1997 - 2003 F-150

'99 Two-tone interior colors

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 11:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1997 lariat 4.6
its irritating looking at a giant black part on the dash where the previous owner had something taped to the darker brown part and took a 1.5 in, by 1.5 in piece of the darker brown off...
I know the feeling, the previous owner glued the antennas for the nav and xm radio unit to the dash on the passenger side and then the parrot bluetooth controls were glued (which ran) to the dash under the hu/hvac controls. Also why I haven't peeled all the fake wood grain stick on crap off everything.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:07 PM
On a 1998 F150 with a trim paint code X which is for the Medium Prairie Tan (Lighter color) there is no code listed for the darker color. The darker color name is Dark Prairie Tan. It's listed in the 1998 Ford paint colors book color code 28458. Just had the auto paint store mix me up a 1/2 pint today and the match was perfect. Cost for 1/2 pint paint was $35.00 Might add that if you want to reduce it start with a 50% mix with base coat reducer to keep the sheen as low as possiable and increase to a 1 to 1 mix for a little more sheen.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:59 PM
I challenge everyone to find a colour match for Vermont Green interior. :-P

Old 10-05-2012, 10:25 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by nraluke
On a 1998 F150 with a trim paint code X which is for the Medium Prairie Tan (Lighter color) there is no code listed for the darker color. The darker color name is Dark Prairie Tan. It's listed in the 1998 Ford paint colors book color code 28458. Just had the auto paint store mix me up a 1/2 pint today and the match was perfect. Cost for 1/2 pint paint was $35.00 Might add that if you want to reduce it start with a 50% mix with base coat reducer to keep the sheen as low as possiable and increase to a 1 to 1 mix for a little more sheen.
Just saw this ... Thanks for the info

Old 07-01-2014, 09:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Dark Brown color in the two-tone dashes 1997-1999 is DARK Prairie Tan. The "light" color in the dash is "medium prairie tan". The Dark Prairie Tan color code on replacement plastic parts seems to really be made from Ford Color#3400, "Dark Brown". So, if you can find either Dark Prairie Tan, or Ford Dark Brown Color#3400, I think you will get a match. DO NOT TRY Medium Dark Parchment, that is NOT the same color (it is close, but it is lighter than the Dark Brown (and darker than the Medium Parchment light tan color).

In late 1999/2000, the color chart was changed to the similar colors. The light color become MEDIUM PARCHMENT. Medium parchment is SLIGHTLY lighter than Medium Prairie tan.

You can order a new panel from Ford, (and pay a fortune).
http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/Ca...edition#Search

The part is the instrument panel "cover", 44A82, Dark Prairie Tan. In the same section the panel side-surround is available, as is the radio bezel cover. As shown on the FordParts.com site, the interior code for this is -X? (For most people, this is the 1X code, as was the original poster. I have the same interior on my Amazon Green 1999 Expy, with interior code 1X, which is medium prairie tan on door panels, pillars, main dash top, the passenger side air bag cover "oval" etc. And the Instrument panel dash area is all DARK Prairie Tan, instrument cover top, surround, and radio and A/C bezel cover.

There is also a Medium Dark Parchment color that was used on Expy's starting in 2000. From what I've seen in the junk yards, mostly on Eddie Baurers. (My 1999 is a an XLT). The Medium Dark Parchment color IS NOT (I REPEAT IS NOT) the same as the dark brown dash color. (It is about half way in between the lighter Medium Prairie Tan, and the Brown color=DARK Prairie Tan.) So, if you can find anything else, you can repaint ALL of your brown parts to Medium Dark Parchment, and it will look OK, it takes the brown down to a lighter color.

Finding DARK Prairie Tan as a color mix seems to be a challenge. So far, I have not actually found it.

Paintscratch.com appears to sell "DARK Prairie Tan" (Interior) for 1997 Lincoln under model interior code AY5. (I DO NOT KNOW if that color is the "same" as the DARK Prairie Tan color found on the Ford Expy's, the makers sometimes reuse paint color names. It costs $30 bucks a spray can, in California.

I have also found at this website: http://www.leatherrenew.com/Color_chart/Ford.jpg that the color called Dark Prairie Tan" appears to look at like the Paint color Ford "Dark Brown" Color#3400. I recommend that you print out the chart and look at the paper, the printers get much closer to registering the standard color codes, monitors are pretty useless for trying to compare colors.

Last edited by MesaGuy; 07-01-2014 at 10:39 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:13 PM
Thread is a little old but good info. Thanks

Old 07-07-2014, 09:36 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by MesaGuy
The Dark Brown color in the two-tone dashes 1997-1999 is DARK Prairie Tan. The "light" color in the dash is "medium prairie tan". The Dark Prairie Tan color code on replacement plastic parts seems to really be made from Ford Color#3400, "Dark Brown". So, if you can find either Dark Prairie Tan, or Ford Dark Brown Color#3400, I think you will get a match. DO NOT TRY Medium Dark Parchment, that is NOT the same color (it is close, but it is lighter than the Dark Brown (and darker than the Medium Parchment light tan color).

In late 1999/2000, the color chart was changed to the similar colors. The light color become MEDIUM PARCHMENT. Medium parchment is SLIGHTLY lighter than Medium Prairie tan.

You can order a new panel from Ford, (and pay a fortune).
http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/Ca...edition#Search

The part is the instrument panel "cover", 44A82, Dark Prairie Tan. In the same section the panel side-surround is available, as is the radio bezel cover. As shown on the FordParts.com site, the interior code for this is -X? (For most people, this is the 1X code, as was the original poster. I have the same interior on my Amazon Green 1999 Expy, with interior code 1X, which is medium prairie tan on door panels, pillars, main dash top, the passenger side air bag cover "oval" etc. And the Instrument panel dash area is all DARK Prairie Tan, instrument cover top, surround, and radio and A/C bezel cover.

There is also a Medium Dark Parchment color that was used on Expy's starting in 2000. From what I've seen in the junk yards, mostly on Eddie Baurers. (My 1999 is a an XLT). The Medium Dark Parchment color IS NOT (I REPEAT IS NOT) the same as the dark brown dash color. (It is about half way in between the lighter Medium Prairie Tan, and the Brown color=DARK Prairie Tan.) So, if you can find anything else, you can repaint ALL of your brown parts to Medium Dark Parchment, and it will look OK, it takes the brown down to a lighter color.

Finding DARK Prairie Tan as a color mix seems to be a challenge. So far, I have not actually found it.

Paintscratch.com appears to sell "DARK Prairie Tan" (Interior) for 1997 Lincoln under model interior code AY5. (I DO NOT KNOW if that color is the "same" as the DARK Prairie Tan color found on the Ford Expy's, the makers sometimes reuse paint color names. It costs $30 bucks a spray can, in California.

I have also found at this website: http://www.leatherrenew.com/Color_chart/Ford.jpg that the color called Dark Prairie Tan" appears to look at like the Paint color Ford "Dark Brown" Color#3400. I recommend that you print out the chart and look at the paper, the printers get much closer to registering the standard color codes, monitors are pretty useless for trying to compare colors.
Good info ... Thanks

Old 07-08-2014, 04:28 PM
I didn't like the tanand brown enyway. So I am painting the dark black and the light dark gray.I have a red truck 99

Old 09-23-2022, 12:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know this is an old post but hope this will help others. I found the match for the Dark tan as I had the same as the OP. This color match perfect.

SEM 15723 Monterey Color

The following users liked this post:

Quick Reply: '99 Two-tone interior colors