Piston slap information (summary)

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-1999, 03:46 AM
ml
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Piston slap information (summary)

Everything you always wanted to know about piston slap…

The good news is that we are finally getting hard facts on the piston slap issue and Ford is replacing engines. Some of us have waited almost 2 years for this day and some of us have battles yet to be won. There seems to be new members who are concerned with or who have PS joining this board every day but unfortunately all this good information is scattered throughout the over 25 threads dealing with this issue, posted in the last 30 days alone. In order to better inform existing members and those yet to join, I have compiled and summarized details as reported by F-150 Online members (from these threads), as well as from members of other Ford based BBs, Fords own TSB's, my dealer and from my own personal experience with PS. Please do not hesitate to post updates to this thread or point out inaccuracies that may exist.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all the members who have contributed to this topic. I have learned a great deal from your posts. I would also like to thank F-150 Online for providing us with this forum where we can share our thoughts and our knowledge! Here goes…

What causes piston slap?

Ø According to Ford, the noise is a result of "piston to bore clearance" issues

Will it affect the expected life of my engine?

Ø Ford claims that the problem will not affect the life of the engine. They claim they have thoroughly tested engines with PS ("hundreds of thousands of miles" according to one source) since the issue arose and have had no failures. One F-150 member has over 100,000 miles on his PS engine and it works just fine. No failures from PS have been reported by members and Ford claims they have had none either.

What engines does it affect?

Ø It has been estimated that anywhere between (1 in 500) and (1in 2000) engines will develop this problem

Ø Only 4.6, 5.4 and 6.8L engines built in Windsor, Canada have the problem.
Ø All 5.4 and 6.8L engines are built in Windsor Canada
Ø 4.6L engines built in Romeo Michigan do NOT have PS

How can I tell where my engine is made?

Ø All 5.4 and 6.8L engines are built in Windsor Canada
Ø 4.6L engines are built in Windsor or Romeo
Ø If the 8th position in your VIN is a "6" then your 4.6L engine was built in Windsor, Canada
Ø If the 8th position in your VIN is a "W" then your 4.6L engine was built in Romeo, Michigan
Ø You can also look at the label on the valve cover (driver's side of your engine bay). It will tell you where your engine was made (Windsor or Romeo), as well as the build date.

What is the likelihood of getting piston slap?

Ø It has been estimated that anywhere between (1 in 500) and (1in 2000) 97-99 engines will develop PS Source: member

How long does it take for PS to show up in my engine?

Ø Very often it shows up in the first few months of operation (as early as 3 weeks) , and less than 20,000 miles, however it has shown up/ been diagnosed at late as 28,000 miles

When does it occur, What does it sound like, and How long does it last?

Ø It occurs on engine start up, anytime after the engine has cooled down from its normal operating temperature. It is most pronounced after sitting over night when temperatures generally are the lowest and the engine has had ample time to cool down.
Ø To me it sounds like the engine is not getting any oil. You can describe it as a ticking, tapping or a knocking noise. Some describe it as similar to the sound a diesel engine makes. It all depends on how loud it gets, some engines are much louder than others. In my case and in others, it can sound so loud your neighbors will notice it, while in others the noise is much less noticeable, similar to a mild lifter noise. If you would like to hear a sample, go to: http://www.mindspring.com/~acbradley/index.html and select F150 garage Tech

Ø In most cases the noise lasts less than a minute, very often only 10-15 seconds
Ø It can last longer, as much as 5 minutes, particularly if it's cold outside
Ø It goes away when your engine warms up

How do I know I have it for sure?

Ø Take it to your dealer. He is the only one who can "diagnose" the problem for certain. You have to be a little careful here because not all dealers know of the problem. Since the problem is relatively rare, some dealers have not had a vehicle with this problem or they have, and have simply not recognized it as PS. With the knowledge you have gained here, you should be able to help them get up to date on the problem. If all else fails, go to another dealer and get a second opinion.
Ø It may NOT be piston slap. See "What else could it be if it is not piston slap?" further on down the page

What else could it be if it is not piston slap?

Ø One of the most common causes of engine noise comes f rom the use of a poorly designed or incorrect oil filters. With these engines you must use a filter with an anti-drainback valve, preferably one which is made of silicone for durability and flexibility. If you use a filter without this type of valve, oil can drain out of the filter and on start up you get lifter rattle which is both annoying and potentially damaging to your engine. Always buy an S designated filter. In the opinion of some members, it was felt that Motorcraft 820S filters from Ford (made by Purolator) or Purolator branded filters among others are very good, while Fram filters should probably be avoided.

What fix has Ford developed to eliminate PS knock?

Ø If your vehicle is still under warranty, Ford will replace your engine at no charge;
Ø 99 Model year vehicles will receive a brand new 2000 engine
Ø 97-98 Model year vehicles will receive an FQR (remanufactured) engine

What is an FQR engine?

Remember, only 97-98 owners get FQR engines, 99s get new ones.

