CRAZY Wideband Readings

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CRAZY Wideband Readings

I have just recently completed my installation of a LC-1/XD-16 wideband. I was wondering if anyone else has one installed and if they could answer a few questions for me.

If my engine is running open loop, I get a steady reading. At WOT it reads 8.5 or 9. If it is closed loop it switches several times a second. But the switchrate is ERRATIC to say the least. It goes wild, usually from 13 to 16 riding at a steady 60mph or so. But at any other time it may fluctuate between 16 and 19 .... or 8 and 15 or whatever. It seems as if the sweeps are VERY wide. Going into the extremes of Lean and Rich each time. I was wondering if this is normal....

Old 09-17-2007, 02:22 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by chester8420
I have just recently completed my installation of a LC-1/XD-16 wideband. I was wondering if anyone else has one installed and if they could answer a few questions for me.

If my engine is running open loop, I get a steady reading. At WOT it reads 8.5 or 9. If it is closed loop it switches several times a second. But the switchrate is ERRATIC to say the least. It goes wild, usually from 13 to 16 riding at a steady 60mph or so. But at any other time it may fluctuate between 16 and 19 .... or 8 and 15 or whatever. It seems as if the sweeps are VERY wide. Going into the extremes of Lean and Rich each time. I was wondering if this is normal....
Hi Chester - what fuel are you runnin'? Because your stioic point will be different if it ain't gasoline, but that Yak **** you've been known to put in there. lol

WOT O/L @ 8.5 to 9 is FAR too rich, if the gauge is accurate. You need to be in the high 11's low 12's @ high loads.

Closed Loop should be around 14.7-ish with gas.

I suspect a faulty wideband O2, miscalibration, or a ground loop problem.

I'm gonna assume, because, all BS aside between you and me, I know you are no dummy, that you absorbed all the documentation & setup info. They do a real good job on their docs. You used LM programmer to set up the unit? Where did you mount the wideband sensor?. Orientation, etc, etc.

Check on Innovate's site for Tech/application notes on grounding, etc.

Their forum is great, as well; the guy that runs it is very adept.

Your unit is very similar to my LM-1... it's mostly a packaging difference. I get nice smooth AFR's.

Note the you can pecker your O2 from the get-go with one wet start - if condensation hits a hot heated sensor on startup, it's GONE.

That's why mine uses a relay to power OFF the unit while under crank - only time power is applied to the sensor is while the engine is running.

Good luck.

bubba

Last edited by MGDfan; 09-17-2007 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Hi Chester - what fuel are you runnin'? Because your stioic point will be different if it ain't gasoline, but that Yak **** you've been known to put in there. lol
I switched back to gas for now...

WOT O/L @ 8.5 to 9 is FAR too rich, if the gauge is accurate. You need to be in the high 11's low 12's @ high loads.
I was hoping that it was that rich due to the edge's increased WOT fuel delivery. Guess I need to turn it back to stock.

Closed Loop should be around 14.7-ish with gas.
Closed loop is so erratic that it is nearly useless. It switches from 12 to 18 and back VERY rapidly.

I suspect a faulty wideband O2, miscalibration, or a ground loop problem.
It may be a programming issue. I had a NIGHTMARE getting the thing to work. It didn't work at ALL when I first got it installed. I played with settings, I updated firmware etc. I finally figured out that it had a shorted out plug (the "out" stereo cable from the LC-1) and was getting a VERY intermittent signal. I cut it off and wired it straight in. Then it went to working.

I'm gonna assume, because, all BS aside between you and me, I know you are no dummy, that you absorbed all the documention & setup info.

Check on Innovate's site for Tech/application notes on grounding, etc.
I read up on this install for months. It was done to the best of my abilities. EVERY connection is soldered (except the fuse in the fuse holder). I know the science behind ground offsets, and it is grounded GOOD.

It may be programming. I do have it set on instantaneous readout... I'll crap around with it tomorrow.

Old 09-17-2007, 02:51 PM
Steady throttle @ 55mph...

Old 09-17-2007, 02:55 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I switched back to gas for now...

I was hoping that it was that rich due to the edge's increased WOT fuel delivery. Guess I need to turn it back to stock.

