Lightning

Octane booster vs. premium

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 04:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the subject of Torco realize that their claim of 8-11 full points if added to 10 gallons of pump gas is ONLY for the leaded version. The Unleaded version has the same claim on the site, but will only give a MAX of 2-3 points which is not going to allow race timing. This comes straight from the chemist who developed the product.

One side thing it did on my truck (the unleaded version) is eat into my right rear wheel, to the point that the polished areas were pitted and would need to be sanded and then re-buffed to get rid of it. I do not use it any more.

Jody

Old 05-24-2005, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by camcojb
On the subject of Torco realize that their claim of 8-11 full points if added to 10 gallons of pump gas is ONLY for the leaded version. The Unleaded version has the same claim on the site, but will only give a MAX of 2-3 points which is not going to allow race timing. This comes straight from the chemist who developed the product.

One side thing it did on my truck (the unleaded version) is eat into my right rear wheel, to the point that the polished areas were pitted and would need to be sanded and then re-buffed to get rid of it. I do not use it any more.

Jody
I'm trying to substantiate those octane points too Jody. When I asked Torco about your numbers and they told me this--->>

10 gallons of 93 adding 1 can of Accelerator to get 104

Thanks
Jack Hemsworth
> Can you tell me how many octane points the UNLEADED ACCELERATOR
> CONCENTRATE (5UNLACC) will raise on 10 gallons of 93? Thanks Jeff

I then sent them another e-mail making sure that what he said was for the unleaded version and they have NOT got back to me... Also if the stuff is that corrosive on your wheels imagine what it's doing to the fuel system components..

Old 05-24-2005, 09:06 PM
Exactly Jeff. I called them because I was pinging badly at 18 psi and 16 degrees of timing. I can run way more timing than that on 100 octane which is what they said I would have. Since the guy at the website was not sure he asked me to call the guy who actually developed the product and gave me his number.

The chemist said the website and the guys on it are WRONG for the unleaded version, but said the leaded version will stand up to their claims. Unleaded is good for 2-3 points max according to the designer of the product, so I'll believe him.

Jody

Old 05-24-2005, 09:12 PM
Jody that is why I brought this post back up because people might think they are getting that big 100+ octane when actually they are not. Since most if not all of us are running unleaded this could save someone some money and maybe even a motor...

Old 05-24-2005, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by JeffsLightning
Jody that is why I brought this post back up because people might think they are getting that big 100+ octane when actually they are not. Since most if not all of us are running unleaded this could save someone some money and maybe even a motor...

Absolutely Jeff, and I appreciate it. If a guy put it in there and had a full exhaust and couldn't hear the detonation he could easily lose the motor.

Jody

Old 05-24-2005, 10:29 PM
Jody; how much boost/timing are you able to get away with on the alky injection?

Old 05-24-2005, 11:00 PM
You can look at this thread in many ways and 2 of them are, trying to raise octane or trying to make more HP. The fuel used for racing should be just enough octane to keep the engine from detonating but any more and its just overkill. It should also be high in BTU value because this is way to measure how much HP you can get from the fuel. Toluene releases more BTU's than Xylene so it will make more HP. Also the lower octane pump gas fuels have better BTU quality blend stocks in them than the high octane pump gas fuels. So if you ask me the 87 unleaded pump gas used to make your race fuel blended with some Toluene will make more HP than 93 octane gas blended up to an equal total octane.

Old 05-24-2005, 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by Casey02L
Jody; how much boost/timing are you able to get away with on the alky injection?

Casey,

I'm currently at 16 degrees and 21 psi with 91 octane and alky. Without the alky it can't even take 12 degrees, never did figure out how low it had to go! I also have not tried more which it may be able to run. Not going to get greedy, runs good and plugs look great.

Jody

Old 05-24-2005, 11:46 PM
I suppose that verified results to prove that Torco Accelerator Unleaded does indeed work may make you a believer? Here is a link to an analytical report on it done back in Oct. of '04 by an independent lab: http://www.jbsblownc5.net/html/torco1.html ). You can clearly see it raised 91 octane to 96.5 octane. The mix used was 32oz of Torco Accelerator Unleaded to 10 gallons of 91 octane. I do not have any data from Torco on their claims with 91 octane, but they do state that with 10 gallons of 93 and 32oz of Torco Accelerator Unleaded that it will raise it to 104 (possibly RON, and not R+M/2 ?). I will do my best to get a few various samples of differing mixes off to the same testing lab in the next week. Irregardless, the stuff does work, and it's very cost effective. More here:

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthr...83#post1518783

FWIW, Torco is a profesionally based company, one that is a major supplier of race fuels to a multitude of race tracks across the country. Here's an article on Torco's Accelerator:

http://competitionplus.com/2004_12_0...celerator.html

Here are the MSDS facts on it:

Ingredients:

"This product is a blend of light petroleum distillate,cas#8000-61.9. Which contains benzene, cas*71-43-2 at 0.1 to 4.9%. May also contain a proprietary multifunctional additive and/or methyl tertiary butyl ether (mtbe) cas*1634-04-0-4. Depending on origin. Contains a proprietary multifunctional additive package. (Ingredients with * in cas number are subject to reporting requirements of section 313 emergency planning & community right-to-know and 40cfr372)."

