Lightning

The REAL reason the Red Rocket died.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 06:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The mechanic seems to know his stuff. I can't see any harm in giving Patriot a call and explaining the problem to them. Give them the mechanic's phone and Sal's phone if they want to check it out. They worst that can happen is they say no.

Dan

Old 03-02-2007, 06:29 PM
Excellent info Gregg
Dam who would have ever guessed

You can either open a Pic Gallery here or just e-mail me the pictures and I'll post them here within minutes of recieving them
rob3832@hotmail.com

Old 03-02-2007, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by SVTARKANSAS
The mechanic seems to know his stuff. I can't see any harm in giving Patriot a call and explaining the problem to them. Give them the mechanic's phone and Sal's phone if they want to check it out. They worst that can happen is they say no.

Dan
I agree.. .

Where can I post pics?

Old 03-02-2007, 07:18 PM
Either open a Pic Gallery here
https://www.f150online.com/galleries/index.cfm

or e-mail me the pictures and I'll post them
rob3832@hotmail.com

Old 03-02-2007, 08:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For whats it worth.........

I never had those POS Patriot heads on either of my built motors. I don't believe in going cheap on performance, so I decided to stay far away from them. I did talk to Gunner numerous times, but you always get what you pay for.

It always bites you in the *** when you try to go cheap.

I only posted to say that Rob would not have sold something that he thought was bad. Please leave me out of this F150 drama. Another reason why I only pass thru

Old 03-02-2007, 09:31 PM
Sorry bout that Gator,
I thought you did, I am sorry and I stand corrected...

Old 03-02-2007, 09:34 PM

: o ()

Old 03-02-2007, 10:33 PM
Thanks ROB!!!!

Hope it all helps the DRAMA...

Old 03-02-2007, 10:48 PM
and there was silence...

Old 03-03-2007, 12:50 AM
sounds like you have a competent engine builder, Id like to know how he got the motor out without pulling the oil cooler

Old 03-03-2007, 02:27 AM
Originally Posted by NCsvt2003L
+1, I'd wish someone would cast heads for us that would dramatically flow more, but nobody does.
4 valve conversion.

Old 03-03-2007, 08:41 AM
Originally Posted by Rob_00Lightning
and there was silence...

Looks like the "pinhole" was right where Patriot was porting...........I have a hard time understanding how that "pinhole" could have filled two cylinders in the short time the truck was parked.

Either way, it sure sucks

Old 03-03-2007, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by Fast Gator
Looks like the "pinhole" was right where Patriot was porting...........I have a hard time understanding how that "pinhole" could have filled two cylinders in the short time the truck was parked.

Either way, it sure sucks

Gator that had me stumped too :o ()
But after re-reading the Mechanics E-Mail to Gregg and seeing the pictures I now fully understand it. Now that we can see where the water was coming from there's surly no mystery on how it got into #1 Cylinder. If even a small amount got in there once the motor fired it would Hydo Lock and bye bye rod. The part I didnt understand at first was how it could hurt #5, but now I realize the damage to #5 was 100% caused from the bent #1 rod rubbing against the next rod in line (#5). I also now understand what you and others were saying about how over porting could leave the wall thin. Again I'm not a head expert but I think we all can agree there are Thousands of Patriot Heads out there on various diff Vehicles and one would have to assume they havent been around this long for doing something that wrong. No as the mechanic said this is just one of those I CANT ****** BELIEVE THATS WHAT HAPPEN situations, and it happen to a great guy and that sucks...

Old 03-03-2007, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by Rob_99Lightning
I also now understand what you and others were saying about how over porting could leave the wall thin. Again I'm not a head expert but I think we all can agree there are Thousands of Patriot Heads out there on various diff Vehicles and one would have to assume they havent been around this long for doing something that wrong. No as the mechanic said this is just one of those I CANT ****** BELIEVE THATS WHAT HAPPEN situations, and it happen to a great guy and that sucks...
Yes, its easy to see how the first bent rod made connect with the second rod.
As far as Patriot is concerned, its not like those heads where bolted onto the truck, then the motor failed. There are many miles and many heat cycles on those heads before the failure. That doesn't make sense that it just failed.
Unless ever time the engine was shut off that bad cylinder was on an exhaust stroke and pushed the water out the port and this time that cylinder just happened to be on the compression stroke.
I would be very curious to hear what Patriot will have to say about this

Old 03-03-2007, 02:24 PM
I'll add my two cents too this......What might have caused a failure like that, and I emphasize might could have been the ph of the antifreeze...If it was on the acidic side then it definitely could have produced a small hole like that....And if that is the case, I would take a close look at the radiator, and intercooler, because soft aluminum is even more prone to be corroded by an acidic fluid....Just my 2 cents.....Hope it all works out for ya man....

Quick Reply: The REAL reason the Red Rocket died.