"Transmission Malfunction" - P0712 code

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 12:17 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"Transmission Malfunction" - P0712 code

Ok............I've been researching this all over here and the www the past few days. Would like any additional input.

2006 F150 Lariat - SCAB 4WD - 5.4L

First, the "Transmission Malfunction" comes up in my odometer/MPG display area. It usually only comes on for a few seconds (2-5) and then goes away. It has happened several times over the past couple of months. It might do it today once...........maybe 2-3 times......who knows. Then I might see it again tomorrow or maybe not for 2 weeks.

I took it to a reputable mechanic to scan the codes (could not get Autozone or O'Reily to do it). The tech found the P0712 code. He also drove it around on the highway with his scanner to monitor temperatures. He found the tranny temperature in the normal range with little variation from when he left the shop to his return.

P0712-Trans fluid temp sensor circuit low input. Voltage drops across TFT sensor exceeds scale set for temperature of 157 degrees C (315F).

This mechanic appeared very knowledgable but does not work on transmissions. He said that if the sensor was external that he could easy diagnose it further and probably resolve the issue. But, since it was internal he suggested my choice of a) a reputable tranny shop or b) Ford dealer.

He also said that there does not appear to be a huge problem.......it appears to be a malfunctioning sensor or wiring or both. Other than that the fluid color looks good, fluid level, etc.

With all of my reading on the www.....the solution ranges between
1) Replacing the sensor and wiring harness

all the way to

2) total tranny rebuild or replacement
(in these 'most' of these cases it appears that the owner was sold a rebuild or replacement by the dealership (sometimes a tranny shop)......but.....I unless they were having some other issue it did not appear neccessary)

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Is their any expertise here are any comments that I could benefit from??

Right now I'm planning to order the sensor/harness and install it myself or have a tranny shop do it. Not to difficult really.

Thanks for any comments/suggestions!!

The following users liked this post:
Old 06-17-2011, 12:52 PM

Also.........been searching everywhere and can't find the parts.

Tasca Auto Parts
etc. etc.

Have a call into Tasca but so far I have not been able to find them online.

Thanks again for any info!!

Old 06-20-2011, 02:37 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation

A few months ago mine did the same thing.I took it to my local Ford dealer.They pulled the same code.They replaced a shift solenoid and the harness.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
A few months ago mine did the same thing.I took it to my local Ford dealer.They pulled the same code.They replaced a shift solenoid and the harness.
This is a new twist..................

Quick Reply: "Transmission Malfunction" - P0712 code