Last edited by Casey02L; 05-24-2005 at 11:55 PM.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:00 AM
Casey, don't really care what that study said; the guy who developed it said the unleaded version will not make over 3 points period. And it detonated hard at 15 degrees with 18 psi on my truck. How can the unleaded version make the same claim as the leaded version when the lead is why the octane jumps? I started at 32 ounces per 10 gallons and then went to their max of 64 ounces; made no improvement at all. Ran that tank dry and turned the alky back on at straight 91; no detonation at all even with 18 degrees and 18 psi. And the alky is much cheaper to run. I have run 20 degrees and up to 21 psi on 100 octane without any issues, and there's no way I had anywhere near 100 octane with their unleaded race formula.

Jody

Old 05-25-2005, 12:01 AM
Originally Posted by camcojb
Casey,

I'm currently at 16 degrees and 21 psi with 91 octane and alky. Without the alky it can't even take 12 degrees, never did figure out how low it had to go! I also have not tried more which it may be able to run. Not going to get greedy, runs good and plugs look great.

Jody
What %'s on the alky/water and how is the MAF switch setup?

Old 05-25-2005, 12:03 AM
What %'s on the alky/water and how is the MAF switch setup?

I run straight alky. I have the pump starting at about 10 psi and ramping up to full at 14 psi or so. It works off MAF voltage, but I adjusted it off boost.

Jody

Old 05-25-2005, 01:29 AM
Jody I am going to be trying out both once my new motor is in, but on the Torco subject, irregardless of what the guy said, the tests proved that Torco Accelerator Unleaded does add at least 5.5 points on 10 gallons of California 91 octane. How can you logically refute a scientific test that proves such? I'll go by the actual scientific proven test data, not "word of mouth".

My friend Tim (Blwn98 on most of the forums) has ran 23 degrees at 21psi on his '04 KB 2.4 Cobra with 15 gallons of 93 and 1 can of Torco Accelerator Unleaded. You could never run much more than 15 to 17 degrees at that boost level on pump 93. His car never detonated, and it was loaded and pushed HARD on RWTD's Dynojet 224xLC (Eddy Current Load Control), as well as on the street.

Bob Tompkins here on the boards has easily ran 18 degrees at 21psi on his '03 KB Lightning with 1 can of Torco Accelerator Unleaded and 93 octane (I believe he had approx. 15 gallons; maybe he'll chime in), on the same dyno as above, loaded hard, and on the street.

There's been many more tests at the same facility and on the street, too, without any issues. Frankly, I'm not sure what happened in your situation, but it seems to be out of the norm.

Old 05-25-2005, 02:45 AM
Jody I am going to be trying out both once my new motor is in, but on the Torco subject, irregardless of what the guy said, the tests proved that Torco Accelerator Unleaded does add at least 5.5 points on 10 gallons of California 91 octane. How can you logically refute a scientific test that proves such? I'll go by the actual scientific proven test data, not "word of mouth".

My friend Tim (Blwn98 on most of the forums) has ran 23 degrees at 21psi on his '04 KB 2.4 Cobra with 15 gallons of 93 and 1 can of Torco Accelerator Unleaded. You could never run much more than 15 to 17 degrees at that boost level on pump 93. His car never detonated, and it was loaded and pushed HARD on RWTD's Dynojet 224xLC (Eddy Current Load Control), as well as on the street.

Bob Tompkins here on the boards has easily ran 18 degrees at 21psi on his '03 KB Lightning with 1 can of Torco Accelerator Unleaded and 93 octane (I believe he had approx. 15 gallons; maybe he'll chime in), on the same dyno as above, loaded hard, and on the street.

There's been many more tests at the same facility and on the street, too, without any issues. Frankly, I'm not sure what happened in your situation, but it seems to be out of the norm.
You are correct buddy!!!!!!!

Old 05-25-2005, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by silverzz28
You are correct buddy!!!!!!!
Ah; Here is the man that can run a stock block 120k mile Lightning with a KB@18~19#'s and 21 degrees of timing and it's still alive rocking over 500HP and beating on it daily

Maybe it's the Torco, maybe is the fact it's been tuned by James@RWTD since day one. Probably both

Quick Reply: Octane booster vs. premium