1997 - 2003 F-150

What trucks say 4x4 on the side of them.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 01:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fordf150farmer
UHHHH sorry, hate to burst your buble, but not true.
I wouldn't say it's not true. Your instance is just a very rare case..... But who knows, they did some weird stuff in the 97' year truck. I remember a co-worker of mine had a 97' lariat 4x2 with the 5.4. The truck just said "F-150" on both front quarter panels. No triton v8 badge or anything. I always thought that was odd, but he said he bought it new off of a dealer lot like that. Heck, even my 97' XL had an XL badge under the F150 badge.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:10 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisT
I wouldn't say it's not true. Your instance is just a very rare case..... But who knows, they did some weird stuff in the 97' year truck. I remember a co-worker of mine had a 97' lariat 4x2 with the 5.4. The truck just said "F-150" on both front quarter panels. No triton v8 badge or anything. I always thought that was odd, but he said he bought it new off of a dealer lot like that. Heck, even my 97' XL had an XL badge under the F150 badge.
weird

Old 12-01-2010, 01:25 PM
like i said though, maybe somebody orderd it without, and then never picked it up, but it did come from the factory without a sticker either way. And yes, some of the 97's were odd. i think they were still trying to figure everything out. so who knows why it came with out a sticker.

Im gonna have to ask my girlfriends dad if his 98 came with 4x4 stickers, because he has had it since new, and it doesn't have them. could it be some regular 4x4's didnt have the stickers? like the real plain 4x4 that had 16 inch wheels and no skid plates? thats how my dad's was and also how my girlfriend's dad's is.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:42 PM
some of the 97's were odd. i think they were still trying to figure everything out. so who knows why it came with out a sticker.
could it be some regular 4x4's didnt have the stickers? like the real plain 4x4 that had 16 inch wheels and no skid plates? thats how my dad's was and also how my girlfriend's dad's is.
I was just thinking about a few other trucks from years ago... another co-worker had a 97' F-150 XL (I used to work construction, we all had F-150's ). It was a reg. cab flareside. It was a 4x4 with the manual trans case\manual transmission and the 4.2 V6. I don't recall it having any 4x4 stickers either, as I remember being surprised it was 4x4 until I saw the shifter. But mostly I remember that ugly red interior that truck had. Until seeing a few on this site, I've never seen that red interior before.

Then there was another guy I worked with who had a 97' F150 XLT scab with the 4.6 Triton. I recall his having the triton badges and the 4x4 Off-Road sticker. I remember that truck distinctly because I almost bought it from him. The main reason I didn't was because his had the scab with the one rear door that opened, the drivers side would not open. I then traded in my 97' bought my current 02' F150 a year or so later.

I wish I had taken pics from our job sites with all the F-150's we'd have parked there, it was a nice sight to see.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:32 PM
UHHHH sorry, hate to burst your buble, but not true. i know for a fact that when dad had his 97 new from the dealer it never had 4x4 stickers on it. but it did have the big ol ugly floor shifter for the t case. now, thats not to say someone didnt order it without stickers, and then never got the truck, but i do know that my dad was the original owner and it never had them when he drove off the lot.

now, every other f150 we have owned has had the stickers, mine (4x4 off road), dads o2 (fx4), and dad also had an 01 screw (4x4 off road) and a 1999 extended cab (4x4 off road) all of the trucks were xlt's
My truck is a 99 f150 xlt 5.4 4x4 its leather and power everything but not lariot and i have the floor shifter for the 4x4. I prefer it i actually bought my truck over another one just for that reason and a few others but that was one.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by fairlaner
No stickers, but I gotta have my flags ...
way to put the flag on stars forward

you prior-service?

Old 12-02-2010, 07:23 AM
I have a 97 4x4 off road. My badges just say f-150 xlt. I have no triton v8 underneath. I don't know if mine had the stickers or not cause mine was repainted before me and they did a real s****y job of it. I am gonna repaint and line-x the rockers and flares. Haven't decided on the stickers yet though. I do like how clean it is without. Might have some custom ones made up though.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:16 AM
i believe the Triton badges were on the 5.4's, although i could be wrong

Old 12-02-2010, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by str8t six
i may be wrong, but i had a 97 and it was 4x4 and it didnt have 4x4 stickers.

Mines the same way. I have a 97 and I bought a few years back from original owner which owned a ford dealership and had my truck sitting at his ranch in a barn. I bought it with 52,000 miles on it. And its didnt have a 4x4 sticker on it. Its deffeneltly had the original paint job but who knows maybe he took the sticker off too. highly doubt it though.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by str8t six
yes, yours is a NBS, and the packages were different than the 97-03 f150's.
I have a 4x4 02 screw and it does NOT have the skid plates-but it DOES have the 4x4 decal.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:59 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Bansheeman6100
way to put the flag on stars forward

you prior-service?
No prior service, but I love this country and have the highest respect and admiration for those who selflessly serve her ... (it also doesn't look right to have the flag stripes forward on the pass side )

Old 12-02-2010, 08:57 PM
No prior service, but I love this country and have the highest respect and admiration for those who selflessly serve her ... (it also doesn't look right to have the flag stripes forward on the pass side )
well i haven't run across very many civies that knew knew that, so good job . its nice to see people still pay attention and respect the flag and the country it represents

Old 12-03-2010, 09:13 AM

The physical beauty of her land, the creative and giving nature of her people, and her role in world history always hold me in awe ...

On a very sad side note, when I take my work truck into our shop for service (I work for the state of California) I have to remove my flag magnet from the tailgate because we're " ... not allowed to make political statements ..." on our trucks

BTW, Thank YOU for your service

(sorry for the hijack ... sometimes I get carried away :o)

Old 12-03-2010, 09:25 AM
On a very sad side note, when I take my work truck into our shop for service (I work for the state of California) I have to remove my flag magnet from the tailgate because we're " ... not allowed to make political statements ..." on our trucks
That seems completely absurd to me! I can see not being allowed to put on bumper stickers for specific political candidates and all, but the AMERICAN FLAG??? That is just wrong, that company should be ashamed, it is an American company working in America, right?

I'm not trying to harp on you specifically, Fairlaner, just your company .

Old 12-03-2010, 09:50 AM

My "Company" is California state government ... need I say more

My arguement of "... can't I show support for the people who pay my wages (taxpayers) ... " got me nowhere. Bottom line is the truck is owned by the state agency I work for ... they get to make the rules.

Quick Reply: What trucks say 4x4 on the side of them.