1997 - 2003 F-150

Got my truck repainted.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013 | 12:08 AM
|
Got my truck repainted.

Goodbye Pacific Green Metallic, Hello Bright Orange.

I set out to get my truck repainted, first thing I did was start stripping my hood as all of the clear coat laquer had chipped off, that laquer crackling effect looks like crap.

Then I took my truck to my buddies house who is an auto body man, prep, paint and buffing. We started the body work and shaving emblems off and then we applied 3 mil of 2k primer at $85/gal (plus $25 for hardener) this was done 5 weeks ago.

2 weeks ago we started doing more body work and more and more body work, we still managed to miss some dents and rock chips in the panels. If I was going for the Riddler award at Barrett Jackson I would have spent the dime on getting it perfect, but Im not. I just want enjoy it for what it is, and knowing that my F150 is different, I should get some Honda emblems and stick those on wonder how many people would say WTF?

Paint is Omni MBC PPG Hot licks color chart, Bright Orange (Lead-its not safe for sale in California [BD]). $35/qt (plus $25/gal of slow urethane reducer) used approx 1 gallon on entire truck including jambs and inside of doors. Clear coat was $200 a gallon (plus $35 for activator) used almost the entire thing I bought the premium with a lot less yellow in the bottom. I dont remember the brand right off hand, but I'll buy it again. This paint job probably would cost me more than the truck is worth if I had paid someone else to do it.

Its still not done yet, we started sanding on the clear coat to smooth it that is why its not shiny anymore and looks white. I did a satin black on my mirror bodies and caps, as well as my grille shell. I went with metallic black for the grille insert and gloss black for rock guards on the lower panels. I'll also be blackening the bumpers to make it match the rest of the trim.

I am removing the nerf bars. They were a fad when I first got the truck, they gave it character but they've become a maintenance nightmare, now that they are coated with lead paint and clear coat that means more work. Plus I don't see a need for people to stand on the side of the side and potentially scratch my new paint.

Old 05-06-2013 | 12:14 AM
Barrett Jackson does not have the Riddler Contest...........But good job so far.

Old 05-06-2013 | 07:06 AM
kind of looks like the road construction fleet trucks we have here in mi

Old 05-06-2013 | 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by illness95
kind of looks like the road construction fleet trucks we have here in mi
Because thats what every guy wants to hear after spending roughly $500 on primer, paint and clear and 6 weeks of sanding and body work... Hey after all those hours and money your truck looks just like a construction vehicle. I think its cool your going to a unique color like orange. Tons of respect for doing it yourself. Truck looks good. Cant wait to see what it will look like when Yall are all done and take some day light pics.

Old 05-06-2013 | 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by Tomzilla83
Because thats what every guy wants to hear after spending roughly $500 on primer, paint and clear and 6 weeks of sanding and body work... Hey after all those hours and money your truck looks just like a construction vehicle. I think its cool your going to a unique color like orange. Tons of respect for doing it yourself. Truck looks good. Cant wait to see what it will look like when Yall are all done and take some day light pics.
so you assume im insulting him ? i assume it will look good when its done..

Old 05-06-2013 | 01:24 PM
Just seemed odd I guess. Most people dont consider construction vehicles appealing or something that they would want to emulate.

Old 05-06-2013 | 01:28 PM
that sucker will light up the street. sounds like an awesome plan, be sure to post the photo to show the phases!

Old 05-06-2013 | 02:30 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Should look great when finished. Very unique.

Old 05-09-2013 | 11:31 PM
|
Looks better in person, it has a slight florescent yellow pigment in the paint we wouldn't have noticed it until we wet sanded the color. Its not construction orange by any stretch I was afraid it would be close to the road signs but its far from it they have more red and are really reflective. Its not cabby orange either those are darker orange. I'd like to have that Tangerine or Molten Orange or the bright light blue that is on new mustangs on my next vehicle.

Old 05-10-2013 | 12:26 AM
I see where you got your inspiration from...

Old 05-10-2013 | 05:03 PM
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by Tomzilla83

what about honesty?? what's wrong with that???

Old 05-10-2013 | 05:04 PM
Truck of the Month
I'm also not a huge fan of the color choice, BUT I am glad to see someone doing this themself

and I'm sure there's a lot of hours ahead of the OP unless he wants that orange peel

Old 05-10-2013 | 05:17 PM
some chrome and tint would easily set it far apart from highway dept. vehicles....looks like a good beginning IMO

Old 05-11-2013 | 09:02 AM
Global Moderator &
I think I would have spent the money to upgrade to the 99-03 Clip with PTM bumpers before painting it.

Did you paint in a booth or in a home garage?

Old 05-15-2013 | 05:11 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Haha, I took one glance at that license plate and knew you were in AZ, because of how the paint is burned off it. Yeah, its a dry heat. Dry and deadly.

Anyway, please tell me you're going to do something about the orange in the wheel wells.

Oh, and the majority of the construction vehicles out here are green - so are most of the fire trucks. I guess we just don't have enough green in the desert, so we have to make our own.

Quick Reply: Got my truck repainted.