1997 - 2003 F-150

Lifted 97-03's - Any Body Style

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 09:12 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Like I said, you don't need extensions with the right length harness and O'riely's/Murrays has them. I'm running them, NO extensions.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jbrew
Like I said, you don't need extensions with the right length harness and O'riely's/Murrays has them. I'm running them, NO extensions.
sweet next time ill check them out thanks for the info. im running lean right now b/c i had a exhaust leak i know of i dont know if thats what caused the lean code but it was my guess so tomorrow my header hi flow cat and tru dual install will be finished and hopefully the new o2s plus the lack of a exhaust leak will get rid of the cel. ill be posting videos hopefully saturday or sunday its been really nice out here today and is supposed to stay in the 70s and above all weak so i wont mind doing the videos. thanks for all the help

Old 03-18-2011, 01:46 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
FWIW: Obviously I've been into the 8.8 I had numerous times. New bearings, Limited and locker carriers, multiple gear sets, multiple bearings, multiple fresh starts with oil... 2 different wheel sets and tire sets. Still hopped irritatingly at 45mph... Even with a motor and trans swap... I did ALL that ****, and the damn thing hopped at 45 until I got fed up with blowing 8.8 pinions and splitting the carrier as the final straw.

Installed a 10.5, smooth. Just my experience, I end my discussion.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Klitch
FWIW: Obviously I've been into the 8.8 I had numerous times. New bearings, Limited and locker carriers, multiple gear sets, multiple bearings, multiple fresh starts with oil... 2 different wheel sets and tire sets. Still hopped irritatingly at 45mph... Even with a motor and trans swap... I did ALL that ****, and the damn thing hopped at 45 until I got fed up with blowing 8.8 pinions and splitting the carrier as the final straw.

Installed a 10.5, smooth. Just my experience, I end my discussion.
Your just to lazy to tightened you seat bolts

Old 03-18-2011, 04:08 AM
I had an issue with a hop and whining in my rear end around 45mph or so in the past as well. Come to find out it was caused by the pinion bearing housing. I am pretty sure that is what its called. Either way, its basically a little funnel shaped "O" that the bearing rest inside of. My "bearing housing" developed a chip in it somehow , but that caused all my problems. Once they replaced those little housings along with the bearing on that side, I have been problem free for a long while. Idk if maybe thats something you guys might be having an issue with.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:49 AM

Yea, the LS 9.75's do the same thing, just higher speeds, @ 55 mph. Changing out the juice with GOOD stuff (Amsoil) and Modifier (if required, some rear gear EP oils have modifier in the mix) does wonders.

Amsoil your entire drivetrain (trans as well) and you may even get a little better mileage

Old 03-20-2011, 12:12 AM
heres my latest:

Name:  0319111845.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  107.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1367.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  57.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1365.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  42.5 KB

just the front

Name:  IMG_1344.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  94.4 KB

new front end

Name:  IMG_1335.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  84.5 KB

everything gone

Name:  IMG_1328.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  104.3 KB

old on the right new on the left.

Name:  IMG_1318.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  59.9 KB

Old 03-20-2011, 12:24 AM
Thats definitely awesome! I told you that matte black on the Lightning wheels would be awesome. The front end looks mean! BUT I would add a skid plate or something to hit some of that crossmember and everything up front. Also, you dont have enough lights on that thing.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:39 AM
^ya im going to add a roof rack with either some HID lights or a LED light bar....

and yes the matte blk works amazing!!! i will be adding a skid plate..i now have a friend who has 3k acres and a massive barn with everything id need to fab one up. this next weekend when i go there to go muddin with a couple friends ill talk to him bout it and get his .02. I also wanna fab up something that kinda goes in front of my lights cuz if i hit something theyre the first to go...so maybe do an extended skid plate that goes 2in in front of the light bar...hmmmm

Old 03-20-2011, 01:29 AM
Originally Posted by 01f1502wd
^ya im going to add a roof rack with either some HID lights or a LED light bar....

