WARNING! 2 10's under bench

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2000, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post WARNING! 2 10's under bench

I had a local audio shop install two kicker 10 inch subs firing upwards under the rear bench, and i was very disapointed. First, since the space under the seat is very small, the boxes had to be very small, therefore, the lack of air room caused the subs to hit more like mid ranges, and less deep bass. Second, there appears to be screws protruding from the under side of the bench that punctured the foam rims around the subs and caused them to blow.

to solve this, i have ordered a 2 inch lift from lmi (from the product review section) to allow for larger boxes, as well as more room for the subs to vibrate in. i am upset about losin the head room in the rear seat, but with a two inch lift, us 6 footers will still be able to fit in there.

hope this helps everyone

------------------
1999 Black F150 XLT Sport 4x4
Flareside
4.6 Triton V-8
Manual Transmission
Captains Chairs
Button-down Tonneau Cover
Webasto Sunroof
Spray-on Bed-liner
Xenon Fog and Headlights
Blackwidow Car Alarm
Charcoal Tint

Old 07-31-2000, 10:48 PM
An easy way to solve the screw problem is to use a dremel or other rotary tool to cut off the ends of the screws. I did this to fit my JL under there which has an even thicker surround than the kicker does.

If you had gone with a kicker solo baric it might have sounded better since they are made to work with less box volume.

------------------
1998 F150 XLT, extended cab 3 door,Pacific Green, towing package, 4.6L V8, 3.55 LS,

Performance Mods
SUPERCHIP, K&N FIPK, Dual Exhaust (18" glasspack), Bosh Platinum +4 spark plugs

Apearance Mods
Lund deflector, Profile Windstream side window air deflectors, Prostripe silver multistripe, Diamond Plate Toolbox, Diamond Blue(HID) simulator Fog Lights, High output headlights (80watt low/ 100watt high)

Electronic Mods
Whistler Radar Dectector, Uniden Police Scanner, 29WX-ST Cobra CB Radio, with a Texas Star 100watt modulator and a Wilson 2000 Trucker antenna. A Clarion Security System with Keyless Entry,

Audio Mods
Kenwood KDC-6011 CD player/changer control head unit.
JL 10" sub-woofer
Fultron "Depth Charge" amp 200w max.
4, TR570-CX JL Audio Coaxial Speakers (factory location)

Old 08-02-2000, 05:55 PM
Angry

You have to fire the subs down in a '99 extended cab. There is a huge metal brace under the seat, this interrupts the bass signal drastically. I have 2 JL 10's firing down in a custom fiberglassed enclosure and the bass is amazing. I am running a Fosgate Power 200 to the subs. There is two inches of space between the subs and the floor.
I removed my entire seat including the brackets and actually attached the seat to the enclosure with 6 bolts. The enclosure is attached to the floor with bolts as well. The lift kit available for the seat is akward looking in my opinion. Pictures on the way......

------------------
1999 Blk F150 Sport 2WD 5.4 Drk Graphite Captain's Chairs, fully Loaded.
Flowmaster cat back 3 inch 70 series muffler w/ 5 inch case, K&N GEN II intake, Superchip, 4:10 Gears.
6.5 inch CAMBURG lift w/35/12.5/16.5 BF muds on Weld wheels.
Dual Billet grills, full tint.
AUDIO= Alpine LCD monitor Head unit, Alpine DDrive Separates all around, 2 JL10 W0 subs in fully custom fiberglass enclosure under reaer seat. Powered by Fosgate POWER series amps. SO CAL RIDE...

[This message has been edited by GRIDE (edited 08-02-2000).]

Old 08-02-2000, 08:20 PM
JGG:
i thought about grind the ends off the screws, but i aint totally conviced that is the best way to go abouts things. As well, we measured and the solobaric was to tall to fit under the rear seat, otherwise i would have loved to have those.

Gride:
i told the shop that the best way to go about the box is to fire downwards, and i do agree that the lift kits are ugly, thats why i am very upset about doing it this way. If u could get those pictures up about ur box it would really help. otherwise, what is the volume of the box(es), and is it one the length, or two individual ones?

THanx for ur replys

Old 08-02-2000, 08:33 PM
Wink

Save yourself the trouble and extra money! Get an MTX Thunderform Enclosure with two 8"s. Believe me they hit well! Hey, I'm just 20 years old and if I say it sounds good, it's because its loud and hard. If I was like 40 or 50 and said it sounded well, then you would have to think twice of what I meant by loud. (No offense anyone)

Shop around and you should find the box cheap.

