2004 - 2008 F-150

Engine Surges @ Low RPM's

Old 03-17-2006, 01:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine Surges @ Low RPM's

This is a major annoyance. It happens most at 2,000 RPM's and at pretty much any speed. Mostly under 50mph and it surges by revving as if I am tapping the pedal. It's sorta like when your idiot friends tap on the pedal to the beat of the music (I f'in hate that). It's been doing it for some time and resetting the PCM does nothing. I am wondering if it has something to do with the throttle body.

Btw I am finally registered ($1700 bux to Arnie) and my license plate will read, "GET STUK".

Old 03-17-2006, 09:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That use to happen with my mustang and it turned out to be the air intake but a programer fixed it. See if you have any open seams in the intake.

Old 03-17-2006, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by Josiah
Btw I am finally registered ($1700 bux to Arnie) and my license plate will read, "GET STUK".
Your just now registering your truck? You've been driving it all this time, and spending a bunch of money on mods, and your just getting around to registering it?

Old 03-17-2006, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by hwm3
Your just now registering your truck? You've been driving it all this time, and spending a bunch of money on mods, and your just getting around to registering it?
Hey, whats it to you. I got a couple fix it tickets and a bunch of nagging or I wouldn't even have done it. Just knowing the original owner paid $256 to register just chaps my .

Old 03-17-2006, 09:56 AM
Hey, whats it to you. I got a couple fix it tickets and a bunch of nagging or I wouldn't even have done it. Just knowing the original owner paid $256 to register just chaps my .
What's it to me? Will your insurance cover you in case of an accident if your vehicle isn't registered?

Old 03-17-2006, 10:26 AM
Mine does that every now and then. It happens so infrequently I haven't felt the need to take the time to investigate. Can't really take it in to the dealer as I can't reproduce it on any given day.

If you find anything, update the thread. I'd be interested to know the cause as well.

Old 03-17-2006, 10:30 AM

What's it to me? Will your insurance cover you in case of an accident if your vehicle isn't registered?
Did you really just ask that.

Wildcat, of course. I'll check the intake out first thing, definitely a possibility.

Old 03-17-2006, 12:58 PM
Josiah - back on thread - mine does this somtimes as well - under very similar conditions as your above description.....only at initial throttle "tip in" when cruising - not initial acceleration from a dead stop or when the RPM's are high - I only feel the "surge" when I'm at about 1/8th throttle and doing at least 40+ mph. As soon as the RPM's increase a bit - the surging fades away. I have the AF1 Intake and Edge programmer set on the 91 octane program.....IIRC - it was surging before the Edge install - but the Edge seems to make it more noticeable.....

Old 03-17-2006, 02:35 PM
When my idle was surging, the service department replaced the throttle body and it was fixed. Might be something to look into...basically the electronics on my TB got out of whack and at certain positions/voltages, the output line would negate, thus causing it to surge then smooth out, then surge, etc.

Old 03-17-2006, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by DevilSun
When my idle was surging, the service department replaced the throttle body and it was fixed. Might be something to look into...basically the electronics on my TB got out of whack and at certain positions/voltages, the output line would negate, thus causing it to surge then smooth out, then surge, etc.

DevilSun - thanks - good information and I'll have to check into that. Just curious though....why did Ford replace the entire TB if it was the electronics....aren't they removable from the TB itself?

Old 03-17-2006, 03:48 PM
Did you really just ask that.
Why not? It doesn't matter to me if they cover your truck, it's the guy that you run into that'll care though.

Do you think your insurance will cover an accident if it's not legal for you to be driving the truck?

Old 03-17-2006, 03:49 PM
You got to have priorities I guess.

Old 03-17-2006, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by CrAz3D
If he has insurance...

ANYWHO, I know my Honda did that when idling...turned out to be the idle control valve, fun stuff.
I would not have been able to register it without proof. Hwm3, I know the view back there is great but quit riding my ***, I have had insurance and I assure you registration has no effect whatsoever on that. You are really getting on my last nerve, would you like me to scrounge up every demeaning statement you've thrown my way to prove this.

Back on topic, I sure hope it's only my intake. How much was it to replace your throttle body (even though the dealer paid if you recall).

Last edited by Josiah; 03-17-2006 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-17-2006, 04:13 PM
Why not? It doesn't matter to me if they cover your truck, it's the guy that you run into that'll care though.

Do you think your insurance will cover an accident if it's not legal for you to be driving the truck?

You usually have 30 days to register a vehicle, and during that 30 days you must have insurance. Are you trying to say that during the 30 days that your vehicle is not registered your insurance company will not cover you during an accident even though you are current on your policy??? Or, will the insurance deny any claims after the 30 day period is up if the vehicle is not registered? I realize that he was way past the 30 days. I'm sure he has a valid drivers license and I'm sure he had to pay penalties for not registering it within 30 days. I don't know about other states, but in Oklahoma, if you get pulled over for an expired tag/not registered they will not tow vehicle if you have current insurance on that vehicle. They will give you a ticket and you would probably want to get it registered/up-to-date before you have to go to court on the ticket.

BTW- I hope you figure out the surging problem

Last edited by TCC-; 03-17-2006 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-17-2006, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by TCC-
You usually have 30 days to register a vehicle, and during that 30 days you must have insurance. Are you trying to say that during the 30 days that your vehicle is not registered your insurance company will not cover you during an accident even though you are current on your policy??? I realize that he was way past the 30 days. I'm sure he has a valid drivers license and I'm sure he had to pay penalties for not registering it within 30 days. I don't know about other states, but in Oklahoma, if you get pulled over for an expired tag/not registered they will not tow vehicle if you have current insurance on that vehicle. They will give you a ticket and you would probably want to get it registered/up-to-date before you have to go to court on the ticket.

BTW- I hope you figure out the surging problem
Exactly my case. I have 2 fixit tickets (long story) for the same thing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine Surges @ Low RPM's