1997 - 2003 F-150

Duplicolor Shadow on my 02 Harley Edition

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 12:46 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DansViper
Wow got blasted for not posting up pics right away and now i get no feedback now that they're up. Lol.
We have lives. Its not like all of us come on here every hour of the day and have 9,000 posts!

But it looks good!

Old 10-18-2012, 01:21 PM
Global Moderator &
Administrator
Contributor
Super Moderator
Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts
Were they starting to dull? Why the sudden change?

Old 10-18-2012, 01:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DumpsterDave
I think that stuff looks good. I've actually been toying with the idea of using it on the chromed sections of my bumpers ('00 xlt supercab 4x4).I'm not much of a fan of chrome and this seems like a way to tone it down. Where did you purchase the product, and if you don't mind me asking, for how much. Is there much prep involved when using this?
Any auto part store sells it. Along with meijer and walmart

Old 10-19-2012, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by DumpsterDave
I think that stuff looks good. I've actually been toying with the idea of using it on the chromed sections of my bumpers ('00 xlt supercab 4x4).I'm not much of a fan of chrome and this seems like a way to tone it down. Where did you purchase the product, and if you don't mind me asking, for how much. Is there much prep involved when using this?
I dont mind at all. I picked it up at AutoZone. I believe it was only $19.99 per kit. The kit comes with the translucent base coat and a final clear coat. As for prep...all that is needed is to clean the surface with a prep solvent or alcohol. I just used simple alcohol swabs like you can get at walmart for $2. DO NOT sand or "rough-up" the chrome first, the base coat contains an adhesion promoter, so no scuffing is required. It is recommended to NOT scuff the surface because any scratches WILL show through the base coat. I used 3 light to medium base coats and 2 light, then 1 "wet" coat of the clear. The clear is where the gloss comes from. If i ever re-do them i will def use more clear coat, just to give a deeper gloss. Any more questions feel free to ask.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by Patman
Were they starting to dull? Why the sudden change?
They aren't dulling, but to keep the "black chrome" effect you have to keep them clean. If you dont have time to clean them all the time they will just appear to be gloss black or flat black depending on build up.

I try to wash my truck every week, but contrary to Raptors belief, i do have a life and cant always do that. I work swing shift, so the truck doesnt take precedence over my family time when im not at work.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by Raptor05121
We have lives. Its not like all of us come on here every hour of the day and have 9,000 posts!

But it looks good!
I might get on here maybe 1 or 2 times a week....smartazz. Every post you've ever put on any of my threads is condescending. Guess you know everything. Dont like my subjects or posts...see yourself to the exit!

Old 03-26-2013, 08:24 PM
Removed the Duplicolor this past week. It didn't fair too well through the winter months and road salt. Came off fairly easy with a enviro-friendly citrus paint stripper. Now i just need to decide if i am staying with the chrome look or maybe taking a shot at a plast-dip color.

Quick Reply: Duplicolor Shadow on my 02 Harley Edition