Old 02-13-2011, 10:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
b
t
th
tp

Old 02-19-2011, 08:28 AM
I was able to salvage a third spare tire hoist, but this time it is from a 2001 Ford F250. It is the one that has the lug end attachment. I have all the pieces and the factory info and plastic bag that came with the lug end. I am leary of putting it on even though the lug end fits the end of my handle better than the handle I got from the F250. I might hold out for the later model hoist with no lug. Still deciding.

TonyM.

Old 02-19-2011, 04:04 PM
Spare won't lower and the spare is still on the lift for it.

I just got new tires at Discount Tire. They discovered I had a cracked rim, so they were going to put my spare on until a repacement rim arrives on Tuesday. They let me use a loaner rim and tire, because the spare would not lower.

Any way to replace this with the existing spare tire in the way.

My truck is a 4 wheel drive 2003 F150 Supercab XLT.

I am also missing the bar to unwind the spare. They used one from an employees own F-150.

I bought the truck from someone on Craigslist 2 years ago. I didn't check under the hood for the thing to get the spare down.

I read somewhere on here about a key being required. Is that true for 2003?
That could explain why they could not get it down.

Thanks for any help.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:01 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My 03 XLT had a key, same thing bought it used. Had to go to the dealer and they lowered it for me. At that point you have 2 choices, either take off the tube that the crank goes through and pop the lock, or buy a key from the dealer. I removed the lock.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:35 AM
Originally Posted by jgger
My 03 XLT had a key, same thing bought it used. Had to go to the dealer and they lowered it for me. At that point you have 2 choices, either take off the tube that the crank goes through and pop the lock, or buy a key from the dealer. I removed the lock.
Thanks. That makes sense on why Discount Tire couldn't lower it. I don't want a lock on my spare, so I will probably do what you did.

Just saw some pictures on another site, where the bed is removed.

It said you can remove the plastic tube and the lock with the tire in place.
Originally Posted by ReAX on a different site
i removed mine with the spare in place. remove the plastic tube(twist and pull), and remove the lock with a pair of pliers.

Last edited by JVH3; 02-21-2011 at 03:06 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:13 PM
I tried this tonight.

I had brought my wrench set with me to work, so I could use the heated parking garage when I was done.

I tried the 9/16 in hex. That did not work. At least not well. I might have gotten it to turn 1 full revolution. Maybe 2.

Decided to try taking the tube off to get the key piece out.

I got the plastic tube off by taking my license plate off. Then using a crowbar through that opening.

I did not have a plyers with me. I tried knocking the key piece out with a hammer. That did not work.

My wrist / forearm is scratched up pretty bad from this. It is a very tight angle trying to reach around the tire to get at this.

I also tried using extenders, a ratched, and a kit for stripped nuts. This did not work.
The sizes were for 9/16ths to something bigger. This was too loose.
The next smallest was for 1/2 inch to 9/16. This did not fit on it.

Wish I would have grabbed my toolbox with my plyers and vice grips.
Tired of working on this now.

I'm planning to take it to Ford to have them lower it.

I think taking the tube off before getting the tire down might have been a mistake, since now it is harder to line up on it.

Before I take it to Ford. Anyone have any ideas for me to try or tricks to not hack my arm up while doing this?

Old 02-23-2011, 11:31 PM
If you have the tube off now, then use a large flat screw driver to pop the lock.

You still might have to smack it. Just get the screw driver/pry bar between the lock and the shaft on the winch. I think it separates about 1/2 to 3/4 inch from the end of the lock.

When I did mine the tire was down, made it pretty easy.

I feel your pain!

Maybe if you can get a socket that will just fit over the lock (like a 5/8 of larger) you could put an extension on it and pry side ways. Kinda like pulling a nail with a pry bar.

Good luck

Last edited by jgger; 02-23-2011 at 11:37 PM. Reason: thought of something else
Old 02-24-2011, 11:00 AM
If you have the tube off now, then use a large flat screw driver to pop the lock.

You still might have to smack it. Just get the screw driver/pry bar between the lock and the shaft on the winch. I think it separates about 1/2 to 3/4 inch from the end of the lock.

When I did mine the tire was down, made it pretty easy.

I feel your pain!

Maybe if you can get a socket that will just fit over the lock (like a 5/8 of larger) you could put an extension on it and pry side ways. Kinda like pulling a nail with a pry bar.

Good luck
With the tire in the way, it is a real pain to get at. Wrist and forearm arm are still pretty raw. I think I am going to cut the plate with a sawsall and replace the lift.

I can get a used replacement lift mechanism for $40 with a warranty.

Last edited by JVH3; 02-24-2011 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:15 AM
Sorry to resurrect this thread. I have this problem; no McGard key, tire up on an '03 Screw.

How does the plastic tube come off? I tried twisting it and pulling. Does it pull straight off? Does anyone have a quality picture of how the plastic tube is attached?

Old 08-26-2012, 08:03 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by serranot
Sorry to resurrect this thread. I have this problem; no McGard key, tire up on an '03 Screw.

How does the plastic tube come off? I tried twisting it and pulling. Does it pull straight off? Does anyone have a quality picture of how the plastic tube is attached?
there are 2 taps that snap into slots...kinda like a electrical connection.

If you can get 1 tap depressed then the twisting should help free up the second

Old 08-26-2012, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by enriched
there are 2 taps that snap into slots...kinda like a electrical connection.

If you can get 1 tap depressed then the twisting should help free up the second
Ugh. That sounds near impossible to remove with the tire still up.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:49 PM
Finished. Used a long extension and six-point 9/16 socket. Pounded it on. Tire came right down. Thanks to all.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:58 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Damn! - Well, -I just about read the entire thread, -not realizing it was ancient, until someone posted "Merry Christmas" . Currap..

Old 08-27-2012, 02:57 AM
Originally Posted by jbrew
Damn! - Well, -I just about read the entire thread, -not realizing it was ancient, until someone posted "Merry Christmas" . Currap..
jbrew, you got a problem with it being christmas in August? C'mon man get in the spirit!

Old 08-27-2012, 05:01 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
jbrew, you got a problem with it being christmas in August? C'mon man get in the spirit!
Alright alright, give me a few hours. - I may attempt humming that chestnuts roasting on fire song, while measuring the tread depth in the snow tires out back (behind the garage tarped). That autuh do it..

Quick Reply: Spare Tire lift mechanism and cable