Lightning

1/4 mile performance

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-1999, 04:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did , see above, within 9 hp of their run, 2-different trucks, i am in the south, where do Bo & Luke do their "Trucks" show from? (Beverly Hills)

Old 06-20-1999, 06:06 PM
I live in Michigan. Mel and Stacy {are males} do Trucks! over here. {their studio isnt located here though I dont think}

------------------
1999 Ford F150 XLT 4x2, Cloth Seats, Amazon green, 16" All season tires, Soft Tonneau Cover, CD Player, 4.6 liter Triton V8, 3:55 ls, towing package, 4 speed auto, K&N Airfilter, soon Superchip and K&N GEN II.

Fast46Triton

The "Shovie" eater!

Old 06-21-1999, 10:52 AM
PFA
Dunbarton,

Just for the record, my gauge is showing full boost (8-10 pounds). Weather this is accurate or not I don't know. I plan on getting a Superchip for it, as soon as I save the money up.

Even after the chip I think you'll agree it would still stand to better whichever parts possible on the engine. It does take time to do the mechanical experiments, but they do prove to be interesting. Unfortunately K+N does not have a setup for the Lightning yet. I talked to SVT and asked them what they could tell me that could improve the Lightnings power. He said that most factory cars do not get enough air, "If you can read between the lines". So from that I'm going to keep trying to increase the airflow until someone comes out with something.

SVT also said they had not heard of any other problems with the Lightning except the problem with the waterpump, which was a supplier problem early on. Has not even heard of the piston-slapping noise.

PFA

'99 WHITE LIGHTNING

[This message has been edited by PFA (edited 06-21-1999).]

Old 06-21-1999, 04:16 PM
Hey guys,

Sorry I was away all weekend. For the record, my truck already has a chip. Hypertech, who is located here in Memphis, used my truck as a tester for the Lightning chip. They kept it for a whole day testing the motor and transmission settings. I fully believe this is the only reason that my truck is in the 13's. The engineer at Hypertech did say however that my truck had 10 more hp at wheels than the other lightning they tested. That's just one of those factory tolerances.

I think my final dyno numbers were 318 hp and 398 lb-ft. with chip installed.

I can tell you one thing for sure after six 1/4 passes the other night. You may not be able to notice this on the street, but the third gear in our trucks is all wrong for drag-racing. Once you get your launch technique down, you can come out of the hole like a banshee, and thanks to more line pressure in tranny from chip, it will shift perfectly into second without loosing any boost or momentum....but when the shift to third comes about 2/3 down the track, the truck FALLS on its face, for what seems like an eternity, loosing boost, power, and momentum. I know this is a production truck, but I don't think SVT messed with the gear ratio in the tranny at all. If the shift from 2nd to 3rd was as good as 1st to 2nd, the truck would already be in the mid-to-low 13's, easily.

I was going to try manually holding the truck in second longer and shift manually to third but I didn't get a chance to try it. Besides that, I think the 2nd and 3rd ratios are just too far apart. Oh well, they are still very fast trucks.

Later,

Collin

P.S. Has anyone heard of an aftermarket pulley yet?

Old 06-21-1999, 05:28 PM
Really Old "Member"

Hi Guys.

1. Spent almost an hour on the TNN web page trying to order a copy of the Trucks program on the Lightning. No luck. Anyone tape it? I'll pay all costs to get a copy.

2. Experience the same situation with the 2-3 shift. As have no boost gauge yet and have not been to a strip, this all seat of pants feeling.

3. Could be wrong, but I think Superchip guys are working on this as well as other enhancements. I may go to Orlando to have them use my truck as a lab mule for a day or so when they are ready to do the second generation chip.

I have read on other threads about alternative pulleys. Again, check with Superchip or Mike Troyer.

Bill Murray

Old 06-21-1999, 08:18 PM
PFA, et al:

I agree with you. And your boost seems to be what it should be.

Keep in mind, since you mentioned only 1800 miles on your Lightning, that it should "loosen up" when you have more miles on it.

I know are trucks are vastly different but I have about 5700 miles on my truck now and I am getting noticeably better gas mileage and it seems to just "wind up" quicker now. You should see some improvement with more miles on yours. It has been mentioned here that this seems to be the case with everyone who pays strict attention to these items and I certainly don't dispute it now that I have experienced it personally.

You may pick up a couple of "tenths" when all this happens. I have seen this personally years ago in the older "Muscle Cars." I would also be willing to bet that A SuperChip will knock off another .5 tenths off your time but since this is a much more complicated issue than with my truck, Mike Troyer/SuperChips can advise the progress of SuperChips with the Lightning better than I can.

On another issue, and I don't know what transmissions the Lightnings have, but I have noticed exactly what Bill Murray and Collin have noticed with my truck, "off the line" with mine is good through second gear, but from 2 to 3 gear, there is a big lapse until the rpms can catch up again. I know this is probably the gear ratios and there is nothing I can do about it.

