Lightning

Machine Shop found some EXTREMELY interesting info about our Blocks

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 09:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Machine Shop found some EXTREMELY interesting info about our Blocks

PCHS takes it to a whole new Level of Accuracy and Speed with our unmatched accuracy to blue print any block using our 20 Hp RMC-40 CNC Engine Maching Center!!

I hope Sal pops in and explains it better than I can
BUT

As you know I had EVERYTHING done to my Block

Machine Shop Work

*Bored,
*Balanced,
*Blue Printed,
*Block was Decked
*Crank was RePolished
*Both Heads were Milled
*Spark Plug Inserts were installed
*Aluminum Silicone Bronze Valve Guides
*All other Prep Work needed for reassembly

Well something very interesting they found

-----------------
EDIT deleted my wacky explanation
SEE BELOW FOR SAL'S EXPLANATION, IT MAKES MORE SENSE
hehehehehe..................

-----------------

BTW
My motor is flawless once again
DONE
and will be at laying under the hood by next week
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO THANKS SAL.................

NOW EVERYONE LEAVE SAL ALONE, hehehehehehe..........
(laying under the hood, and driving it are two totally diff things, but we're getting there)

Sal, is it done yet

Last edited by Rob_02Lightning; 01-21-2005 at 10:24 PM.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:32 PM
2 words for ya:

YOU SUCK!!!!!

Old 01-21-2005, 09:39 PM
So what your saying Rob is the block was twisted like the owner!

Peace, Godd Luck Bro!

Old 01-21-2005, 09:42 PM
interesting Rob...
Not dising your explanation, perhaps Sal can elaborqate on their findings.

Old 01-21-2005, 09:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LOL, ok, let me explain....

My machine shop has that new CNC block machine. It's got an optional setup where is has a robot arm inside with a very sensative probe. When you setup a block in the machine, you can have the probe "map" out the dimentions of the block, such as deck height, deck surface, squareness, etc. Once the block is machined, you can reprobe it to make sure it's right and compare to the original specs to see how far it was out.

My engine builder told me that he put a brand new 4.6 block in the machine, and probed it as is. He found the decks to not only be warped, but that the decks were "twisted" torsionally in relation to the block centerline as well. He found this very odd, and thought it might have been a probing error. He put Robs block in, and did the same procedure. He found the same result. Still perplexed, he did a quick light mill on the deck surface and found that the probes were right on. The mill missed a huge section on the front of one deck, and on the rear of the other deck. I think he said it took a 7 thou mill to to deck the block true.

This kind of machine work and attention to detail is why I use who I use for my engine builds. Our PSP engines cost more than anyone else's, but the end result is unmatched.

Old 01-21-2005, 10:06 PM
EDIT

YA WHAT HE SAID

Thanks Sal

Last edited by Rob_02Lightning; 01-21-2005 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:10 PM
No offense to anyone but in my opinion .007 of an inch is very little in comparison, I think that's part of the job of a gasket. That amount is about equal to a sheet of notebook paper.. AGAIN this is just my own opinion as a machinist..

I make aerospace parts which of course have very tight tolerances and .007 is totally unacceptable....I believe there is a little more "fudge" room on a gaskeket surface in the automotive industry as it is a high production piece.

ok flame suit on.... JR

ps: I'm learning the "ROB" way of inserting BOLD words

edit: this is nothing against Sal or his machine shop, just an observation..........:---)

Last edited by SLVRLTNG; 01-21-2005 at 10:18 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 01-21-2005, 10:12 PM
I know I used the right man/company (Sal/PSP)
and I agree 100% that this attention to detail will make the world of diff in a build Motor.

[EDIT]
With the Leaking Head Gasket issue we have, the flatter the surface the better in my book, no matter how slight it's off.

Last edited by Rob_02Lightning; 01-21-2005 at 10:16 PM.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:26 PM
If you read the post on here about building motors and read my post you will see that I was saying the same thing in sort of a way[egg shaped cylinders and make sure to deck plate the motor because of distortion]These blocks are thin and warp easy.What is new is the block is not 45 degrees to ever thing else.

