Lightning

Quick Time Electric Cutout

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 10:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick Time Electric Cutout

Hey all,

I'm looking to order one of these QTEC's from http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/QTEC/index.html

Not sure if anyone else has done this, or has input to add on this product. Anything is appreciated. Also, there are alot of options on this site as far as packages to purchase, exhaust sizes, dual and single, etc.

I'm wanting to keep my stock exhaust, and try this out for some nice sound. Anyone have some advice as to which package would best suit the L?

Thanks!

Old 09-21-2004, 11:16 PM
i dont know if things have changed but last i checked those electric cut outs have had leak problems, and you lose power when they're closed. Why not just buy a magnaflow/silver bullet/bassani/borla cat back and just add baffles when you don't want agressive sound?

Old 09-21-2004, 11:25 PM
I want to keep my truck exhaust mostly stock. Also, the price. I think this is a nice alternative.

Old 09-21-2004, 11:58 PM
I have cutouts, but not the electric ones, although it would be nice instead of getting under my truck each time i want to be quiet. I can tell you right now, it is loud a$$ *****. Nice rumble but a lot of droan in the cab, if you want agressive and attention its a good thing, but you will get annoyed at times.

Old 09-22-2004, 12:06 AM
What company did you get yours from? Apparently, the ones from http://www.mccordcg.com/mpp/mpp.htm

...have a butterfly that reduces or eliminates any drone.

Old 09-22-2004, 11:20 AM
I have the QTP Electric cutout on my truck. its right after my high flow cats because if it were before it would bypass the rear 02 censors and screw things up.

and even after the cats, its loud as chit!!!! i love it. its ridiculously loud from the outside, and inside the cab its pretty loud too with alot of drone, but thats the beauty of an electric cutout. if you want it quiet again just flip it closed so you can have a conversation inside the truck if you want to be loud and obnoxious, flip it open, and crank up the radio if you dont wanna hear it from inside

the QTP is a really high quality cutout, i was supriseed how beefy the butterfly thing is. doesnt leak at all when closed

Old 09-22-2004, 11:29 AM
So basically this thing it like having straigh pipes when it is open?

Old 09-22-2004, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Harley#356

the QTP is a really high quality cutout, i was supriseed how beefy the butterfly thing is. doesnt leak at all when closed

Just curious if there are any pics of the cutout installed on a truck?

Thanks!
Scott

Old 09-22-2004, 02:12 PM
Well, I emailed two companies last night, and already got responses. If anyone is interested, here it is. Quite a different response from both sides. Interesting.

From McCord Consulting Group:

As far as leaking goes, it is impossible on this type of application that varies so much to get a perfect metal to metal seal. That is why you hear of people having leaks on the various brands. If we could machine the parts to a constant given environment, then we could account for the thermal growth of the parts at a given temperature and the flatness of the flange and make it perfect. Unfortunately, given the variety of exhaust applications we are used in, our temperatures can vary from 200 degrees F up to 1200 degrees F.

So, about a year and a half ago or so, we worked with Permatex to use their high temp, copper impregnated RTV sealer to form a gasket on the valve. What we do is to open the valve, lay a bead of the product on the jam, and then close the valve so it forms a tight gasket. This product holds up very well, and every year or so, you can renew it with a tube of it from your local automotive store for about $4. This was the best solution that we have had and we haven't had any complaints about leaking since we started this practice. We also don't have screw holes in the middle of the plate since we weld ours on unlike our competition. One less area to worry about leaking.

Our dual setups are made with a single switch controlling both units. Our LED is setup on duals in an AND configuration, so both plates must reach the same destination before the LED will illuminate. It is next to impossible to guarantee that the plates are perfectly synchonized because they are open loop DC gear motors, and something as simple as overtorquing one plate onto the cutout can slow it down my 10% or so. But, the units will shut themselves down when they hit the positive stops, so you don't have to worry about over driving one side or the other. Basically, they will sync themselves up at the ends.

Most of the latest generation of Lightnings run the 2-1/2" duals unless they modify their exhaust or have a different exhaust system. That seems to be the best size for their results. I had a picture of one guy who basically instead of dumping right after the cutout, he rerouted the pipe beyond the muffler and merged back into the exhaust. That way, his truck stayed clean underneath, and the sound came out the normal exhaust pipe for a sleek, less resonant application.

Keith McCord
McCord Consulting Group, Ltd
www.mccordcg.com
St. Louis, MO
(314) 830-9471

Old 09-22-2004, 02:13 PM
...and from QTEC:

Thomas
You might hear alot but not the right info. They seal up very well. If you
have questions for us please call and they will be answered.
Sales Team
www.QuickTimePerformance.com
201-995-9933

Old 09-22-2004, 07:04 PM
Cutouts are for F-bodies.

Old 09-22-2004, 11:17 PM
I want dual cutouts pretty bad.

But I'll be waiting, Dunno if I wanna stick with stock cats and have a muffler shop custom weld y pipes off.

Old 09-23-2004, 08:21 AM
I wish someone had some REAL #'s!

I had a 95 camaro and most people said that there would be no benifit........... but I ran an average of .2 faster open than closed.

I wish I had some extra cash around to try this on the L.

Plus it was a PITA trying to find someone to put the cutout on in VA.

just my $.02

Old 09-23-2004, 10:06 AM
team sls's 40hp is probably real.

but you got to remember going straight piped out on his 670+ hp beasts will yeidl a lot more gains than us 400hp trucks will :P

Old 11-17-2004, 10:25 AM
Hello, just joined this website....I got my cutouts from this new site. They will sell them at distribution cost. E-mail them and find out.

Has a really cool 4 cutout system.

www.badlanzhpe.com

Quick Reply: Quick Time Electric Cutout