Lightning

Thought I'd seen it all.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 10:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thought I'd seen it all.....

I've been dealing with Lightnings pretty much longer than anyone. And in my time, I've seen my share of pretty messed up stuff, both customer caused and factory caused. But what I encountered yesterday, takes the cake....

I had a local customer with an 04 come to the shop a few weeks back for some dyno tuning. Just a 4lb and an air kit. Put it on the dyno, loaded a tune, made a pull. A/F was in the 16s. Thought that was odd, but ok. Added 25% fuel, made another pull, mid 15s. At that point I told the customer something was wrong with the truck. Put a fuel pressure gauge on it, made a pull, and fuel pressure drops to 25 psi at WOT. It should hold solid at 50-60 psi.

I told the customer that fuel must be bleeding off somewhere, and since it's not leaking outside, it was most likely the hoses or clamps in the tank. The customer goes home and replaces the hoes and clamps in the tank for the pumps. He also changes the fuel filter. He comes back next week, we put it on the dyno.... same thing. I then checked the system to make sure it's switching to the high side of the pump voltage. Jumped out the high side relay and made a pull.. same thing. Now a little more baffled, told him that maybe one of his pumps was bad and he didn't have the volume to maintain pressure at WOT. So he grabbed a high volume pump it from me, and I also told him to replace the plastic Y connector with a metal one to rule that out.

He comes back yesterday with the new pumps and Y in the tank. I asked him if he check the fuel pressure at all, and he said no. So before putting it back on the dyno, I put a gauge on it and took it down the road. Still drops, just only to 35 instead of 25, since the higher volume pumps move more fuel. Now we are really stumped. I'm thinking if he's dropping off pressure, then either he's bleeding off fuel, or maybe his regulator is bad and not raising pressure with boost. I swapped out the regulator real quick with one I had here. Same thing. I asked him if he was sure he put the fuel filter in the right direction, and he said yes. I then jumped the high side relay once more to give that a try. Fuel pressure at idle jumped up so I know it's working, took the truck out again, still drops.

At this point, I am just about baffled. I figure let's put the truck on the lift, and maky sure the fuel lines aren't crushed or kinked anywhere. I really didn't think I'd find anything, but I had nothing left to check.

I start looking at all the lines, and don't see anything wrong. I check the filter, and it's flowing the proper direction. Just for the hell of it, I pulled back the plastic convoluted tubing over the flexible sections of fuel line at the rear of the transmission.... WTF!!! I have never seen anything like this before. I'll let the attached picture tell the story. Needless to say, that was the problem and once I fixed it, now he's got 60 psi of solid fuel pressure.

The truck came from the factory like this. The return line was the same way....

Old 08-25-2006, 10:51 AM
Elf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your help Sal, I don't think anyone else would've picked it up... Oh well, if it wasn't for bad luck..... At least we discovered an isuue and found a solution before catastrophe struck.

Old 08-25-2006, 10:59 AM
It might be someone that was pissed off because of the plant closure in 2004...

Old 08-25-2006, 11:08 AM
isn't that some ****

Wow, That's a kick in the nuts.

How good did you guys feel when youy found it though!!!

I see stuff like this all the time in the Power Equipment industry. Just last week, the rear tractor pan of a riding mower, was bolted down on top of one of the fuel lines, pinching it off. Came from the factory like that.

Spent 4 hours trying to diagnose the issue, untill we pulled the pan to check the tank and saw the marks on the lines.

Good find guys!!! Saved a motor.

Old 08-25-2006, 11:12 AM
Just, wow. Sal is really the man!

Old 08-25-2006, 12:19 PM
u always find the issue!!

Old 08-25-2006, 03:22 PM
Sounds like he went to the right man, I dont know how you did it! Makes you wonder how the heck did that happen? Great trouble shooting job Lightning Tuner you the man? Wish you were in S.Fla I need a tune.

Old 08-25-2006, 03:33 PM
if you have a laptop with wireless internet and a dyno, he can tune you in south FL.

Old 08-25-2006, 03:34 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
F'n nuts. Great find, thanks for sharing

Old 08-25-2006, 03:37 PM
That factory worker was probably having a bad day or had gotten into it with his boss.

I would look around while you're under there to see if you have any other anomolies....

Good find!

Old 08-25-2006, 03:39 PM
holy crap

Old 08-25-2006, 04:39 PM
Nice catch. Lucky it didn't go BOOM!

Old 08-25-2006, 07:37 PM
Dammitboy but that's nasty:o !

beans Sal!

Dan

Old 08-25-2006, 08:37 PM
WOW that is insane. Glad you guys found the problem.

Old 08-25-2006, 11:56 PM
Well at least he was saving fuel!!! LOL :P

Quick Reply: Thought I'd seen it all.....