Old 01-21-2005, 10:26 PM
Its nice to know that machinery like that is becoming accessable to the average guy.

The way they normaly do it is just throw it up on the mill and put a level on the deck, so at the very least your cutting parralel to what is already there and its very possible to compound the problem if they are in a hurry.

At least my machinist uses BHJ tooling to square off of the main center line. But he still uses an old style machine.

Sounds like your getting a "real" blueprint job there Rob.

Dale

Old 01-21-2005, 10:32 PM
Stan
On my last motor I thought I did everything to make the cylinder walls not only round but stable. I bought the heavy '03 block, I took it out of the box and had it Cryo'ed. Which is both a heating and cooling process that is supposed to remove all stress from the material. Then came a torque plate hone job. After running the motor for about 300 relatively hard miles and pulling it apart, the bores were all over the place. It took over .003 to bring them back round again, but this time they seem to have stayed put.

This time I'm sleeving the entire block. I bought a set of Darton's in a 3.7" bore. If I get them in correctly they should hold still and not move around, at least thats what they say
Dale

Old 01-21-2005, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by LightningTuner
LOL, ok, let me explain....

My machine shop has that new CNC block machine. It's got an optional setup where is has a robot arm inside with a very sensative probe. When you setup a block in the machine, you can have the probe "map" out the dimentions of the block, such as deck height, deck surface, squareness, etc. Once the block is machined, you can reprobe it to make sure it's right and compare to the original specs to see how far it was out.

My engine builder told me that he put a brand new 4.6 block in the machine, and probed it as is. He found the decks to not only be warped, but that the decks were "twisted" torsionally in relation to the block centerline as well. He found this very odd, and thought it might have been a probing error. He put Robs block in, and did the same procedure. He found the same result. Still perplexed, he did a quick light mill on the deck surface and found that the probes were right on. The mill missed a huge section on the front of one deck, and on the rear of the other deck. I think he said it took a 7 thou mill to to deck the block true.

This kind of machine work and attention to detail is why I use who I use for my engine builds. Our PSP engines cost more than anyone else's, but the end result is unmatched.
Sal, we in the plant use a LK CMM to check or quality every hour on the hour we don't set our blocks to thousands we set them to microns you know 75 microns to one human hair.

I find it hard to believe that our new factory block would be that off! Are you talking about a re-man block?

Keep in mind you are talking about the line I manage on afternoon shift !!!

No disrespect Sal, just telling you about my process! In my dpt. we take pride in what we machine and I discipline for quality defects and reward for sustained quality runs.

Last edited by Suavy; 01-21-2005 at 10:47 PM.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:48 PM
Suavy
Is there a possiblilty you could find out what type of material is in the 5.4 block. It doesnt machine like cast iron, it reminds me of steel almost. Cast iron is inhert and for the most part doesn't move....but this stuff does.
Dale

Old 01-21-2005, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Bad as L
Suavy
Is there a possiblilty you could find out what type of material is in the 5.4 block. It doesnt machine like cast iron, it reminds me of steel almost. Cast iron is inhert and for the most part doesn't move....but this stuff does.
Dale
I will check with our casting people and see what the make up is. I will have to check with HR if I can post the info.
The 4.6L block is casted at Cleveland casting and I'm pretty sure the 5.4L is casted at Windsor Casting Plant.
I machine the 4.6L block.

PM me.

Suavy

Old 01-21-2005, 11:01 PM
Don't discount the machinist who uses the 'old style' stuff.I use a reg cnc machine a soiux valve grinder and a van normam balancer as well a non computer alignmemt machine.It all comes down to the ablity of the operator.Also some of the older machines hold TIGHTER tolerances after they are a few years old.
IF I had a choice between a good machinist old equipment[non cnc] and a machinist who just bought a cnc machine that was new to that type of engine work.I would choose the old one hands down,and do!!Stan
PS I realize that the cnc machines do measurement thru computers in all axis but what about when the mill head bearing start to get loose?that is a measurment they don't see.

Quick Reply: Machine Shop found some EXTREMELY interesting info about our Blocks