Closed loop is so erratic that it is nearly useless. It switches from 12 to 18 and back VERY rapidly.

It may be a programming issue. I had a NIGHTMARE getting the thing to work. It didn't work at ALL when I first got it installed. I played with settings, I updated firmware etc. I finally figured out that it had a shorted out plug (the "out" stereo cable from the LC-1) and was getting a VERY intermittent signal. I cut it off and wired it straight in. Then it went to working.

I read up on this install for months. It was done to the best of my abilities. EVERY connection is soldered (except the fuse in the fuse holder). I know the science behind ground offsets, and it is grounded GOOD.

It may be programming. I do have it set on instantaneous readout... I'll crap around with it tomorrow.
ok - just tryin' to help, is all.

Yeah - try the smoothing functions. Raw O2 output is a rapidly switching can 'o worms.

Luck.

Old 09-17-2007, 03:02 PM
Well, I'm not going to say that it isn't my fault. Cause it probably is.

But the broken plug wasn't!!!

Old 09-17-2007, 07:02 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Whats up Chester , if it turns out your lookin for new O2's - I found a pretty cheap place to get them finally, that can be trusted. $19 a piece. -

Old 09-17-2007, 09:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you sure you did the initial free air calibration correctly?
You could try to recal letting it sit overnight too.
As you have two things at work here, new tuner, and new WB, could you change your tune back to stock to check the WB?

Old 09-17-2007, 11:03 PM
either it wasnt calibrated correctly or ur 02 sensors on the headers are faulty. and not properly controlling a/f as it should or u have an exhaust leak u cant find. that would explain it. it almost seems like it spikes consistantly ya know like its sucking in air consistantly throwing it lean.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:05 PM
what the heck is that a big damn pen around ur neck gangsta??

Old 09-17-2007, 11:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what exactly do you have done to your truck to require a wideband? I'm getting ready to hook mine up, did you have any trouble? I have the lc1 also with the digital blue gauge...

Old 09-18-2007, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by Faster150
what the heck is that a big damn pen around ur neck gangsta??

That isn't me, but that IS my pullpin! I'd be interested to know why you think Steven is me, or how you made that connection. Good job!

Nevermind, I forgot those images were in my photobucket gallery....

Old 09-18-2007, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by built54
what exactly do you have done to your truck to require a wideband? I'm getting ready to hook mine up, did you have any trouble? I have the lc1 also with the digital blue gauge...
It was a PITA. It is poorly designed in some respects. I'm not knocking it, but if you ever decide to change any of the programming, you have to take your dash/guage panel apart to swap wires around. I figured out a way around it though. I also had a problem with one of the stereo wire connectors; it shorted out. Took me hours to figure it out. Also, DO NOT use the bung plug (that plugs the wideband sensor hole) that came with the kit. Mine siezed itself into the hole, and when I unscrewed it, it pulled the threads out of the bung! So I had to crap around with that. I'll do a writeup about the install later. But my camera is a piece of crap.

Old 09-18-2007, 03:57 PM
That isn't me, but that IS my pullpin! I'd be interested to know why you think Steven is me, or how you made that connection. Good job!

Nevermind, I forgot those images were in my photobucket gallery....

my bad lol i just thought it was funny and being there there is no name posted. i dont see how i wouldnt know it wasnt u??

Old 09-18-2007, 04:00 PM
It was a PITA. It is poorly designed in some respects. I'm not knocking it, but if you ever decide to change any of the programming, you have to take your dash/guage panel apart to swap wires around. I figured out a way around it though. I also had a problem with one of the stereo wire connectors; it shorted out. Took me hours to figure it out. Also, DO NOT use the bung plug (that plugs the wideband sensor hole) that came with the kit. Mine siezed itself into the hole, and when I unscrewed it, it pulled the threads out of the bung! So I had to crap around with that. I'll do a writeup about the install later. But my camera is a piece of crap.

damn that sux. i never had that many issues puttin LC-1's in. but sometimes those threads on the bungs do get fugged up if ur not carefull it will cross thread.

Quick Reply: CRAZY Wideband Readings