1997 - 2003 F-150

Show 'Em Off!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 04:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ I like it better, never cared much for those big ole chrome rims, to each his own obviously but, IMO i like this better.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by 03Fx4JD
^ I like it better, never cared much for those big ole chrome rims, to each his own obviously but, IMO i like this better.
I'll be the bad guy here.... I hold to my original statement that even though FX4 wheels are nice........ I M O............... it detracts from the swweeeet look of his rig.

DHGFX4.... For whatever your reason for doing this, understandable (and no need to explain nothin' to NOBODY). Still a REAL NICE RIG! But from my armchair..... I liked the other way SOOOOO much better

Old 07-03-2012, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by 03Fx4JD
I would agree with that 100% it looks much better now in my opinion. Had the other chrome wheels not been so wide and in a normal configuration it would have been sweet but I thought it looked odd with those extras wide wheels. The tires did not even fit the wheel properly.

Last edited by Richard D; 07-03-2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:34 PM
Thanks guys. I think it looks mean on this set up. Plus it rides so much better and less strain on parts.. so i just might be keeping it this way.

This is a quote from another forum incase anyone else is wondering why i got rid of the 20x14s..
Turns out one of the tire and or wheel is "out of round" .. unfortunately i orded that setup from online. No warranty and im sure neither brand (Interco and MHT) will accept responsibility. I had taken them up to the off road shop and had them rebalanced. Turned out they were fine. The owner told me he doesnt even try to sell the dual drilled 14" wide fuels because theres so much heat from dual drilling them it could cause warping.. and well the irok isnt exactly a smooth riding tire either (i realized this prior to purchasing them)

I could spring for a set of new tires (36x15.50x20 Mickey Thompsons) .. but if it turns out the wheel is what is out of round.. then im out the hole for two sets of $2000 tires. Not a risk im willing to take just yet.. but i am going to keep them around.
Ive emailed 4wheelparts to hopefully somehow resolve this issue.. because selling faulty/defective parts is a big problem.

But on a lighter note i do believe the tires did fit properly on the 20x14s. A 14.50 wide tire on a 14" wheel?

Old 07-03-2012, 09:28 PM
Thanks for posting that DHGFX4.. I'll join your support wagon now, LOL (though I still say she looked better the old style). Funny though... how everyone was FOR the nice big chrome rims..... till now. Hmmmmm

Old 07-03-2012, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by DHGFX4
But on a lighter note i do believe the tires did fit properly on the 20x14s. A 14.50 wide tire on a 14" wheel?
If I am not mistaken most 14.50 wide tires only want a wheel that is no more than 12" wide. If you go check Interco's website on their tires most 14.50 tires only require a 10" wide wheel. You wheels were to wide for the tire.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by Red02FX4
Thanks for posting that DHGFX4.. I'll join your support wagon now, LOL (though I still say she looked better the old style). Funny though... how everyone was FOR the nice big chrome rims..... till now. Hmmmmm
Really everyone was for them until now? Do you see anywhere that I ever stated I liked his wheel and tire combo and now am saying otherwise?

No you don't because I never commented on them until now when he went back to the stock wheels.

I chose not to tell him my opinion that i did not like his setup because it is not my money and if that is what he wanted then that is what he should buy because it is his money and his truck.

I only commented that I like the way he has it now, because I think it looks better than it did with the other setup.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:47 PM
Chill Richard. Did I name you personally? relax bud. If you never commented on them..... then Obviously you are NOT included.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:56 PM
I am totally relaxed. I do not like when people make those generalized statements like you made as it tends to be directed to all who are saying something. If your going to call someone out then do it by name do not generalize is all I am saying. And you posted it soon after my post about liking his current setup better so I took it as being directed towards me.

No harm, just wanted to clear the air.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:03 PM
Richard D what size tires do you have?

Old 07-03-2012, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by Richard D
I am totally relaxed. I do not like when people make those generalized statements like you made as it tends to be directed to all who are saying something. If your going to call someone out then do it by name do not generalize is all I am saying. And you posted it soon after my post about liking his current setup better so I took it as being directed towards me.

No harm, just wanted to clear the air.
My apologies, Sir.... I did not see that it was your turn to type.The status bar that says... "Richard is typing" must be down for the holiday.

Don't be a lltoolj,beechkid,fx4nutjob..... my post was and will always be "in general". 'nuff said!!

Old 07-03-2012, 10:38 PM
Technical Article Contributor

+1 for never caring for those extra wide wheels. I, too, never said anything because I hate saying negative things but I will say that I like the FX4's. I think some 20" rims would look good, just a little more narrow than what you had on there. I think that's the biggest tire I've ever seen on a stock tire lol. Gives it a little less of a polished look than what you had, but overall I think I like this setup better. Not that you need my or anyone else's e-approval

Old 07-03-2012, 10:44 PM
Originally Posted by 1clean42
+1 for never caring for those extra wide wheels. I, too, never said anything because I hate saying negative things but I will say that I like the FX4's. I think some 20" rims would look good, just a little more narrow than what you had on there. I think that's the biggest tire I've ever seen on a stock wheel lol. Gives it a little less of a polished look than what you had, but overall I think I like this setup better. Not that you need my or anyone else's e-approval
Fixed it for ya?!.... I guess.

And you are correct on "not needing e-approval" !! That statement applies to each and every one of us

Old 07-03-2012, 11:25 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
DHG, why not throw the welds back on there?

or did you sell them?

Old 07-03-2012, 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by Richard D
If I am not mistaken most 14.50 wide tires only want a wheel that is no more than 12" wide. If you go check Interco's website on their tires most 14.50 tires only require a 10" wide wheel. You wheels were to wide for the tire.
This may be true but i feel like it was safely and not stretched, nor buldging out. The big/wide wheel trend is now apparently stretching a 12.50 wide tire on a 14" wheel. That in my opinion is not fitting properly. But to each their own.

A 14" wheel and 12.50 tire..

Thanks for the compliments on the FX4s. I do not know of anyone else running this big of a tire on stock wheels either. Wish i could run the Welds again but im too lazy to polish them every week.. plus one of them has ruined lug holes. Not sure how it happened.. but im quite sure these wheels are lug-centric and im pretty sure this is where my vibrations were coming from..

Quick Reply: Show 'Em Off!