1997 - 2003 F-150

Thinking about buying 99' F350 5.4 Auto 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 06:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is no replacement for displacement.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:23 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree on the blown plug issue.

If it were me, I'd check it out with a code scanner to see if it was recently erased. Also, ask what weight oil was used. 5W20 or 5W30 in these trucks. If he was running thicker oil, avoid the rig. Also compare the gap between the bed and the cab and make sure the driver and passenger sides match. That will be a good indication of abuse or accident damage. Mine don't match

Other than that, examine and sniff the fluids.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:37 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
I'm an old conservative guy I admit. I would not buy a modified truck unless I could repair it myself. Sounds like big trouble to me.

In my younger days, I was a hot rodder, drag racer, and rebuilt engines for fun just for the record.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:30 PM
Ok, well he's driving to me monday and i'll check it out, we had a long conversation and he had it for 8 years. He had the trans fluid done 4-5 years, axles are 3:73 lsd or posi he's not sure he just uses it for snow he's in his late 50's trucks too big for him. Also a plus here!! He said he took it to the ford dealership to do the tune up so i'm sure it was done right. I will definitely check the bed clearance between cab on both sides, rockers, and i'm definitely getting under the truck rain or shine and checking it out good, it's not a dog he says because it has full exhaust, cai, some other stuff too. I'll keep you guys updated

Old 05-29-2013, 09:38 PM
hes coming down tomorrow, gonna look it over 100%, he says its not a hog, i honestly think it has gears because someone before him did all this work to it, im sure they did gears, but ill find out and i may just be the proud owner of a 99 f350 tomorrow

Old 05-30-2013, 06:08 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
be sure to post some pics...

Old 05-30-2013, 06:47 PM
He called me at 1pm today saying he's not coming because "i ask too many questions and he feels he's going to WASTE HIS TIME", who doesn't ask questions about a truck your interested in buying? Looks like i'm not getting into the ford game any time soon...

Old 05-30-2013, 08:32 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by MonstaF350
I'd like to get some opinions from the people that know fords unlike me to let me know what to watch out for when i go see this truck.

It's a 1999 Ford f350 single cab long bed auto 4x4 5.4L 136k miles, crank windows, manual locks, aftermarket stereo, 37" nitto mud grapplers on some 22" rims....which i don't like. He honestly says theres nothing wrong with it other than minor dings and dents, says it has a cold air intake, gibson headers, flowmaster 40 exhaust, says only 1 problem he had was one day it wouldnt start he thinks its the fuel pump but he's driving to me some time this week so i would imagine the truck is mechanically fine, he doesn't know if any of the fluids were recently changed except for the engine oil....

What should i watch out for? Thanks guys appreciate it
Nice trrucks, I purchased a 99 new when they came out. - had the 7.3 in it tho. That was probably my favorite Ford truck I've owned. Totalled it tho, - sad day.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:39 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
He called me at 1pm today saying he's not coming because "i ask too many questions and he feels he's going to WASTE HIS TIME", who doesn't ask questions about a truck your interested in buying? Looks like i'm not getting into the ford game any time soon...
What he's trying to tell you is he don't know sh_t or more likely he's hiding something. That's the ONLY reason why he would say something like that. There isn't another one. You'll never get that out of him tho. I'd pass, he isn't the only one with a truck like that for sale. That's just too flaky for me lol. I've learned to never trust someone like that and choose not to associate myself with it. That's if I have a choice lol.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:32 PM
Well turns out, after he flipped out on me and i did a little exchanging of words since the day before i posted last, i texted him again and APPARENTLY he's going to drive over here, trust me though i'm not going to ask him many questions, i'll just spend a good 45 minutes looking at everything from the roof to the little rocks stuck in the mud tires haha.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:33 PM
I'll post later tonight if i get it or not, if i do i'll post a picture up

Old 06-11-2013, 08:36 PM
he originally said needed nothing, then right before he was leaving to drive to me, he said the ac doesn't blow cold, originally he said it was cold as ice. He got here...the pictures seemed like the truck was mint, truck was farrrrrr from mint, he didn't tell me about multiple deep scratches/dents on the truck, driver seat being ripped, headliner sagging, no driver door lock !!!, 2" square holes cut in both the door panels, trans has hard downshifts...harder than i ever felt, other than that and some squeaks from something, and obviously...rust...a lot of surface rust on everything everywhere, pretty serious leak coming from transfercase, some sort of connector just dangling right near the leak thats not hooked up to anything, man...you have to slam door to get it to shut, probably hasn't been cleaned in years...

Old 06-11-2013, 09:11 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Well, now you can forget about it without having second thoughts. It sounds like it has had a hard life and will be a money pit.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
he originally said needed nothing, then right before he was leaving to drive to me, he said the ac doesn't blow cold, originally he said it was cold as ice. He got here...the pictures seemed like the truck was mint, truck was farrrrrr from mint, he didn't tell me about multiple deep scratches/dents on the truck, driver seat being ripped, headliner sagging, no driver door lock !!!, 2" square holes cut in both the door panels, trans has hard downshifts...harder than i ever felt, other than that and some squeaks from something, and obviously...rust...a lot of surface rust on everything everywhere, pretty serious leak coming from transfercase, some sort of connector just dangling right near the leak thats not hooked up to anything, man...you have to slam door to get it to shut, probably hasn't been cleaned in years...
This kind of crap makes me very angry and I run into this every time I buy used. Everyone says its mint, needs nothing and is rust free like you are going to buy it over the phone sight unseen. When I roll up to see a scab that was supposed to be a cherry I point out everything that is wrong with it then thank them for wasting my time and that is if I stop at all. One guy told me his beater was flawless and saw me coming up the driveway. The truck looked bad at a distance so I turned around and drove off, left him standing in the yard. All I can say is good luck in your search and be patient.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:06 PM
This is probably why he didn't want to come down. He knew you were going to be going over it with a fine tooth comb and he essentially had nothing more than a mud toy.

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying 99' F350 5.4 Auto 4x4