Lightning

The "NO Oil In Intercooler or Plenum" Mod

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 07:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The "NO Oil In Intercooler or Plenum" Mod

Did my own version of a fix for keeping the oil completely out of the intercooler and intake plenum. Thanks for those with ideas on using breathers.

I went to Advance Auto and picked up a couple of breathers, some length of 3/4" heater hose, rubber heater caps, and some clamps.

I removed the hose on the drivers side going from the driver side cam cover to the intake elbow. I capped the hole in the intake elbow, and clamped a length of the 3/4" hose onto the PCV valve on the cam cover.

Next I removed the hose that connected to the passenger rear of the intake plenum. I only removed the part that went from the "T" in the hose to the plenum. I capped the plenum port with another rubber cap. I cut a very short length of the 3/4" hose and installed the breather where the hose came off of the plastic "T".

I plan on getting a breather cap for the oil filler, but the ones I bought didn't fit the hole when I took the cap off.

Here's a pic of both breathers:

Last edited by ShockTherapy; 10-17-2004 at 07:06 PM.
Old 10-17-2004, 07:09 PM
ME LIKEY A LOT

Nice job and it looks sweet, but then again,
so does you entire Engine + Compartment
Please keep us informed
and Thanks for the Info, Great Post

Old 10-17-2004, 07:13 PM
Thanks Rob. It looked better before I took my polished plenum off that I sold to Lightning Larry on svtperformance.com. I am going to be putting my C&L plenum on whenever I get it back, or get a replacement for mine (it's on someone else's truck right now.

Old 10-17-2004, 07:58 PM
If you didn't plug the line at the "T" going to the back of the lower intake galley, you're letting in a little unmetered air. I believe that the hole at the bottom of the intake galley is small, so it may not make any difference.

Nice clean install

Old 10-17-2004, 09:15 PM
I'll ask the stupid question. What is the theory behind this mod rather than using the oil seperators?

Old 10-17-2004, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Almightywad
I'll ask the stupid question. What is the theory behind this mod rather than using the oil seperators?
If you are using the air compressor type oil separator, you will still get some oil into the back of the intake which in turn makes it into the intercooler area.

Old 10-17-2004, 09:46 PM
How do the breathers stop that from happening?

Old 10-17-2004, 09:49 PM
How do the breathers stop that from happening?
I removed the tubes that connected to the intake elbow and the rear of the plenum. Therefore there is no path for the oil to get there.

Old 10-17-2004, 09:52 PM
Gotcha

Old 10-18-2004, 02:16 PM
Not bad "ShockTherapy". Have you ran this set-up, asking if it lit the engine light. If it did not, I will modify mine to that specification, and no more emptying the glass bowl.

Thanks great mod!

Old 10-18-2004, 04:01 PM
Talking about unmetered air, your actually getting ride of metered air with them things.

Old 10-18-2004, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by TampaBlack99
Talking about unmetered air, your actually getting ride of metered air with them things.
Is that good or bad? Please explain what is going on with the metered air.

Old 10-18-2004, 09:07 PM
Is that good or bad? Please explain what is going on with the metered air.
Originally posted by TampaBlack99
TampaBlack99's statement dose not make any sense (getting rid of unmetered air ... )

Almightywad ,
Air passes through the MAF, through your cranckcase and to your cylinders, with ShockTherapy's setup, Air passes through the MAF and dose not pass through the crankcase on the way to the cylinders , so he only gets clean air to feed his engine!!! no risk of oil laden crankcase contaminated air getting to his intake!!.........
The MAF meters air entering the engine.

There is a small hole in the bottom of your rubber intake boot with a tube in it that runs to the drivers side cam cover.....If you pull that tube off and do not plug the hole in the boot then air would enter into the hole after the MAF. hense unmetered air. But, since the hole in the boot is plugged there is no air entering after the MAF... nothing for the computer to see except the air flowing through the MAF.

Also you obviously would have to plug the back of the plenum and the line to the lower intake galley off the passenger side cam cover as these are points where air would enter after the MAF.

regarding the PCV system there are 3 lines that would be plugged to prevent unmetered air from entering....period.
That leaves you with a hole on each cam cover to install a breather......I went with V8 breathers ....ShockTherapy went with 4 cyl breathers ...I would use V8.

Now, people who "just add a breather" to thier PCV system are getting unmetered air in the intake. Air enteres the breather to the crankcase and into the plenum and into the drivers side boot ....which obviously has not passed over the MAF...because it is entering the intake after the MAF.

Last edited by RED 92; 10-18-2004 at 09:53 PM.
Old 10-18-2004, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by MaxPower
If you didn't plug the line at the "T" going to the back of the lower intake galley, you're letting in a little unmetered air. I believe that the hole at the bottom of the intake galley is small, so it may not make any difference.

Nice clean install

alot of unmetered air at idle and part throttle and oil..... that is a huge vacuum source......

plug the line from the TEE where that breather is to the lower intake galley if you havent ....

Old 10-18-2004, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by RED 92
alot of unmetered air at idle and part throttle and oil..... that is a huge vacuum source......

plug the line from the TEE where that breather is to the lower intake galley if you havent ....
Will do! Thanks for the info.

I do have a Wideband Commander so I'll be able to see any affects on my A/F from doing this mod. Too bad the weather has been so crappy. I haven't been able to drive my truck but 5 minutes since I did this.

Quick Reply: The "NO Oil In Intercooler or Plenum" Mod