SuperCrew

Adding 12V Power Supply in Bed

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003 | 03:51 PM
|
Adding 12V Power Supply in Bed

Thought I would post this question in here as well as the "Electrical" forum.
I would like to add a 12V power supply in the bed of our SCrew. I know people have done this but I did a search and couldn't come up with much.
Just wondering where people mounted the power supply, where they run the wires, what size wire used, what size fuse etc.
I'd like it near the tailgate, just inside. I have a Access Roll Up cover so I'm not too worried about moisture.
Any info is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Eric

I meant to say a 12V DC power outlet, not supply. Something I can plug in a compressor, cooler, etc. Sorry about the confusion.
Thanks

Last edited by eswartz; 07-30-2003 at 05:10 PM.
Old 07-30-2003 | 08:15 PM
I would insure the power supply is in a moisture proof (water proof) enclosure. Even though you have a cover you could still end up having problems with moisture.

Rather then a power supply why not tap off the auxiliary 12vdc power supply that is located inside the cab. In other words go off the fuse for that supply then there is no need for an enclosure, you have fuse protection and only need to run some wiring to the bed.

Old 07-31-2003 | 09:04 AM
Be mindful of voltage drop on that long of a run. I added a similar outlet in my boat. If you are going all the way from the cab to the tailgate, I would recommend using at least 10 gauge wire. Also know what amperage circuit you are "tapping into". I wanted to use a 350 watt (500 peak watt) AC inverter, so I needed a 30 Amp circuit. The only circuit that large (in my boat) was the refrigerator circuit (so that's where I made my connection). Most 12V power outlets are only 15 Amp.

Old 08-02-2003 | 06:47 PM
Here's what I did.

Got the 12VDC outlet from Walmart. Around $12. It is the weatherproof kind. Ran a 12 gauge wiire to the battery and added a fuse/fuse holder. Put the wire in a wire loom to protect it. Ty wrapped along the other harnesses. Used a hole saw to drill the 1 1/8" hole required. Works great - use it when camping to blow up mattresses, plug in QBeam, etc. I have an Advance Cover on my truck.

Good Luck.

Old 08-03-2003 | 01:46 AM
I see my next mod!

Old 08-04-2003 | 02:27 PM
Lightbulb

I ran a 10 ga. (with FUSE) from the firewall battery connection, along the fire wall and tie wrapped with other wires along underneath the frame. I also added a DPDT switch so I could have lights under my Snug Lid. I mounted a bracket where the Snug Lid gas cartidge mounts to the side of the bed. So, it is up and out of the way and I can either have lights or a 12V power oultlet.

Quick Reply: Adding 12V Power Supply in Bed