Pitman arm squeak

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 10:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pitman arm squeak

I have tried accessing some of the threads that have pictures of the pitman arm. I have the squeak when I turn at parking lot speeds and when turning the wheels when stopped. I would like to grease the pitman arm's sealed boot but do not know what it looks like. Can anyone post a picture or lead me to a picture so I know what to pierce and grease?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Old 10-27-2003, 07:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's a pic of a pitman arm. You will find it on the drivers side. Under the truck the splined hole will be connected to the steering box and the pivot end will be connected to the center link. The end with the rubber boot can be greased the other end that is connected to the steering box cannot. On the passenger side there will be a piece that looks the same as the pitman arm but will be bolted to the frame on a swivel, this is the idler arm and may actually have grease fittings on it.

If you get a grease needle for your gun you might be able to grease the boot on the pitman arm without puncturing it by pushing under the base of the boot and withdrawing it after the grease has been pumped in. In this manner you can retain almost all the grease you put in without it squishing out like when you puncture the boot.

Good luck. I hope this helps you some

Old 10-27-2003, 01:17 PM
Thanks...

Thanks for your help....I did not realize the "boot" would be so small....(it looks about the size of a silver dollar and only 3 or 4 times as thick as a silver dollar)......again, I was thinking it would be big enough to take more than a few pumps of grease....looks like a little bit will do....

Appreciate your help.

Ed

Old 11-06-2003, 04:09 PM
Squeek Fixed

I used a hypodermic needle filled with lithium grease...the fix was immediate. Thanks for saving me $250+ (maybe) at the dealership.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by LE PEW
Here's a pic of a pitman arm. You will find it on the drivers side. Under the truck the splined hole will be connected to the steering box and the pivot end will be connected to the center link. The end with the rubber boot can be greased the other end that is connected to the steering box cannot. On the passenger side there will be a piece that looks the same as the pitman arm but will be bolted to the frame on a swivel, this is the idler arm and may actually have grease fittings on it.

If you get a grease needle for your gun you might be able to grease the boot on the pitman arm without puncturing it by pushing under the base of the boot and withdrawing it after the grease has been pumped in. In this manner you can retain almost all the grease you put in without it squishing out like when you puncture the boot.

Good luck. I hope this helps you some

i had the same problem recently..good thing i found this thread..its very helpful..

Last edited by kurtdaniel; 08-23-2010 at 11:02 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad it helped. It's only been a couple of years and it's time to do the same thing on my own truck again !! Thanks for the reminder.

Quick Reply: Pitman arm squeak