Does anyone know specifically what transmission your Lightnings have?

While this topic does not relate to me specifically, I envy ALL you guys, want to see you get the most out of these trucks you can as it reminds me of my old amatuer drag strip "Muscle Car" days ....... it never goes away!

------------------
Dunbarton "The Middle Aged Kid" '99 XLT SC SB 4x2 4.6 auto 3.55 ls The Z-71 Eater!
Wedgewood & Denim "Blue Lightning" SuperChipped, Airaid FIPK
Man, I got it all!

Old 06-21-1999, 10:24 PM
gp
bill murray,post a mailing address or email me at gilperry@hotmail.com and i will send you a copy of the tnn show and the car and driver show.im still waiting on my truck but sooner or later its coming.

Old 06-22-1999, 07:56 AM
Really Old "Member"

Morning Gil:

Thanks for generous offer.
E-Mail is MOSTOYSINC@AOL.COM

Mailing address:

HobbyTown USA
800 E. Barrett Parkway #20
Kennesaw, Ga. 30144

I will send a check for whatever you need to do this.

Keep the faith. If like me and a lot of the other fellows, you will really fall in love with your Lightning. It's like nothing I have ever driven, and I've driven some pretty interesting machinery.

Many thanks again.

Bill Murray

Old 06-22-1999, 01:40 PM
Really Old "Member"

Food for thought.

Re: 2nd to 3d shift vs. 1st to 2nd.

Finally found spec sheet on gear ratios and speeds in each gear from SVT.

I am no mathematician (can't even spell it)
but FMC chart shows max in 1st as 45, 2nd
80 and 3d 125. If my calculator still works, that's a 29% difference. It does not calculate that way with the gear ratios themselves, but that may be the multiplier effect of the rear axle ratio. The gear ratio calculation shows an 11% difference or larger gap between 2/3 vs. 1/2.

Given the weight and air resistance as additional factors, that may explain at least part of the puzzle regarding the boggy 2/3 shifts compared to the 1/2

------------------

Bill Murray
60 going on 17 w/my:
99.5 White Lightning
Bone Stock for now.
Stay tuned.

Old 06-22-1999, 06:36 PM
Bill,

Did they tell you specifically what numeric values the gear ratios are? This is what I was looking for regarding slow to respond after shifting from 2 - 3.

------------------
Dunbarton "The Middle Aged Kid" '99 XLT SC SB 4x2 4.6 auto 3.55 ls The Z-71 Eater!
Wedgewood & Denim "Blue Lightning" SuperChipped, Airaid FIPK
Man, I got it all!

Old 06-22-1999, 11:26 PM
Dunbarton....for your info....

Gear Ratio Max Speed

1st 2.71 45 mph
2nd 1.53 80 mph
3rd 1.00 125 mph
4th 0.71 140 mph
Reverse 2.176

Final Drive 3.55:1

[This message has been edited by TybeeC5 (edited 06-22-1999).]

Old 06-23-1999, 12:17 AM
I'm hoping someone with more experience can help me out here...I've always owned vehicles with manual transmissions before, what's the secret to getting a good launch with my Lightning? I'm hoping it's because mine isn't broken in yet, but it seems to come off the line a little slowly (OK, I guess that statement's relative, it comes off slower than I think it should.)before the boost kicks in. I seem to be getting the proper amount of boost (according to the gauge, at least) but it does seem to hesitate before coming on. Also, is there a related trick to breaking the rear tires loose?

------------------
RacerX

'99 SVT Lightning, Black

Old 06-23-1999, 12:24 AM
Dunbarton
The transmission is a 4R100 in a E4OD housing. The torque converter is from the F450 application.

Old 06-23-1999, 12:31 AM
Really Old "Member"

RacerX:

1. It will likely get better as you get miles on it.

2. In this board "Lightning" are perhaps 10 or so postings about off the line performance and performance in general.

3. Use the search feature, heading Lightning, and you will get into 200 plus postings, again many addressing your question.

4. If all else fails, run it against the brakes to about 1700 rpm, floor it, and then reach for your wallet. Once to pay the ticket and then to buy new tires. They will break loose, believe us.

------------------

Bill Murray
60 going on 17 w/my:
99.5 White Lightning
Bone Stock for now.
Stay tuned.

Old 06-29-1999, 01:36 PM
Really Old "Member"

GP (GilPerry)

Tape arrived today and immediately went into the VC player on our 54" TV at HobbyTown.

Thanks a bunch!!!

I will try to find a place that sells Pepsi down here, but most likely, we will end up with Coke!

Any news on your delivery date?

------------------

Bill Murray
60 going on 17 w/my:
99.5 White Lightning
Bone Stock for now.
Stay tuned.

Quick Reply: 1/4 mile performance