Ø Ford has set up a line(s) in Windsor to remanufacture replacement engines for 97-98 vehicles. When the engine arrives at your dealer, it will have a product number on it identifying it as an FQR engine. Surprisingly, mine looked brand new (without the pitting you sometimes see on remanufactured engines). The FQR comes as a long block assembly with heads, cams, valve covers, water pump, plugs etc It did not have certain parts such as an intake manifold, exhaust manifolds, throttle body assembly, power steering pump alternator or injectors, these parts will be reused from your old engine.

Ø It is rumored that because of the considerable number of engines to be remanufactured, Ford is using many brand new engine parts, including new blocks in some cases. How accurate this is, is anybody's guess however my FQR looked absolutely pristine. Ford claims the FQR engines contain the newly reengineered components, so PS should not recur.

Is there any warranty on the replacement engines?

Ø Replacement engines come with a 1 year, 12,000 mile warranty. I do recall one post claiming engines made after Oct 01 will have a 2 year 24, 000 mile warranty. But I can't confirm this by my dealer. Can anyone confirm a 2 year warranty?

Where can I get a copy of the TSBs on piston slap?

To see TSB's 12798 and 12799;

Ø See: http://pages.prodigy.net/castines/TS...on%20Slap).doc

Ø Apparently there are 2 newer TSBs out, #s 13331 and 13332 which I have not yet seen. Does anyone have them?

When did they fix the problem on newly manufactured trucks?

Ø New engines built after April 15, 1999 have been reengineered to eliminate the slap problem. This means that some of the 99s and all of the 2000s should be free of PS. To determine your engine manufacture date, look at the label on the valve cover (driver's side of your engine bay). It will also tell you where the engine was made. (In the case of 4.6L engines either Windsor or Romeo). FYI, your vehicle build date is listed on the drivers side door frame. This date is usually close to your engine build date.

Are owners happy with their replacement engines?

Ø Most owners have been pleased with their replacement engines ( both FQR and new), although some have had minor problems, in one case an oil leak, one or two encountered strange popping noises coming from their exhaust and in one case the engine had to be sent back and another one ordered. The member with the most miles reporting so far is 5,000

If I am over my warranty, will Ford fix it anyway? and what about if I have extended warranty?

Ø Generally speaking those with no warranty left have been refused a FREE replacement engine from Ford. (see; Exceptions ) While this is surely unfair to OOW owners, particularly since it took Ford over 2 years to come up with a fix, it is typical of all auto manufacturers to "slam the door" when your miles are up. Please let me know if anyone has been successful in an out of warranty situation so others can copy their strategy.
Ø I know of a situation which is currently being diagnosed, where the owner has Extended Ford warranty. Her dealer is currently giving her the "run-a-round" on the issue, but in this case it sounds like her dealer needs to get up to speed on the issue first. I will keep you informed. If anyone else has been successful in obtaining a replacement engine under an Extended Warranty plan, please let us know.
Ø Exceptions: I had my engine replaced after my warranty expired because my dealer had the good sense to keep a work order "open" on the problem. When Ford started shipping replacement engines, the FQR for my 97 Expedition was charged to that work order. List member "kkirt1"also reported getting an FQR engine after warranty, at 49K miles. I am uncertain as to how this arose however I seem to remember "arm wrestling with the service manager"…just kidding, I think he went through some type of dispute resolution board. I am sure he would be happy to provide details.

Is there anything that I can do, other than replacing my engine to fix the knock?

Ø Some owners, myself included, have been able to eliminate (or significantly reduce) start up noise by switching to Mobile 1 synthetic oil. Be careful to use a filter made for synthetics with an anti drain back valve (S type). This will not fix the piston slap problem, but what you can't hear…

Old 11-25-1999, 06:16 AM
wjt
Talking

ML-
A well written, all emcompassing post that you have provided to all of us. Sure that it took a lot of effort to compile.... pretty much sums up the Piston Slap issues that have been discussed on this site. Happy Thanksgiving.

------------------
1999 F150 4x4, dark blue, 5.4l auto, Manick brush guard, KC Hilites, tinted windows, K&N air filter without airbox, Gibson side swept exhaust, bedliner, toolbox, Uniden CB with whip, and now, an appointment with Dr Ford for open heart surgery (to replace a Piston Slap'in Engine)...

[This message has been edited by wjt (edited 11-25-1999).]

Old 11-25-1999, 09:32 AM
Talking

ML,

Thank you for spending your time complying this information!!

I have a 99 EB Expy with 1400 miles and it does not have the slap (yet). My 5.4 was built on April 1st (No jokes please). Your work has saved me numerous hours of searching the archives on this piston slap issue.
Members like yourself, make this site great!!

Thank you again.....

Old 11-25-1999, 02:11 PM
Dunbarton,

Only you would ask

Ml,

I will have to check my oil filter. Could be the cause of the knocking.

Old 11-25-1999, 06:46 PM
ml
Cool

Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments!