Old 08-02-2000, 09:12 PM
i appreciate the feedback from someone of your age, being only 18 myself.

i have just heard bad things about 8 inch subs. i hear they hit more like a mid-range, than a sub.

did u go with the amplified, or non-amplified?

Old 08-02-2000, 09:48 PM
F150Y2K,

I'm glad you like the Thunderforms. Unfortunately, I just cancelled my order with Digitalwavez. They told me I would have it in 10 days. Now it's been over a month. Summit Racing & Crutchfield doesn't have them either, and told me MTX is out of stock of the blue ones. MTX has no ETA when they'll make more.
So instead I ordered the Bazooka RS104 non-amplified (10 inch). I'll see how that sounds in the truck. I had one before in my Honda and was happy with it. Good news is; Crutchfield has a 30 day return policy. So giving it a try won't hurt.

------------------
1999 F250 LD S/C XLT 4x4
5.4L, 3.73, 4R100 trans.
Flowmaster 40 series, K&N, Poweraid, Superchip, Rancho RSX shocks, Stull billet grille, 2-PIAA Pro80XT's (120W), 2-KC Daylighters (150W)
265/70 R17 BFG AT KO's on 17x8 American Racing Atlas rims
Kenwood 7000 CD, Alpine 3342 Signal Processor, Alpine MRV-F353 5Ch. Amp, Pioneer TS-A6865 3-way speakers, Lightning Audio 1 Farad Capacitor. CompuStar alarm/autostart.

[This message has been edited by Jupiterak (edited 08-02-2000).]

Old 08-02-2000, 10:32 PM
coolsvile - you are right. A majority of 8's out there sound more as a mid bass and work as a mid bass then a sub. But there are some 8's out there that are great subs, like JL audio, the mtx thunderforms, higher end RF's

------------------
black 97' x-cab 4x4, 5 speed 4.6, black westin nerf bars, 6 cd changer and a 12 premier sub, pilot ground searchers, borla SS split rear exhaust, K&N genII, bosch +4 plugs, superchip, flexalite electric fan, v-tech oval side window covers, IAS shocks

still to come: new spark plug wires, new rims and tires.

Old 08-08-2000, 06:13 PM
I will have the pictures soon. The enclosure is a single one that is fiberglassed to flow over the hump in the middle of the floor. I am running two JL W0 10's with about .75 of airspace. The W0's are a long exucrsion woofer, perfect for this application of firing down.
8's sound good, but NOTHING like 10's in a correct install. I know at least 5 people who have traded thier 8's in for 10's. 10's firing down in a correct enclosure with clean power can sound very impressive. A quality shop with experience in fiberglass installs should be able to construct an enclosure for around $600. Well worth it considering most pre-built 8" enclosures run at least 400 bucks. 8's deliver tight, crisp bass, nothing deep at all like a 10 or 12 obviously. I am impressed with the W0 for JL, they are cheap and very strong and like I said, perfect for firing down in a small enclosure.

------------------
1999 Blk F150 Sport 2WD 5.4 Drk Graphite Captain's Chairs, fully Loaded.
Flowmaster cat back 3 inch 70 series muffler w/ 5 inch case, K&N GEN II intake, Superchip, 4:10 Gears.
6.5 inch CAMBURG lift w/35/12.5/16.5 BF muds on Weld wheels.
Dual Billet grills, full tint.
AUDIO= Alpine LCD monitor Head unit, Alpine DDrive Separates all around, 2 JL10 W0 subs in fully custom fiberglass enclosure under reaer seat. Powered by Fosgate POWER series amps. SO CAL RIDE...

Old 08-16-2000, 03:31 AM
Thumbs up

GRIDE and I have the same mindstate about sound in our trucks. Although Im gonna make an attempt at going alittle more extreme, our setups are very close!

I plan on lifting my seat 3" and custom building a downfiring enclosure with -3- JLAudio 10W6's (4ohm load total) driving off of a Fosgate 200ix bridged (around 500-550W). My front stage will be Focal Polykevlar seperates with 6.5" mid/.75" tweet driven off of a Orion Cobalt cs150 (100Wrms x 2).

