1997 - 2003 F-150

SSDD: F150 windows

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012 | 10:45 AM
|
SSDD: F150 windows

For the forum police: YES! while awaiting the arrival of my very own Haynes, I Googled for about a week before joining this site. I have unresponsive power windows, both sides, in my green '98 F150 XLT 4.6 4X4, ext cab, towing package, NRA sticker on the bumper, a cracked windshield, homemade wooden 2x4 railings and stains on the carpet. Oh and it was hit on the passenger side and has a replacement door and my firstborn is female.

Seems that the convenience of power windows is ultimately a PITA.

Here's the skinny: I checked the three fuses mentioned in previous threads- I forgot which numbers, but two are under the dash and one is under the hood. All appear to be good- not showing obvious signs of burning out. Then I replaced the relay- shoot, one day it'll hafta be replaced anyway. Nothing.
I tried the switches from my nephew's truck [forum police, he's got the same truck, only brown, if that matters]. Nothing.
I pulled the switches off and applied power to the harness where the switches connect. Nothing.
I applied power to the window motor's pigtail and OH MY! the motor's fine. [Forum police: both window motors work under direct contact with power.]

Ssoooo... maybe a broken wire?

---OR---
(this is where I get pissed all over again)
perhaps the technician who installed the DUI interlock device [so I could get a license in NM years after I'd paid my debt to society and moved out of FLA permanently] mucked something up with the wiring.
For obvious reasons, I haven't contacted them yet: "Oh we do hundreds of these and never had a complaint."

What say ye, F150 compatriots? 3-way toggles mounted to the dash? Replacement barebones doors with manual windows and locks? I have heat and a/c that needs charging, but I've also got a dog who occupies the passenger side of my truck. I need windows for her.

Old 04-21-2012 | 09:02 PM
Are you getting current to the plug where the switches plug into? Have you tested that with a voltmeter?

Quick Reply: SSDD: F150 windows