efan write up with pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 01:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
efan write up with pics

Finished up the efan install about 2 weeks ago and Im finally getting the pics up. Took longer then I had expected because of the wiring. I wanted to hide as much of the wiring as possible to keep a stock look. the easiest part was pulling all the stock crap out. I had to rent a Ford clutch removal kit for the 4.9L motor for $20 at autozone but I got my money back when i returned it. I got my 16" efans off of ebay for $25 each brand new. they came from upstate new york to socal in just 4 days so my hat is off to the seller for great service.

Here is the fans installed on the back of the radiator with the bulk of the wiring done.

Here is a view from above to show all the extra room i have now. having trouble changing belts is a thing of the past.

This bundle of wires orriginally went to the stock fan clutch. I used the possitive ignition wire in the bundle for the 12v switched source my controller required. This way the fans only can run when the power is on.

I got my Delta Current Controller off line as well for around $120, dont remember the exact price. Its mounted on the passenger side with double sided tape.

Last edited by luckythirteen13; 04-07-2008 at 01:35 AM.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:34 AM
I didnt want to tap into the ac wires all the way below the truck so i crawled under there just to see what color they were. one was greyish with a black stripe, the other was all block. i followed the line back up near the valve covers and opened up the harnes a little so i could find those wires. i tested the grey/black one first and that turned out to be the right one so i tapped it with the blue wire in my kit. once i go back with some electrical tape, no one will ever know i tapped any wires and itll look stock again.

Here is what it looks like with that shroud cap back in place. I like having it on because it hides all the wires and looks cleaner.

i took my g/f for a test drive. i was just driving around slow in the neighborhood to see how it felt down low and before i made any comments my g/f said she could tell there was a huge difference. i felt it too. when slowing down from driving speed you notice a difference as well. the truck seems to just keep going instead of feeling like its slowing down right away. in the end i paid less then $200 which is half what any aftermarket company charges and the DC controller is top of the line, you cant even compare it to the controllers that come with other kits. Hp gains were very noticeable down low which is great for daily driving, towing and improved MPGs

Old 04-07-2008, 04:05 AM
I know what you mean by it "not slowing down" when you let off the gas. UD pulleys only amplify the feeling.

It's kinnda funny when you sneak up on people because they can't hear you come up behind them.

But really, though, that's a nice clean install you have. The DC Controller makes it easy, doesn't it?

As a side note, that's where I have my controller set up as well, and I've noticed that one of my post/terminals was starting to rust. Went out and got some di-electric grease. I think there might be some pooling of water that's getting under the hood or something. Got that sucker covered with a plastic bag right now till I can make a cover out of plastic or something.

Last edited by ELVATO; 04-07-2008 at 04:11 AM.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:23 AM
How is the fan installation holding up?

Old 02-01-2011, 02:36 PM
how did you connect the fans to the radiator?

Old 02-01-2011, 04:34 PM
200 dollars? ouch i got mine installed and working for under 30

Old 02-02-2011, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by shifty_85
200 dollars? ouch i got mine installed and working for under 30
I'd like to see a comparative photo of his to yours...

A used lincoln fan... With god knows what kind of controls..

As opposed to all new..

I'd pay $200 anyday for something new and "neat"

Over junkyard parts for $30

Not to be insulting...

Trending Topics

Old 02-02-2011, 08:57 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by biggoldie

As opposed to all new..

Not to be insulting...
To be fair bud, that Lincoln fan will very handily outflow those very cheap ebay knockoffs. And - while not as elegant as a DCControlller, a simple on/off controller or even manual switching will suffice for some. Everyone has different needs & priorities.

Shifty is one of the good guys

OP - that beautiful controller is just crying to run some true Quality fans that actually provide rated CFM's. Derale Tornado's, Spal Extremes, 2010 OEM fans, etc.

As long as you don't put the dang thing in a baggie - that is a good way to peckerate it. Right, Jose?

And - as importantly - be advised that those crimp-on blue splice connector thingies are gonna cause you grief down the road. Best-practice = solder + heatshrink + liquid tape.

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 02-02-2011 at 09:01 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:47 AM
I totally agree, and like I said, I meant nothing insulting by it.

I read a lot of posts about the lincoln fan swap...

I tried to find a linc fan for my 2002 4.6... But I could never find one that didn't look like it was through a war...Or was already taken... Junk yards around here say they are a hot item.

Anyways, my apologies to shifty, I meant no insult...

Old 02-02-2011, 11:35 AM

As opposed to all new..

Not to be insulting...
I totally agree, and like I said, I meant nothing insulting by it.

I read a lot of posts about the lincoln fan swap...

I tried to find a linc fan for my 2002 4.6... But I could never find one that didn't look like it was through a war...Or was already taken... Junk yards around here say they are a hot item.

Anyways, my apologies to shifty, I meant no insult...
no insult taken mine does not have fancy controls. i have a 12volt wire from the batt. with a 30amp fuse in it. goes to the dash with a 12volt switch. that then goes out to my Mark 8 fan. i got lucky and i had holes in the top and bottom of the rad for zippy ties. some wire loom and it looks stock. lemme find a picture.

Heres a pic when i just put it on.

Here is how powerful it is. its able to suck paper on the grill threw the rad. AC and all that empty space. this was before i put the plastic cover back on and wire loom it looks pretty now.

Made for 30 bucks and cools my truck like no 2 morro. But thats cool you payed 200

Last edited by shifty_85; 02-02-2011 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:47 AM
Holy, that thing sure can suck!

Good job man...

I have no idea why I said what I said...

Since I was gunna do the same thing as you...

Sorry dude...

My mouth tastes like rubber and leather..

Old 02-03-2011, 03:05 AM
haha no worrys. im used to getting bashed and insulted and flamed on this site. i take it all in stride thoe.

i started it by calling you out for spending 200 bucks on E-fans but you are right you get a brand new set of fans brand new wires connectors and switchs.

Were as i have no idea what my Mark 8 fan has been threw all i know is when i flick it on when my temp hits 200* my truck cools down in a hurry the down side is this thing draws over 10amps on start up lol.

Quick Reply: efan write up with pics