1997 - 2003 F-150

Vibration at 65mph

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 02:07 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
The gaskets that Autozone sells are Fel-Pro, as good as any.
Yep, Felpro is all I buy.

BTW glc - The Permatex black and the Fords RTV is some real good stuff. The Ford stuff might be better, -just guessing. It doesn't have to totally cure before it goes into service like it use to be.

I might take just an extension and socket, hand tighten the bolts and go have a sandwich or a beer before torqing, but that's about it. It's really good stuff.

Running that stuff on both sides of the gasket . Guilty lol.

Old 03-07-2010, 02:54 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the Ford RTV may be the same thing as the Permatex Black. I do know whatever is in the Motorcraft tube is made by Permatex.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I'm pissed!!! Weather sucked again today so decided to take the truck to have the fluid changed... Sunday... Dealer closed. So i went to a goodyear shop in the area that is supposed to have a decent reputation... didn't really care for the guy i was dealing with from first glance...seemed like I knew more than him (thanks to you guys). So he tells me its gonna be $150 and I told him I just want to change out the fluid... not the whole damn differential... so at that point I think he realized he couldn't bs me that much. He came down to 105.. which is still probably a bit high, but its sunday he's the only game in town. So I told him I wasn't really comfortable doing this service anywhere but the dealer, but If he could get motorcraft oil and modifier and I could physically watch him squeeze it into the diff... then I was up for it. YEAH no problem... he's got a supplier that can get any brand of anything there in 15 minutes... So 15 minutes later a car pulls up and walks into the service area with a black jug and a little white bottle... neither of which look like the motorcraft bottles I've seen on the web. So I ask, hey you mind if I take a look at that oil? He says... "oh wait... let me see if I can find it" And I'm thinking... How could it get lost... the delivery guy just set it down 8 seconds ago. So he brings it out with the "damn i got caught" look on his face. It some no name generic... I'm not letting him put that crap in the truck. So i tell him... that's not the deal we had... and he tells me... Oh... well you know motorcraft is just a brand name, it doesn't mean anything. Yeah, just like lamborghini is a brand name... What an a- hole... so needless to say, I got my keys back and these guys won't be touching my truck again... I mean.. he could have got penzoil or valvoline... something. I should have known something was up when at first when I told him 150 was too much, then he started telling me that this gear oil is 20 buck a pint... not quart... PINT... I really feel bad for people that are at the mercy of these kind of crooks... If you want to sell crap oil, at least let the customer know that's what they are getting... So I guess the truck is out of service this week and either me or the ford dealer will be doing it next weekend.
This whole situation makes me grateful for you guys.
Oh, by the way... the mechanic... not the a-hole manager... said exactly what you guys said about the diff fluid... Thanks again everybody.

Last edited by zamunda; 03-07-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:45 PM

Geezzz, lol. Well good thing you were there and just didn't take his word for it.

You busted him tho lol, wonder what their mechanic thinhks of that guy.

Last edited by jbrew; 03-07-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:50 PM
Yeah its a sad damn world we live in sometimes. You shouldn't have to watch people like a hawk... whatever happened to a man's word. I'm a working man too, I'm a carpenter. I never short anybody on the work I give them... Sure I could cut some corners and maybe no one would even notice... but how do some of these guys sleep at night. And the worst part is this is just on a cheap service...can't imagine what the shifty crap they would pull on something serious like a tranny.
Like I said I really appreciate all the advice you guys have given other wise I could have been the sucker today...

