1997 - 2003 F-150

I built my own front mount hitch to mount my new winch (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 03:00 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by PirateSignal
The seats in the bed are truly classic!
I was actually just transporting them. They aren't installed - though my kids want me to!

Old 09-15-2011, 03:50 PM

One of the advantages of hosting your own pics. You can do stuff like this to one post trolls:

Old 09-15-2011, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by jgger
I'm not going to comment on the mount, but the way your cable is covered in the pic.

Congratulations for having the sense to put a blanket on the cable, alot of people don't do that. Now the only problem is you need to hang it over the cable on the end with the hook or close to it(a few feet back). The purpose of the blanket is to slow down the cable in case it breaks. If it breaks close at the drum it will fly away from the winch, but if it comes off at the hook end you will find yourself/truck on the business end of a bull whip. That is how people get hurt/killed. So please when you winch hang your weight about 5-10 ft from the hook.

Happy Winching-good job!
OK, thanks. I had hooked into a thick chain around the base of a big tree so I was confident it would be fine. My logic was that if it snapped anywhere in front of the blanket, I wouldn't care how fast it was going or where it went, but I wanted to slow the cable if it was headed towards the direction of me or the truck. I'm confused though, if I had the blanket close to the hook with 75 feet of line out and it snapped at say... 50 feet away from the winch, then the blanket wouldn't do any good and I have 50ft of steel cable with a lot of kinetic energy headed at me and the truck, right? Is there some physics principle I missing here? Maybe the cable unwinds on the drum a little to stall the energy?

Old 09-15-2011, 10:18 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If your cable breaks at 50 ft then you should not be using that cable. The weak link is at either end. If it comes off the drum then it will go away from you/the truck. Plus you should always leave at least 4 to 6 wraps on the drum, never spool out all the way to the end of the cable. Now on the other hand if it breaks at the hook or comes unhooked under load, then you have alot of energy comming at you. What the blanket does is make the cable drop to the ground. By hitting/draging on the ground it will loose all that energy. If you don't have a weight on the cable then it can and will go where ever it wants, through the windshield or radiator. If you are in the path of travel it could literally take off an arm or a leg, even slice you in two. Kinda like shooting a bow and arrow and releasing the bow instead of the arrow!

If you want put a blanket at the mid point and the hook end (a little overkill) that would be OSHA safe!

Glad you didn't take my comment the wrong way.
Happy winching!

Old 09-16-2011, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by jgger
If your cable breaks at 50 ft then you should not be using that cable. The weak link is at either end.
That is the piece I was not thinking about. Thanks!

Old 09-16-2011, 09:22 AM

I added some round stock (formerly a side impact door beam from the turbo SC300 - LOL) and a gusset. Everybody happy now?

Old 09-16-2011, 10:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ishootstuff
I added some round stock (formerly a side impact door beam from the turbo SC300 - LOL) and a gusset. Everybody happy now?

Good to see....that will help a lot.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:46 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think it looks pretty stout. Good job!
I have a buddy who has a 74 F150 he bought when we were kids still has it 30 something year later.. He built a winch bracket for that truck super gnarly. 1/4' Steel Tube and plate. I've seen the guy mow down some incredible stuff. Fences trees a few cars. One time he forgot to set the brake in that truck at the boat dock and it rolled into the lake up to its roof. incredible the abuse its taken. 4 engines and over 400 thousand very HARD miles and he still uses it to take feed to his horses..
heres a picture of it

Last edited by jethat; 09-16-2011 at 01:02 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 09-16-2011, 12:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
One of the advantages of hosting your own pics. You can do stuff like this to one post trolls:

that is hilarious! great trolling, OP! dont let the haters get to ya. They wish they had a Ford

Old 09-16-2011, 12:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks great to me.

There are always people who will tell you they can built it better in half the time. If it's built, tested and your happy with it that is what counts.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:26 PM
That looks a bit better I wasn't saying anything about your work being crappy but I have seen peoples winches get ripped off their trucks before. Better off being safe than sorry and when it comes to a winch I mean you don't wanna chance too much there is a lot of tension on that cable when you start to spool it in...

Old 09-16-2011, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by noregrets
That looks a bit better I wasn't saying anything about your work being crappy but I have seen peoples winches get ripped off their trucks before. Better off being safe than sorry and when it comes to a winch I mean you don't wanna chance too much there is a lot of tension on that cable when you start to spool it in...
Exactly. Peace of mind too.

Although, a sadistic part of me would love to see that thing rip through the front bumper!

Old 09-17-2011, 11:06 PM
can we get a picture of the truck without the winch and just the 2" reciever hole hanging out the front of the truck? id like to see where it comes out may do this to my truck tomorrow haha

Old 09-18-2011, 01:46 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Good lord I'm glad you at least gusseted it up... Still, Not sure what the thicknesses of material are but sure dont look like much.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:05 AM

i got a question for ya. why do you take 8 bolts out to take the bumper off and not the 4 21 mm mounting bolts??

Quick Reply: I built my own front mount hitch to mount my new winch (PICS)