Painted my headlights!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 09:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Painted my headlights!!!!!!

I painted my lights last night using the oven method to get them apart. I used fusion satin black paint, that stuff works great! Sanded them down with 320 grit sandpaper, and then taped off where i wanted to leave chrome on the light reflectors. Then I used silicone and sealed it all back up! The whole process took me 3 1/2 hrs!! It was well worth it! It looks sick!

I will post pics soon!

-Kurt

Old 02-19-2007, 10:08 AM
Old 02-19-2007, 10:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SWEET!!
I was looking at th eharley lights for mine, yours looks better!!

Do you have a pic of the bracket you use for the lights behind the grill?

Old 02-19-2007, 12:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On another members post that did this he said that he needed to drill to get to some screws. Is this correct? if so were do you drill at? I plan on doing this once it warms up some.

thanks

Old 02-19-2007, 01:11 PM
Is this possible with 03 headlights? If so a how to would be greatly appriciated.

Old 02-19-2007, 01:15 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Looks great, you should have done PTM navy blue tho

and yes i believe you can do these on the older headlights, but it wont turn out the same since the lens isnt clear

Old 02-19-2007, 01:18 PM
may have to go to the junk yard and find a set to play with!!!!

Old 02-19-2007, 05:18 PM
I did not have to drill for any screws... The only screws are two tiny torx scres that hold the clear lens to the reflector section which is the middle piece. I used a pair of pliers to just grip on the head of the screws, and they came out with ease b/c they are so tiny... There is three pieces to the headlight assembly. This only cost me $10 to do both lights! Just bought masking tape, paint, and 320 grit sandpaper. If your wanting to do your won i recommend using satin black paint. Satin is in between gloss and flat, more on the flat side though. This is way cheaper than the harley lights, and i think it looks way better! I lightly painted the orange reflectors on the sides and left them in. They are only used for park lights, not blinkers... They are still visible at night, but when they are off they are black. The harley lights still have the orge in them... If yall have any more questions feel free to ask.

Hey Patman i have seen you before in Waco... I go to TSTC as well, but im going for Aviation Maintenance... And i think i see your truck all the time at the Outpost when i drive to my buddies house...

-Kurt

Old 02-19-2007, 05:27 PM
Here's the pic of my behind grille lights bracket that you requested...

Old 02-19-2007, 06:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I Like those lights behind the grill. Nice job!

Old 02-19-2007, 09:53 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by bluesupercrew05
IHey Patman i have seen you before in Waco... I go to TSTC as well, but im going for Aviation Maintenance... And i think i see your truck all the time at the Outpost when i drive to my buddies house...

-Kurt
I havent seen you before that i recall. I tried to add you on my yahoo messenger if you want to chat. maybe we could have lunch at bushes' on day soon and chat trucks

Old 02-20-2007, 02:38 PM
Global Moderator &

nice to meet you today kurt, keep in touch

Old 02-20-2007, 06:39 PM
bluesupercrew05, i love the look of both the lights behind the grille and the headlights, i would love to do the same thing to my truck, i wanted to buy the harley lights but dont want to spend the money, and i already have a set of spare lights for behind the grille, but was unsure of exactly how i wanted to mount them. Since you have both done, i would love to pick your brain about these, could you give me a more detailed description of the headlights, like exactly what you did and how long it took, and the ease of it all, because i guess i could buy new ones for about 50$ if i screw up but i would love to get the look done first time for the 10 or 15$ you said, just let me know exactly what needs to be done, and purchased. Also exactly how did you mount and wire the front lights, as in what did you use as the mount and where did you bolt it on to the truck, thank you soo much, and let me know, looks awesome!!!!

Old 02-20-2007, 06:53 PM
I put the headlights in the oven @ 250 for 10 mins. This is needed to soften the sealant used to bond the lights together... It may take a little longer, but just make sure you don't leave them too long. I sat and watched mine the whole time, i wouldn't walk away if i were you! I didn't have any trouble with melting or anything. It's gonna be pretty hard to pry them apart, but don't give up its worth it! It may sound crazy, but they wont melt as long as you dont leave them for longer, or use a higher temp... After they sit in the oven for 10 mins (USE A TIMER!), pull them out and use either a flat screwdriver, or something to pry the clear lens from the black backing. One they are pried apart there are two small torx screws that hold the middle reflector section of the light that need to be removed. I just used a regular pair of pliers to grip the outside of the screw, and they came right out. After removing those, pull the reflector assembly out, and then tape off the blinker circle. Now mask the left reflector side of the headlight circle with masking tape. Now you can sand the reflective part that you want to paint. I used 320 grit sandpaper, and it worked well... After you sand it, paint it with your color of choice (I used Krylon Fuzion Satin Black spray paint). To re-assemble, put the back side of the light assemblies back in the oven to get the glue soft, once you do that use your sealant of choice to re-seal them back together. I would recommend using a black silicone sealant to match the factory sealant so that the lights will look untampered with. I lightly sprayed the orange reflectors on my lights, where most ppl that have done this take them completely out. It looks alot better if you paint them lightly, the park lights still shine through enough to see. (these are not blinkers, only park lights)

And about the fog lights I'm going right now to take pics for you, and i will post them and a discription as well very soon!

If you have any more questions just ask!

-Kurt

Last edited by bluesupercrew05; 02-20-2007 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:17 PM
For the foglights i found a wire in the fuse box that only comes on with the ignition so i wouldnt accidently leave them on and drain my battery... it also works great if you want to just leave the switch on, so that the lights will come on every time the truck its running...

For the mounts you need to get some metal to make some brackets... Get either some flat strap, or some angle steel. There are two mounting screws that hold ont he bumper that you will see when the mood is open... Thats where i mounted the two vertical pieces to. You just need to bend the bottoms at an angle, and drill mounting holes. You can wither weld, or bolt the two verticles to the horizontal piece. As for the top horizontal piece, just measure between the two screws, and then add two inches to the length of that. The reason for this is to leave an inch on each side of the verticals at the top to mount the lights to. i also think its the perfect location for the lights to "sit right" behind the grille. Then on the top horizontal piece, drill in the center, and then add a small flat piece that will go up a few inches, and there is a hole you can bolt to. You will have to re-locate your temp. sensor, as this is the hole that the temp. sensor mounts on... I just used a wire tie, and mounted it to the horizontal bracket... Thats pretty much everything to it... And then paint everything black. I also recommend using some black wire loom to hide the wires... Im not sure if you have a center shifter console or not, but i don't. if you dont then i have a location where you can mount your switch. Under the cup holder there is a storage hole that is about 2"x7" or so. i just removed that, and mounted the switch in the back of it to hide the switch. Its a great spot i think for switches, because i dont like to drill on the dash...

If you need anything else just ask! Good luck!!

-Kurt

This is all you need to buy for the headlights! Only like 10 bucks!

Quick Reply: Painted my headlights!!!!!!