1997 - 2003 F-150

Stock Fender Flare Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013 | 08:38 PM
|
Stock Fender Flare Issue

2000 F150 XLT 4x4

Today I noticed that the front right fender flare had somehow warped and pulled away from the fender. Any suggestions as to how to correct this? Has this happened to any of y'all before? I know it's not really a critical issue, but it's still annoying. See pictures below.

Name:  2443A620_zps12138d7c.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  155.5 KB

Name:  B34B8C0F_zpsf2c7510d.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  120.7 KB

Old 03-26-2013 | 08:56 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Looks like a green tab came unsnapped. They use those green tab fasteners and sort of push-snap into place to hold the flare tight to the body. You might be able to snap it back tight if you do it right.

Old 03-26-2013 | 09:00 PM
You wont know if fastener broke, or the spot for the fastener to slide into broke or the hole in your fender started to rott out which I doubt until you pull the flare off. Very easliy done. Im assuming you have already tried pushing the flare back into the fender.

Last edited by ratherBstroked; 03-26-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-26-2013 | 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by ratherBstroked
Im assuming you have already tried pushing the flare back into the fender.
Why , he didn't post that. I wouldn't have posted what I did, if THAT was so assuming.

They don't break usually. The tabs can unsnap just from waxing or washing your vehicle. But, it takes a little bit getting them back into place without removing the entire flare. A "push" isn't enough from my experience lol. First he needs to see if it is indeed a snap. The damn flares are plastic and they DO warp. You can fix that as well.

Old 03-26-2013 | 11:47 PM
I assumed (wrong of me to do so) that he would have tried to push it back in. Wouldnt you have tried to push it back in as a common thing to do? I know you have more knowledge than me with these particular trucks but I bought my first truck which was a 2000 f 150 back in 03, then a 97 the following year and now another 97 and I have never seen or heard of a flare popping out when when washing or waxing but then again my trucks dont see much washing and waxing anymore. OP, look down through the gap you have between the flare and your fender and see if you can see the green push pin. If you can see it then press in on that location with both of your thumbs and see if it catches. Just trying to help.

Old 03-27-2013 | 12:20 AM
I have never seen or heard of a flare popping out when when washing or waxing but then again my trucks dont see much washing and waxing anymore.
Yes you have, I just said so. In fact, you don't have to tough anything at all for that to occur. The sun can do it all on it's own. Now you know even more. So what, I guess I'm confused, do you think it happened magically?

OP, look down through the gap you have between the flare and your fender and see if you can see the green push pin.
Right, like I said, without the detail. Sort of waiting for some reply first, before the details. It saves time.

Contradicting my first post didn't help a bit IMO. I wouldn't do that to someone trying to help in the first place.

Old 03-27-2013 | 12:45 AM
[QUOTE=jbrew;4969597]Why , he didn't post that. I wouldn't have posted what I did, if THAT was so assuming.QUOTE]

I posted 4 minutes after you and thought I was the first reply soo your first post meant nothing to me. I think that the detail helped. Maybe he could just go out and do it instead of coming back in and waiting for your reply if he asked for more detail.

Whatever man, I dont even know why I am still replying. Sorry dumpster dave for firing up your thread. Good luck man, Im sure you'll figure it out.

Old 03-27-2013 | 12:02 PM
|
Thanks for the insight guys.....

I went and looked and the 2 clips are to either side of where the flare is bowed out. I'm thinking it may be warped as jbrew indicated. With that in mind, which path should I take towards fixing this.

Old 03-27-2013 | 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by DumpsterDave
Thanks for the insight guys.....

I went and looked and the 2 clips are to either side of where the flare is bowed out. I'm thinking it may be warped as jbrew indicated. With that in mind, which path should I take towards fixing this.
Yea, you'll have to heat it with a heat gun. It's possible to do on the truck, but I wouldn't recommend it, you may damage the clear coat/paint in the area. Never the less, you would have to clamp it tight against the body. Using a heat gun, heat the flare in stages until it remains in position once clamps are removed.

Doing this with flare removed is easier and safer as you apply heat to the inside of the flare(stages as well), while clamped against a straight edge.

Old 03-27-2013 | 06:00 PM
Just keep in mind, it doesn't require a whole lot of heat. The flare itself can take quite a bit, but paint can not. The heat guns I use can melt solder and sweat plumbing fittings together. I'm just saying, depending on the one you might be using, they can heat it up very fast. A hair dryer may be tried first and may be enough to get it back in shape.

Old 03-27-2013 | 06:05 PM
|
Thanks jbrew. I have a heat gun with high and low settings. I'll give it a go on low first.

Old 03-28-2013 | 05:52 AM
[QUOTE=ratherBstroked;4969619]
Originally Posted by jbrew

Whatever man, I dont even know why I am still replying. Sorry dumpster dave for firing up your thread. Good luck man, Im sure you'll figure it out.
Your alright, -it was my fault anyway. Hate when that happens. Regardless, I apologize.

Old 03-28-2013 | 05:57 AM
Originally Posted by DumpsterDave
Thanks jbrew. I have a heat gun with high and low settings. I'll give it a go on low first.
No problem, just heat it a little at a time. Even the low setting can get things cookin.

Quick Reply: Stock Fender Flare Issue