I have a question about piston offset.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 07:25 PM
WLF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a question about piston offset.

I called Mahle today and got some information I needed about how to place the offset on the pistons. The way I understand it, if you drawl an arrow on the top of the piston using a marker, pointing toward the side that the pin is shifted to. That arrow is suppose to point in the opposite direction of the rotation of the engine so that the "narrow side of the piston" is on the trailing edge. I believe our engines turn clockwise (looking from the front) so the arrow should point towards the passengers side of the engine for all pistons.
I need to get this right and when they said the direction the engine turns, I didn't ask if they were looking from the front or from the back (flywheel side).
Anyone know for sure?
If not I will have to call Mahle back.
Thanks.

Old 07-29-2005, 01:46 PM
WLF
Anyone?

Old 07-29-2005, 10:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Notch

I thought the offset pistons had a NOTCH and it was toward the front of the block.

Old 07-30-2005, 11:10 AM
WLF
Thanks for your post.
Yes on the stock piston the notch is toward the front of the engine and in fact, I used that to help answer my own question.
The Mahle pistons I have do not have markings on them. Now they are putting markings on them (printed, not stamped) according to Mahle. I got mine for about $200 less then the current set and the only difference is the markings. Mahle told me how to mark them and how they go in the engine. The original off-set on the factory pistons and the "notch" verify's what they told me.
Thanks again.

Quick Reply: I have a question about piston offset.