Old 11-25-1999, 08:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

ml,

It is people like you and the time you took to compile all of this information that makes this such a great site!!! Very nice summary!

Thanks!!

Old 11-25-1999, 09:22 PM
People like ml are what make this message board great! Good job on the summary.

Your right ml, I did get an FQR motor at 49K miles but I think it was only because I had the problem documented with my dealer while still in warranty. It just took them that long to get a fix.

ml: Have you "backed up" this page just in case something happens to it?

------------------
'97 F150 Lariat, Flareside, white/sliver, SC, ORP, 5.4 (FQR 8/99) running Mobil 1
Mods: 305/70/16 GY ATS, AR Baja wheels, dual exhaust, Smittybilt Nerf Bars, Edelbrock IAS Shocks, K&N Filter, Carbon Fiber Bug Gaurd and rigged the fog lights too.

[This message has been edited by kkirt1 (edited 11-25-1999).]

Old 11-25-1999, 10:39 PM
ml
Cool

Thanks again, and yes kkirt1, I developed it all on MSWord and just plugged it in, so I have it saved on my hard drive if for some reason it gets lost.

Some dealers are just "on the ball". They know what to do to make the system work.
Happy Thanksgiving to you all...or is that Y'all?

Old 11-26-1999, 12:33 AM
Very nicely done. Or, should I say, VERY NICELY DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
Ben Mc.----'99 XLT 5.4 SC SB ORP Dk. Red/Dk. Grey----Fact. Cab Steps/Tonneau/Slider----Straight Duals, Superchip, Airaid/KN (non-sag), Ungo Autostart/Keyless Remote, Prime Designs Air/Bug Deflector, Weathertech Wind/Rain Deflecters----PPI 4240 Amp,McIntosh 6x9's w/crossovers front, Polk DB 5.25's rear---Tuessssdayyyy Affffternoooooon----gotta love it!

Old 11-26-1999, 12:49 AM
Dirlton,

Off the subject but I have been meaning to ask you for some time about your signature:

What HAPPENS on Tuesday afternoon? If it's something personal then ignore my question...

------------------
Dunbarton "The Middle Aged Kid" '99 XLT SC SB 4x2 4.6 auto 3.55 ls The occasional Z-71 Eater! Wedgewood & Denim, SuperChipped, Airaid FIPK, Rhino Liner, Mobil 1. Man, I got it all! (New Jersey)

Old 11-26-1999, 10:16 AM
Question

Regarding the importance of the anti-drain back valve in oil filers, how can oil drain from the oil filter when it's installed vertical as it is on my 5.4?

Old 11-26-1999, 06:56 PM
Dunbarton:

It refers to how much I enjoy my stereo set-up. Get yourself a copy of the Moody Blues' "Days of Future Passed" album and zero in on "Forever Afternoon-Tuesday?". You'll get the picture.

------------------
Ben Mc.----'99 XLT 5.4 SC SB ORP Dk. Red/Dk. Grey----Fact. Cab Steps/Tonneau/Slider----Straight Duals, Superchip, Airaid/KN (non-sag), Ungo Autostart/Keyless Remote, Prime Designs Air/Bug Deflector, Weathertech Wind/Rain Deflecters----PPI 4240 Amp,McIntosh 6x9's w/crossovers front, Polk DB 5.25's rear---Tuessssdayyyy Affffternoooooon----gotta love it!

Old 11-26-1999, 07:02 PM
ML - very nice job - looks like a "labor of love" - the monetary gains probably suck - no kidding - it tells all you need to know.

I wonder if something like this could be "archived" it might end a lot of posts about teh same subject.

BTW - if this was done for other heavy post subjects - everything in one article - like oil, filters, airbox mods - you could go to one site & see it all. Big job though.

Congrts ML.

------------------
98 F150 S/C 4.6 2wd Vermillion/Silver,HD Tow Pkg, Boards, Vents, Bug Chaser, DIY "breezer" Tailgate, 5th whl hitch, Tool box, 16" OEM Mag's,
Mobil1 /Wix Oil filter/ K&N / air box mod.
In looks & go - Chevy - like a rock.

Old 11-27-1999, 08:36 PM
HEY ML!!

Great Job, you covered PS from A to Z.

IF you or anyone else knows how to put the TSB's that are on my personal web site on this message board with out re-typing them let me know, or just do it from the hyperlink, I am about to be a father for the first time and my wife would really like to post some baby pics on our web page. It would be strange to see my son's pick next to a TSB. Don't worry, she is not due unitl Jan 8th.

Again good job.

------------------
98 X EB no mods.
Family Mobile

Old 11-27-1999, 09:05 PM
Castines,

Congrats on being an "X pectant father". (Bad humor, I know)

Oh yeah, one other thing, if you have the 3rd seat in your Expy (Family Mobile), then you have some catchin' up to do !!!

Good Luck to you and the wife.

PS: My wife's Expy is getting filled up with Grand kids. Boy am I getting too old !

Quick Reply: Piston slap information (summary)