1997 - 2003 F-150

I built my own front mount hitch to mount my new winch (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 08:54 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by papa tiger
http://www.i-car.com/html_pages/tech...es/2004/091304.

To date many hydroformed parts on truck frame assemblies have been made from mild steel, but applications of high-strength hydroformed parts are becoming more common to provide a stronger, more rigid vehicle. The 2004 Ford F-150 and the 2004 Dodge Durango are two vehicles that are constructed with frame parts made with high-strength hydroformed steel. Also, some vehicle makers are incorporating the use of external welded-on reinforcement plates on portions of the frame to strengthen the frame assembly. The 2004 Ford F-150 is an example of a vehicle with a frame that has reinforcement plates (see Figure 6).

Some very important strength can be done by putting a spacer between the rails at the big hole in front and inserting a long bolt with washers and torque. This will help with collapse of the thin tube. Removal of the tow hooks and welding a 1/4" flat piece the width of the frame rail at the bottom will add in the structural up down bending torque of the winch then fasten the tow hooks back . This is part of a professional design for a frame mounted winch system. U have also a torque arm with UR instal to consider if U get away from a very straight pull. The problem comes in if U ever are in a position where U hitch back to UR tow hooks. Say to pull UR self out with a ****** block say hitching around something to bulky to simply hook to. Then there is the remote. They do not always work as intended, do not shut off right away. Right now UR tempting fate. Just saying to save U much. MHO.

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.50631...17331&pid=15.1
Your first link is dead.

You talk about adding 1/4" plate between the frame rails... I guarantee that the square tube I used is far less likely to bend than 1/4" plate. pound for pound, hollow is ALWAYS stronger than solid.

I have already done plenty of pulls at terrible angles. I had the grill out to install lights a couple weeks ago and I carefully inspected for bending and cracking and saw no evidence of fatigue.

When someone with a degree or career in structural engineering tells me it's bad, then I'll rethink it.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:01 AM
Suspended
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
No under the tubes on each side and bolted in spacers inside each frame tube. If U have holes in UR frame U can bolt the 2 pieces of flat stock on. That is the way for the latest series of F150. Each frame tube is basically 2 sections less than 10 gauge put together. Tubes crush easily. N since us missed the part about not welding on a hydroformed frame!

http://www.i-car.com/html_pages/tech...4/091304.shtml

Last edited by papa tiger; 11-29-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that's pretty sweet

Posted from F150online.com App for Android

Quick Reply: I built my own front mount hitch to mount my new winch (PICS)