and yes the matte blk works amazing!!! i will be adding a skid plate..i now have a friend who has 3k acres and a massive barn with everything id need to fab one up. this next weekend when i go there to go muddin with a couple friends ill talk to him bout it and get his .02. I also wanna fab up something that kinda goes in front of my lights cuz if i hit something theyre the first to go...so maybe do an extended skid plate that goes 2in in front of the light bar...hmmmm
NICE! Here is my .02, not that you ask

Run a skidplate from right in between the tow hooks down to about the spot where the stock crossmember meets the fabtech one and weld on two pipes that extend from the crossmember to the skidplate. Then just get another piece to cover the space between the tow hooks and the horizontal bar where your lights mount. Understand what I mean?

Tack some wire mesh over the fog lights if you are worried about those. Maybe a little thicker than chicken wire type?

Old 03-21-2011, 10:06 AM
No? Most of you will, well maybe ? It's mainly a Ford LS Rear Gear prob. Also after awhile their EP (extreme pressure) additives go flat or loose viscosity.

So -

#1.) The Friction modifier begins to go south/break down, - sooner, once you get over 100,000 miles.

#2.) The EP additives break down as well and won't stick.

The Hop is your clue that she needs some maintenance. You may think that over-sized tires might easier on your rear end fluid. Unfortunately, that's not so, not with a LS rear end. The oil and modifier gets spent that much quicker.
So your saying if my rear end starts bouncing, all I have to do is change my fluid and it will go away...

Old 03-21-2011, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by TheTinian
So your saying if my rear end starts bouncing, all I have to do is change my fluid and it will go away...
Sure, than can hop so bad @ 45-55 mph, you may think your trans is going fall out lol.

Change the rear fluid and it may go totally away within 75 miles.

Don't roll your eye's at me pinhead, you obviously don't know Fords.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by b2therad
NICE! Here is my .02, not that you ask

Run a skidplate from right in between the tow hooks down to about the spot where the stock crossmember meets the fabtech one and weld on two pipes that extend from the crossmember to the skidplate. Then just get another piece to cover the space between the tow hooks and the horizontal bar where your lights mount. Understand what I mean?

Tack some wire mesh over the fog lights if you are worried about those. Maybe a little thicker than chicken wire type?
Ill see if i can photoshop something tonight.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:42 AM
Sure, than can hop so bad @ 45-55 mph, you may think your trans is going fall out lol.

Change the rear fluid and it may go totally away within 75 miles.

Don't roll your eye's at me pinhead, you obviously don't know Fords.
Im sorry, but telling someone after they put on a lift and new tires and now has wheel hop that changing your diff fluid is going to magically fix it is the dumbest thing ive heard in a long time. I have to thank you though, you made me laugh on a bad day.
I can see a driveline vibration, but not a wheel hop. Ive had trucks that have had diff fluid over 100k, so burnt and milky from water..but it never caused anykind of wheelhop.

Originally Posted by rcxford617
anyone with a rcx lift experience alot of bouncing. i can look in my rear view mirror and see my back end bouncing while doing aboout 45-55 mph... i havnt had the lift on a year yet either

So your saying if he changes his fluid it will go away??

Old 03-21-2011, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by TheTinian
Im sorry, but telling someone after they put on a lift and new tires and now has wheel hop that changing your diff fluid is going to magically fix it is the dumbest thing ive heard in a long time. I have to thank you though, you made me laugh on a bad day.
I can see a driveline vibration, but not a wheel hop. Ive had trucks that have had diff fluid over 100k, so burnt and milky from water..but it never caused anykind of wheelhop.
So your saying if he changes his fluid it will go away??
Oh yea, it's not just "could", but it has, many many times in the past. Likeauh magic,to one who doesn't understand (not mentioning names). The dumb part;- sorry, looks like I can't help you there. So much for your day ehh, - batten 1000 lol..

Last edited by jbrew; 03-28-2011 at 04:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Lifted 97-03's - Any Body Style