wrecked 04 f-150

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 11:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wrecked 04 f-150

had an accident with my truck. need to put it back together myself. complete front end damge. everything was pushed back to the fan and destroyed but no major engine damage or frame damage. need advice on where to get parts and exactly what is what: anything A/C or tranny. need to get it runnining again. please help.

Last edited by thebeaner; 12-29-2007 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
without pictures or anything, we cant tell you want needs replaced...

Old 12-29-2007, 11:47 AM
my grille was smashed, the thing in front of my rad support was destroyed, my rad support was broke, my rad no good, my fan cracked. also tranny cooler which i believe is in front of the frame rail was damaged and the aluminum thing above it was also damaged. i think they are both for the AC unit but am not positive.
also had a lot of trouble getting the rad support out and am not sure how i am going to get a new one in. with the front mounts in my way i may have to cut it and get it welded. is their an easy way to get the front mounts out?
there are more in the gallery. 2004 wrecked

Last edited by thebeaner; 12-29-2007 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by thebeaner
my grille was smashed, the thing in front of my rad support was destroyed, my rad support was broke, my rad no good, my fan cracked. also tranny cooler which i believe is in front of the frame rail was damaged and the aluminum thing above it was also damaged. i think they are both for the AC unit but am not positive.
also had a lot of trouble getting the rad support out and am not sure how i am going to get a new one in. with the front mounts in my way i may have to cut it and get it welded. is their an easy way to get the front mounts out?
there are more in the gallery. 2004 wrecked

How about a link to your gallery?

Old 12-29-2007, 04:11 PM
Old 12-29-2007, 05:46 PM
WOW Your very luckey to walk away from that one I think its a total loss It will cost you a few $$$$ to put it back together if its comming out of your pocket What about insurance ? Good luck

Old 12-29-2007, 08:46 PM
My best suggestion is not to fix it yourself, but if you choose to ignore that, find a whole nose from a good wrecking yard. spend the money don't buy junk quality, find a low mileage nose. Get the wiring harness with it you are going to need it. Something off a rear hit is best.

the radiator and AC condenser are available after market for short money I bet. Make friends with a body man who will order them from Keystone Empire, Veng, etc. A used nose should have these parts included.

Find someone to look at the frame before you get too far into this. Strip the old nose off it so they can get a good look at it. Best case scenerio is the front of the rails are sucked in and out of level, worse case you are looking at level, sway, rail length and diamonding. These frames can be fixed if there is minor damage to the rail ends, but Ford says it is a no no... they want you to section a new rail end in. The rails are designed to collapse and they are a b*tch to fix if they are hit hard. Cash talks... find a body shop with a reputation for frame work ( that is all my shop does is frame work... nothing else) and sub the frame work out to them.

You'll need the special tools to break down the AC lines, fuel lines, etc.

If you can find the sheet metal at a junk yard but not the lights, the lights , bumper and grille are available aftermarket. The exterior sheet metal is too, but it is usually crap that doesn't fit. One reason you want a used factory nose is for all the little clips, nuts bolts and assorted nickel and dime parts that are going to drive you nuts.

good luck

Old 12-29-2007, 09:10 PM
OK I have looked at your pictures... I see you need a left door complete .. mirror, glass, etc.

Did your air bags deploy?

You really need to be an exceptionally talented shade tree mechanic/ body man to fix something with that much damage. Really I have a full body and frame shop at my disposal and I wold expect that thing would need several thousand dollars in parts and a good 3 weeks of spare time to fix...

I see there is at least one flat tire. Did you bend the control arms? suspension/steering damage?

Old 12-29-2007, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by Neggy
OK I have looked at your pictures... I see you need a left door complete .. mirror, glass, etc.

Did your air bags deploy?

You really need to be an exceptionally talented shade tree mechanic/ body man to fix something with that much damage. Really I have a full body and frame shop at my disposal and I wold expect that thing would need several thousand dollars in parts and a good 3 weeks of spare time to fix...

I see there is at least one flat tire. Did you bend the control arms? suspension/steering damage?
If you looked in his pictures The air bag did not deploy

Old 12-29-2007, 10:05 PM
ouch that sucks

Old 12-29-2007, 10:35 PM
i hate to be the rain on your parade here but im just gonna be blunt.

either part that thing out or scrap it. youre looking at easily 5-6k worth of repairs. very likely more than that if you bent your engine mounts, have to rebuild the front of the frame, need a new front axle etc...But if money is no object then fix away, though the truck will most likely never drive/ ride like it used to.

i am a little confused as to why you your insurance company is'nt covering this. even with a 500$ deductable your still golden if they pay for it minus the 500$

Old 12-30-2007, 12:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you dont know what needs fixed... I suggest not doing the repair. that is pretty bad

Old 12-30-2007, 03:39 AM
holy ****, how is that not totaled?

Old 12-30-2007, 09:06 AM
I would say 2 quarts of bondo and a pint of Windex should do it. Seriously, junk it or have someone do it right. I imagine there are some circumstances as to why you need to fix this yourself, but they bettter be pretty severe as that isnt just a fender bender you got there.. I am glad you were not hurt, but please like built said, if you dont know what needs fixed.....

Old 12-30-2007, 10:24 AM
I DID look at the pictures and I could not see if the drivers bag deployed. I didn't see a clear picture of the dash... did I miss something?

The only way to fix that truck is to jack up the radiator cap and slide a new truck under it.

I do "rebuildables" all the time... stuff customers buy out of the insurance auctions that were totaled. If someone brought me that truck they would have to have very deep pockets filled with 100 dollar bills.

cut your losses, take the money you'd pay to fix it, and put it towards a new ride. you'll be ahead of the game in the end.

The cab A pillar is probably pushed in a bit... you'll never get a door to fit in the hole or be water/air tight without time on a frame machine, in addition to the front end damage.

Wait till you see what red paint costs. In my area it is about 115 dollars a pint. you'll need 3 pints to do that job, plus primer, clear, and reducers.

Start looking for a truck with a rear hit or a junk motor and but your good parts in that truck.

Quick Reply: wrecked 04 f-150