Lightning

New Toy from the 'Mad Scientist'...

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2003, 03:09 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking New Toy from the 'Mad Scientist'...

Take a gander at what's on its way to Arizona on a big brown truck...

For all of the people who have bitched about the cost of the proPIPE, suffice it to say that my proPIPE is going to cost me less than the alternate 'intake setup' I was considering (JL Ram Air with the box and an REM intake tube). Granted, it'll require some work on my part but I work cheap...and even my alternate idea would have required some hand-fitting, dremel-ing, etc. after having spoken to Soap about his. The fact that I'm able to have a proPIPE for less than some other intake options is just icing on the cake. I'll be the first to tell people that I'm not impressed by the 12" filters that all of the tuners sell (having dynoed one on my truck and finding that I lost horsepower both while running stock boost and with an additional 4 lbs. of boost), so the proPIPE will be capped with a nice 7-9" S&B filter followed by a trip to the dyno. Having seen the quality and thought that has gone into the design of Mike's throttle bodies, I can only assume that the proPIPE is not only the best looking intake kit possible for a Lightning but also the best engineered. Oh, and it's also going to provide me the equivalent of a 94mm MAF to boot.

Old 02-07-2003, 03:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How does the computer compensate for the ~94mm MAF?
Special Chip reburn?

Mike

Old 02-07-2003, 03:26 PM
My understanding is that since the stock MAF electronics are used on the proPIPE no 'chipping' is necessary. The MAF should still read the necessary voltage required while passing more air (the computer will see that it's taking additional voltage to heat the MAF wires to the desired temp since it's passing more air and will compensate by adding fuel). Just to be sure I plan on dynoing the truck after this mod and doing the A/F logging as I do with all of my dyno runs (55 to date). In the event the proPIPE leans the truck out I will have the chip reburned to compensate for the additional air.

Old 02-07-2003, 03:40 PM
you get a definite

Old 02-07-2003, 05:30 PM
Nice mod but I'm confused by something you said. Why would a 12" S&B filter(that's what's on my PSP Fast Air) "lose power" vs. a "7-9" S&B filter"? Why would having 3-5" more of filter area cause a power loss?

Dan

Old 02-07-2003, 05:41 PM
Gee, Wonder where its going after it gets to AZ. HMMMMMMM

I should be expecting a call shortly.

VINNIE

Old 02-07-2003, 05:45 PM
Dan,

I'm not fully convinced that the 7-9" won't cause a loss either but I'm certainly not going to go the 12" route. If I am not mistaken, quite a while ago (just after he stopped selling the 9" filters) Sal said that the 9" actually flowed better than the 12" but that everyone was of the mindset that 'bigger is always better' so he started selling the 12" filters just like all of the other tuners at the time. I can guarantee that a 12" cone filter makes less power than the stock airbox up to at least 4 lbs. of additional boost (and the fact that the A/F's were almost a full point higher with the stock airbox leads me to believe that the stock setup was definitely flowing more air than the cone filter - same dyno, same day, same weather and two hours between runs with nothing else changed). I am guessing that it's for three possible reasons...you're pulling in hotter air (which probably doesn't make that big of a difference on a truck on the dyno with the hood open and a large fan on it), the large cone filter upsets the airflow going over the MAF causing erratic readings (on an old 944 Turbo race car the cone filters actually had part of the conical portion painted so no air would flow in that area and the painted portion was always lined up with the Mass Air - which was actually a Mustang part) or the cone filter just doesn't flow as much as the stock air filter or K&N panel filter. Looking at some of the big turbo Supras trolling around town, none of them use giant filters. Most of their filters are 4-6" and this is on cars that's are putting down 700+ rwhp.

Last edited by Struck in AZ; 02-07-2003 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-07-2003, 05:48 PM
Vinnie,

You may end up with a proPIPE after all, if only for a week or two! Got some new dyno schtuff that I'll be sending your way in the next few weeks also.

Dan

Old 02-07-2003, 05:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually what I said way back then, was that my original "filter kit" with the 9" filter performed better than the current 12" filter setups but when JLP and JDM first started up and they were selling 12" filters vs the 9" filter I was using on my filter kits, people got the "bigger is better" bug and nobody wanted to buy my 9" setups anymore. The small filter did not work better than the larger filter, the "kit" that used the smaller filter worked better. The "powerpipe" is basically like my old filter kit, just with the MAF and boot integrated as one unit.

Old 02-07-2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Struck in AZ
Vinnie,

You may end up with a proPIPE after all, if only for a week or two! Got some new dyno schtuff that I'll be sending your way in the next few weeks also.

Dan
Cool,You know I got your back.
Its all set-up already.

Old 02-07-2003, 06:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by LightningTuner
The "powerpipe" is basically like my old filter kit, just with the MAF and boot integrated as one unit.
Hmmmmm Got any of those laying around? And, aren't you
supposed to be burning chips? Not reading forums? LOL ...

I drove in the SNOW for the first time today, Sal ... What a hoot!

Old 02-07-2003, 06:04 PM
Sal,

Understood and certainly wasn't trying to speak for you. However, what differences were there between your 9" kit and those that Jim or Johnny were selling at the time?

I'll be the first to admit that you know infinitely more about these trucks than I do but I do have 15 dyno runs testing the 12" filter versus the stock airbox, stock airbox with a K&N panel and the stock airbox with a K&N panel filter and four 2" holes in the box and every time the 12" filter made less power. So, needless to say, I'm not convinced that the filter kits being made are the hot ticket - no offense as I understand that demand dictates that every tuner either sell a filter kit or watches cash walk out the door to a tuner who does.

What I would like to see is quantifiable proof, in the form of a dyno graph or similar, that shows a filter setup making more power than the stock airbox. Again I hope that you don't take this personally as I'm just looking for an answer as to why I have seen the stock airbox outperform a filter kit on every test I have done. As those who know me will attest, I have no hidden agendas nor could I care less who I buy my parts from as long as they are of the quality that I demand. I would be the first to heartily endorse a filter kit from any vendor that I had seen perform better than the current stock setup...

Last edited by Struck in AZ; 02-07-2003 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-07-2003, 06:16 PM
sorry for my ignorance -

But just what is a pro-pipe - where can I view it are there any perf numbers ...

price and vendor information please ...? Thanks-

Old 02-07-2003, 06:17 PM
Isn't it said that the 12" filter adds a bit more boost (1 lb. or so)? You would think that a filter that adds more boost would flow better and therefore add power? Am I missing something here?

Old 02-07-2003, 06:22 PM
Re: sorry for my ignorance -

Originally posted by sonichog
But just what is a pro-pipe - where can I view it are there any perf numbers ...

price and vendor information please ...? Thanks-
A propipe is a single piece of art that connects the throttle body to the filter. It incorporates the MAF and IAT sensor all into 1 piece. There is no vendor info and it is very $$$ (most likely worth it). There are no recorded perf numbers......yet.

People are just now starting to get them so stay tuned for more info.

--Joe

Quick Reply: New Toy from the 'Mad Scientist'...