I haven't gotten to the final dimentions of the box yet...but Im fairly sure i can make it fit while giving the subs enough airspace in a sealed enclosure. I too plan on a 2" gap between the subs and floor. Im also going to incorporate a solid bottom to seal in the space underneath the box to give the subs a solid surface to bounce the sound off of. This will make it vent (and direct) concentrated bass forwards.

When i FINALLY get my headunit back from the repair shop, i can get started. Ill be sure and take lots of pics along the way. Wish me luck!

Jason

------------------
2000 F150 XLT SC 4x2, 5.4L auto, 3.55 LS, Med Toreador solid, Med Graphite int,pwr everything except seat, CD player...*Current Mods=Rancho 4" lift,3" bodylift, BFG AT-ko 35x12.50's,16x10" American Racing Baja's,Rancho RS9000's,lift-lips,4.56 gears,Stull grill,tinted windows,keyless entry/alarm,PIAA superwhites*

*** In the Works - Hellwig swaybar,custom 3" cat-back w/40series Flowmaster.. AUDIO SYSTEM=Rockford-Fosgate and Orion amps/Pioneer DEH-835/(3)JL Audio 10W6's 10" subwoofers/FOCAL PolyKEVLAR 6.5" seperates***

Check it out at http://www.jasonshobbyshowcase.homes...asonsF150.html

im STILL such an ***...

[This message has been edited by DirtSlinger (edited 08-16-2000).]

Old 08-21-2000, 05:59 PM
well tomorrow i am going in with my 2" lift kit, and have them re-build my boxes and test out which subs sound the best. I appreciate all the feed back here, it has really helped. The audio shop still believe, though, that the upward firing sub is the best, so here goes nothin (again). Also i dont think i am willing to dish out the extra money to get fiberglass box built, or to wait the time for it. So hopefully i will be driving home tomorrow with one amazin soundin truck.

Next on the to-do list:
Borla split rear
Okole seat covers (should have been here by now, damn customs/borders)

------------------
1999 Black F150 XLT Sport 4x4
Flareside
4.6 Triton V-8
Manual Transmission
Captains Chairs
Button-down Tonneau Cover
Webasto Sunroof
Spray-on Bed-liner
Xenon Fog and Headlights
Blackwidow Car Alarm
Charcoal Tint

Old 08-21-2000, 08:47 PM
Question

Nice to see someone with a truck like mine. How did that 10" bass tube fit under the seat, or did you just lay it on the floor?

------------------
1999 F-250LD 4X4 XLT Supercab, Short Bed, 5.4L, AT, 3.73LS, 33"Wrangler ATS, Custom Dual Exhaust, Custom Air Intake, Superchip, Factory Step Bars, Tinted Windows, Vent Visors, Diamond Tool Box & Bed Rails, Color: Harvest Gold cc "Ready to Farm"

Old 08-22-2000, 11:51 PM
i have a 94 ext cab
i ordered a 3 inch lift same company, worked great except the rear end of the seat sagged 2 inches
i built the box to support the seat and hold two tens firing down.
here is a link to my web page for a pic of the box before installation
www.tisd.net/~saxyfm17

Old 09-14-2000, 09:38 PM
Red face

I have a stealthbox with 600 watts going to it froma Precision Power A600.2, a quality amp. I am not happy with the sound at all. It is like having 6.5" speakers under the seat. Even crossed over at 50Hz, they are way too loud in the 150Hz area for my taste. I went from 3 JL 10W6's to 2 8's so what can I expect, huh? I am planning on buying a seat lift kit and put some real subs back into my truck. The stealthbox is by far the best thing made for the stock truck, but no where near as good as a box with 10's or 12's in it. I will be selling the stealthbox if anyone is interested please email me at pilot650@hotmail.com. It cost around $600 new and I will sell it for $400 + shipping. Perfect condition, grey carpet, out of a 99 F150 extended cab.

Thanks

Old 10-02-2000, 12:51 AM
well the shop did fix the problem, and i must say, wow, they sound amazing. they are so good that the rear view mirror is beyond useless, plus my back shakes in my captains chairs, its amazing, the sound they pump is amazing, tons of compliments
i have 2 kicker compvr's (10 inch) in seperate boxes, running off a rockford fosgate 360a2, with the seat lift,
it thumps!
thanx for all ur help, and concerns, i am just glad to have an amazing soundin truck

now, on to the exhaust!

Quick Reply: WARNING! 2 10's under bench