Old 03-07-2010, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by zamunda
Yeah its a sad damn world we live in sometimes. You shouldn't have to watch people like a hawk... whatever happened to a man's word. I'm a working man too, I'm a carpenter. I never short anybody on the work I give them... Sure I could cut some corners and maybe no one would even notice... but how do some of these guys sleep at night. And the worst part is this is just on a cheap service...can't imagine what the shifty crap they would pull on something serious like a tranny.
Like I said I really appreciate all the advice you guys have given other wise I could have been the sucker today...
No problem,-

I'm curious as to how many Service Rep vs Mechanic disagreements there are out there ? Man I can see those guys hooken it lol.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:11 PM
Yeah... I bet... You gotta wonder where some of these service reps come from... from the one's I've dealt with only about 25% of them even seem like they've ever held a wrench. Not much different than my work... I've got like 5 layers of management above me and not a damn one of them has ever built anything... yet they wanna tell me how to do my job... i can't count the times I've had some guy in a shirt and tie ask me why did i do this or that... and I just turn around and hold out my hammer and ask if they'd rather do it themselves.... they never do, GO FIGURE!!!

Old 03-07-2010, 05:15 PM

Yeah... I bet... You gotta wonder where some of these service reps come from... from the one's I've dealt with only about 25% of them even seem like they've ever held a wrench. Not much different than my work... I've got like 5 layers of management above me and not a damn one of them has ever built anything... yet they wanna tell me how to do my job... i can't count the times I've had some guy in a shirt and tie ask me why did i do this or that... and I just turn around and hold out my hammer and ask if they'd rather do it themselves.... they never do, GO FIGURE!!!
Like some engineers, you end up re-engineering in the field, after they say, ~"just make it work" lol

Old 03-07-2010, 05:15 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Last year, Ford quoted me $125 for a diff service using BG fluid and $145 using Motorcraft. I had it done at an independent with BG, dunno what it cost because it was part of a full package with an oil and tranny fluid change too. He used BG modifier, and it works fine.

By the way, I do believe Walmart has Supertech in full synthetic 75W140 - I'd use it. That unbranded crap that Goodyear tried to dump on you was prolly straight 80W90 dino.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:23 PM
Really you wouldn't shy away from The supertech at wal-mart? I had always heard that when you buy some brands like that (coastal at autozone, oreilly's store brand) you can end up with recycled oil (not really sure why that is bad... doesn't sound good though). I just called autozone and they have valvoline 75w140 for 6 bucks a quart. And kragen has mobil 1 for 17 a quart.
As for the modifier... neither person I talked to had any clue what I was talking about. I think jbrew said transx is good. I don't know anything about BG. Any idea where it can be bought.

Last edited by zamunda; 03-07-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:29 PM

Vavoline and Mobile 1 are both good IMO. Mobile 1 GL and TransX Modifier is what I used the last time I did mine. No problems.

Last edited by jbrew; 03-07-2010 at 05:31 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:32 PM
Hey Jbrew... do you think the mobil 1 is worth the extra money? Its triple the cost... or do you think you're mostly just paying for they're fancy stickers on nascars

Old 03-07-2010, 05:43 PM

Hey Jbrew... do you think the mobil 1 is worth the extra money? Its triple the cost... or do you think you're mostly just paying for they're fancy stickers on nascars
Nope, I wouldn't pay that much, -never have. I have seen Mobil 1 @ $12 before. I'd go with what glc mentioned or Valavoline. Motocraft if I could get it. I haven't heard of any bad about any of the rear gear lubes. You just need the right stuff.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:56 PM
Good enough... I'll probably go with the valvoline and the transx...
this is the right stuff right?
http://www.amazon.com/CRC-402508-Trans-X-Limited-Additive/dp/B000M8Q1D0/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1268002221&sr= 1-5
Called kragen they can't even order the gasket for th 9.75... so will either deal with autozone (but they are pretty brain dead there) or just go with straight rtv...
So with the transx...you said only four ounces right? it comes in 7 ounce tube... so I'll just guess a bit over half...

Old 03-07-2010, 06:22 PM

http://www.amazon.com/CRC-402508-Tra...1268002221&sr= 1-5

Right 4 oz's. I dump the rest in my tranny lol.

I put a little extra in rear as well. Not much, that's up to you. I just say that so you won't be concerned if you get a little more of the modifier in there.

Last edited by jbrew; 03-07-2010 at 06:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Vibration at 65mph