1997 - 2003 F-150

I built my own front mount hitch to mount my new winch (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 09:28 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by thejake1989
i got a question for ya. why do you take 8 bolts out to take the bumper off and not the 4 21 mm mounting bolts??
I don't know. I guess I didn't see the other ones. It's an easy job anyway since I can hit them all with an air ratchet.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ishootstuff
I don't know. I guess I didn't see the other ones. It's an easy job anyway since I can hit them all with an air ratchet.

could i get pics of it without the winch so i can see wher it comes through and such thanks!

Old 09-20-2011, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by stugraham
could i get pics of it without the winch so i can see wher it comes through and such thanks!
I'll try to motivate myself to pull it off...

Old 09-22-2011, 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by ishootstuff
I'll try to motivate myself to pull it off...
haha that would be great man

Old 09-24-2011, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by stugraham
haha that would be great man
Here ya go

Old 09-24-2011, 04:15 PM
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
I looked at the photos in your first post and without looking at the rest of the replies see your choice of materials is not the best for the application.
You should have used the tubing meant for tow hitch applications.
The materials you have is soft steel and has holes yet, that weakin it's strength.
Normally a tow hitch receiver is rated for up to 10,000 lbs and the ball mount at 6000 lbs and the weight on the frame at about 600 lbs.
This points to the fact that there is some engineering and strength of materials involved with such applications that should not be taken to lightly.
Your lucky your application will be for a horizontal pulling application and not so much for weight but even then you might pull the stucture out of shape and do damage to other parts.
Good luck.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:29 PM
Thats a really nice setup man! Hey everybody is getting after you for not doing it right for different reasons but look at it like this--at least if its weaker than your frame, then it will bend your fabrication and not your frame! plus in my book haha

Old 09-24-2011, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Bluegrass
I looked at the photos in your first post and without looking at the rest of the replies see your choice of materials is not the best for the application.
You should have used the tubing meant for tow hitch applications.
The materials you have is soft steel and has holes yet, that weakin it's strength.
Normally a tow hitch receiver is rated for up to 10,000 lbs and the ball mount at 6000 lbs and the weight on the frame at about 600 lbs.
This points to the fact that there is some engineering and strength of materials involved with such applications that should not be taken to lightly.
Your lucky your application will be for a horizontal pulling application and not so much for weight but even then you might pull the stucture out of shape and do damage to other parts.
Good luck.

Well... I pulled a tree out of the ground a couple days ago about a foot in diameter. Also, yes, these materials are not the same the hitch manufacturers use. The difference is in the engineering. Most hitches are held on with 4 bolts. This has 24" of weld holding it to the frame. Also, every hitch I have seen uses a single crossbeam. This double offset parallel beam more than makes up for the weaker materials. In addition it's gusseted and cross braced.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by BigRed97150
Thats a really nice setup man! Hey everybody is getting after you for not doing it right for different reasons but look at it like this--at least if its weaker than your frame, then it will bend your fabrication and not your frame! plus in my book haha

Thanx!

Old 09-25-2011, 12:52 PM
ive got thick wall steel tubing and im going to do 2 recievers coming out each of the holes so i dont need to cut, then ill mount the winch in both

Old 01-25-2012, 06:30 PM
Suspended
Bumping this to find out how badly the **** hit the fan

Old 01-25-2012, 06:31 PM

Old 01-25-2012, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by 06yz250f
Bumping this to find out how badly the **** hit the fan
Not a bend or crack and it gets plenty of use.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:55 AM

Still working great.

We decided to do a little exploring on a road nobody has traveled for a long time - and a river bed. I had to use the winch a couple of times. The pictures make this stuff look so easy, but we were STUCK! I would have been fine with a shorter wheelbase, but the long wheel base and running boards was a perfect recipe for high centering. My home made front winch mount and Harbor Freight winch pulled us right off the rocks without a complaint.

I didn't realize it until a couple days ago, but the passenger side running board is bent up a couple inches, so there was a lot of the trucks weight on it.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:38 PM
The first time I saw this post I was thinking it may not hold up but then I saw who was posting. You're an engineer and from what I can tell, darn good at solving problems. I'm sure your setup will hold up just fine.

Quick Reply: I built my own front mount hitch to mount my new winch (PICS)