if there is an installer closer to you. Also, check out the Invinca-Shield website at http://www.invinca-shield.com/ .

As for bug splats, the Invinca-Shield motto is "The Bug Stops Here." Those love bugs will just wipe off with a damp rag. No more paint damage from bug juice. And, it covers the entire front end plus the lower sides.

Let me know if you, or anyone else, has any other questions. Invinca-Shield should have the '99 Lightning kits ready by the end of this week and I'm getting my '99 covered as soon thereafter as possible.

Mike Philpott

Old 07-27-1999, 05:39 AM
Thumbs up

F150SVT: Iam up!!!!

------------------
97 F150 XLT, 5.4, EXTANG,SUPERCHIP, EDELBROCK SHOCKS,
GIBSON SPLIT REAR,
HELLWIG SWAY BAR,
AIRAID, BOSCH +4,
SONY ES-CDX880 HEAD,
SONY ES-XM5046 AMP
BOSTON PRO'S 6.5 FRONT

Old 07-27-1999, 01:41 PM
John,

Just realized I didn't answer your warranty question. Invinca-Shield guarantees their Scotchcal film not to yellow, peel, crack or shrink for 5 years. And, they have a repair warranty of up to $1,000 if your paint is chipped, pitted or scratched after it is covered. Not bad.

Indy,

Maybe all of us early/late birds should meet over at the local pool hall and shoot a couple games of eight ball or something. Nah, on second thought, think I'll just go take a nap.

Mike

Old 07-31-1999, 04:04 PM
Talking

New to F-150 Online still trying to get around, spent hrs reading all the posts, LOVE IT!!!!!! Almost as much as I LOVE my truck.

------------------
1999 Black Lightning SVT all options, (Factory soft tonneau cover, 6 Disc CD, Class III towing hitch), Loyd one piece floormat (Fits well, looks good), Tail light covers (Killer painted black to match), Black spray in bed liner (looks very good), Windows tinted gray 15% on doors, Dark Limo on back glass, Ordered 1st truck 1/21/99 till salesman told me a $5000 premium would be added, On the same day ordered second truck 2/24/99 (BEFORE getting my check back), Took delivery 6/21/99 After MANY many MANY promised ETA dates, Build date of 5/20/99

Old 07-31-1999, 04:10 PM
I see alot of you say 99.5 are you guys and gals useing the as a term? No place on my truck or paper work do I see an indication of this?

------------------
1999 Black Lightning SVT all options, (Factory soft tonneau cover, 6 Disc CD, Class III towing hitch), Loyd one piece floormat (Fits well, looks good), Tail light covers (Killer painted black to match), Black spray in bed liner (looks very good), Windows tinted gray 15% on doors, Dark Limo on back glass, Ordered 1st truck 1/21/99 till salesman told me a $5000 premium would be added, On the same day ordered second truck 2/24/99 (BEFORE getting my check back), Took delivery 6/21/99 After MANY many MANY promised ETA dates, Build date of 5/20/99

Old 07-31-1999, 05:26 PM
Welcome to the list, SVT54SC! Glad to have you aboard.

Some of us use the '99.5 designation just because SVT was so late bringing the new Lightning to market that it really is a midyear model. Officially, though, Ford lists them as '99's.

Regards,

Mike Philpott

Old 07-31-1999, 06:25 PM
Amen on the SLOW!!!!! I didn't think I was ever going to get it. Told the wife if I don't get the 99 Lightning I was getting a 95 and Harley (same money).... She said you had better got the truck or your going to be disappointed. Meaning the bikes not an option.

------------------

Quick Reply: Love My '99.5