1997 - 2003 F-150

Please help!!! Need truck fixed!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012 | 10:58 PM
|
Please help!!! Need truck fixed!!!!

My yoke snaped a month ago. Purchased new slip yoke driveshaft and yoke. Got them installed. A few day ago I was pulling into car wash. It seemed like my truck got bumped into neutral. Could not go anywhere in 2wd. Put it in 4wheel high and it started going. Put it back intO 2wd and it started going. Got back on main road and got up to 40mph and it wouldn't go no faster. If I have it has it would start to bog down to 40 again. Though it was rear end. Pulled diff cOver off and there was only 5 bolts in the tone gear the other 4 were just rattling around in there. So I checked all the gears and they were fine. Replaced all the bolts and took for a test drive. It somehow got kicked into 4 wheel drive and was jammed. Finally got it into 2 wheel and it did the same problem at 40 mph. What is causing this I need my truck back. It's a 2000 f150 4 wheel on the floor. 7in lift on 35's with 4.10 gears. Please someone help.

Old 05-03-2012 | 11:07 PM
Suspended
Not trying to be rude, can you please edit that and make it readable? I'm having a hard time following exactly what's going on due to the poor grammar.

Old 05-03-2012 | 11:23 PM
|
okay lets try this again. sorry posted it from my phone. Okay i was driving a month ago and the yoke snapped on my truck. I replaced everything from slip yoke all the way back to the yoke. it was driving awesome until i drove it a few days ago. I was pulling into the car wash and let off the gas to brake. when i hit the gas pedal again my speedometer shot up to 100mph and it would not drive forward. I put my truck into 4wd and started going forward when i hit the gas. So i put it back into 2wd and it started driving. It occured to me that it was just a slight problem. I drove it around town and it drove fine but i noticed that sometimes when i hit the gas it would take a second to engage into gear. I got it on the highway and sped up to 40mph everything fine until I tried to go any faster. If i tried to give it gas it would start "bogging" really bad. and wouldnt allow me to go any faster. I finally got it home. I pulled the rear differential cover off and there was loose bolts in the bottom of my differential case. They were the bolt that go into the tone gear into the pinion gear. so i replaced all 10 of the bolt. all my gears in the rear end are fine, not eaten up at all. Put back together and took for a test drive. Somehow my truck got into 4wd. So i tried to make it back home into 4wd because everytime i put it in 2wd it wouldnt go anywhere. I jacked up the front end and pulled in back into 4wheel low and the jammed it into 2wd. took for another test drive. It was in 2wd again! But it had the same problem as before (not going more than 40mph). on my way back ome from the test drive i head a big clunk and it wouldnt go anywhere unless i put it in 4wd. I know it seems confusing but this is the only way to describe it.

Old 05-03-2012 | 11:34 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Originally Posted by 06yz250f
Not trying to be rude, can you please edit that and make it readable? I'm having a hard time following exactly what's going on due to the poor grammar.
Good luck with this one.

Old 05-03-2012 | 11:56 PM
sounds as if t-case is having issues... and or the tranny is shot.

Old 05-04-2012 | 01:13 AM
|
Trying to find out if anyone else has had a similar problem. Not wanting to take to a shop I can do the work myself. This just has my brain puzzled. Want to get some input before digging into it.

Old 05-04-2012 | 06:38 AM
I know you can write, -so you might want to proof a little better before you post. #2 doesn't have caps. Makes it hard to read.

That way you'll most likely get more help in the future. It's not that bad, - thought you should know.

These transmissions can act goofy like that when low on fluid. I'd check that first. Check it @ operating temp after about 10-20 miles.

Old 05-04-2012 | 08:47 AM
How do you snap a yoke? Don't hear that too often.. May be an underlying issue somewhere in the drivetrain that had something to do with the yoke snapping. Unless you let your U joints get to the point they ate the yoke. But then again at the car wash, when you realized it wasnt moving you put your foot to the floor... "when i hit the gas pedal again my speedometer shot up to 100mph and it would not drive forward" And you have bolts coming loose in your rear differential.. don't hear that to often either. Care to imply who the last person in there was? That may be the root of all evil.
You also stated.. "somehow my truck got into 4wd" What does that mean? Was the indicator on the dash in the selected 4wd position or no? I mean you were switching it back and forth engaging and disengaging it just before that.

I'm confused. need more coffee to understand this one I guess.

Old 05-04-2012 | 01:10 PM
|
Okay the u-joint ate the old yoke up like you said. and the bolts in the read end somehow vibrated loose. at least thats what the threads looked like. the indicator was not on the dash when it was "stuck" in 4wd. I was switching it back and forth to try and get the truck back to my house. Because when i was in 2wd it saomehow popped into neutral. Its very confusing I know.

Old 05-04-2012 | 01:47 PM
first is this a manual 4x4 or switch on dash 4x4?

Old 05-04-2012 | 02:11 PM
He has a 7' lift, 35 tires and replaced 4:10 gears.
Something's wrong with the basic installation to cause all this greif.
He has to work it out because he can't be helped much from a board.
Sounds like the workmanship was shoddy and no attention to detail and common sense.
Sorry to sound harsh but this is what I see from your postings.
One question. Was the rear axle angle changed to to better work with the drive shaft angle? May be the reason the U joints gave up?????
Ya gota do things right.
Good luck.

Old 05-04-2012 | 02:33 PM
glc
Hmm - you have a good point. There is a distinct possibility that these major mods were done under a shade tree or by a shop that doesn't know what they are doing. Buzzing the speedo up to 100 mph without the truck moving is not something someone who cares about mechanical things would do either - this may indicate a history of owner abuse. Not accusing anyone of anything, just making a remote observation.

Old 05-04-2012 | 02:50 PM
Suspended
Drain your oil from the t-case and see what comes out.

Old 05-04-2012 | 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by ZachK14
Okay the u-joint ate the old yoke up like you said. and the bolts in the read end somehow vibrated loose. at least thats what the threads looked like. the indicator was not on the dash when it was "stuck" in 4wd. I was switching it back and forth to try and get the truck back to my house. Because when i was in 2wd it saomehow popped into neutral. Its very confusing I know.
Did you check the damn fluid, you want help or not?

F- it.

Ignore list.

Old 05-04-2012 | 06:48 PM
When there is a bunch of bolts found laying in the axle housing like was indicated, it suggests that the bolts were never torqued nor thread locker used on the threads..
Do the job over right and learn the lesson the hard way.

Quick Reply: Please help!!! Need truck fixed!!!!