1997 - 2003 F-150

5.4 lightning swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 06:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am dumb to this engine swap that's why I came on her for help as far as I can tell the engines are the same except for the eaton supercharger fuel injectors and pump and maybe the computer . This would be no different from me putting a supercharger on my current engine and getting bigger fuel injectors and pump like I did on my mustang. I'm not changing trannies no matter what kind I have if it breaks under the new power then ill fix it and I'm not losing my four wheel drive. So if anyone has input that is not sarcastic as hell that would actually help this marine then put it on here if not the *uck off

Old 05-31-2013, 07:12 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Usmcjwg
Listen smart asses I went to the dealership to ask because you all was telling me to swap this an that and never told me a straight up answer on if it would or not so I didn't know what else to do. If you all would give a straight answer then I would have new from you all.

then maybe you should listen or at least pay attention to those trying to help you...

Old 05-31-2013, 07:15 PM

I am dumb to this engine swap that's why I came on her for help as far as I can tell the engines are the same except for the eaton supercharger fuel injectors and pump and maybe the computer . This would be no different from me putting a supercharger on my current engine and getting bigger fuel injectors and pump like I did on my mustang. I'm not changing trannies no matter what kind I have if it breaks under the new power then ill fix it and I'm not losing my four wheel drive. So if anyone has input that is not sarcastic as hell that would actually help this marine then put it on here if not the *uck off

who cares if you're a marine, honestly thank you for your service but that doesn't mean you can talk smalk to people

there's more than one of us who told you to simply bolt the top end to your current motor

yes the motors are externally identical (the pistons are what seperates these motors)

and as long as you don't do anything stupid with the N/A motor you'll be fine with boosting it

now I'll let you go back thru this thread at the advice that's been offered and when you choose to acknowledge it then I'll be back to answer your additional questions

Old 05-31-2013, 07:15 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
This would be no different from me putting a supercharger on my current engine and getting bigger fuel injectors and pump like I did on my mustang.
thats what i did on my truck.

whats the mileage on your current engine and the lightning engine?

Old 05-31-2013, 07:19 PM
Mine has 307000 miles the light has 48k if I remember right. And I understand you are trying to help I just didn't see it in the post when I read them seemed like everyone was trying to get me to Change trannies and such and that wasnt what I was needed. Thanks for everyone replies and I do jump the gun with attitude sometimes guess that's what I've been taught so forgive my forward ness

Old 05-31-2013, 07:22 PM
Didn't see the post about bolting on the top end

Old 05-31-2013, 07:22 PM
Can someone tell me where the classifieds are on here and how to get to them

Old 05-31-2013, 07:25 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
its under "marketplace" on the list of forums.

with that high of mileage, i would swap the motor. you will need custom tuning to get your PCM to work with the lightning motor.

so you will also need a SCT programmer with a custom tune to get it to run. where do you live? maybe you live close to a tuner.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:29 PM

let me sum it up for you, since you forgot already...

this was your first post in this thread:
I have a 2001 f150 screw 4x4 with the 5.4 and the automatic. Can I swap a complete lighting supercharged engine into my truck and if so will all I need is the computer from the lightning truck? I have a buddy with the wrecked lighting and that's my donor truck. What else would I need ie; bigger fuel pump, electric fans an such
jbrew gave you the K.I.S.S. (I assume since you're in "the Corps" you already know what that means, if not I'll explain it for you)

Originally Posted by jbrew
Nope, you use your PCM, just have it tuned for the lightnig specs.
to which I agree'd and expanded on why
Originally Posted by tarajerame
/\/\/\ this is true, unless you swap your 4r70 for a 4r100 (which leads to an entire new can of worms for the un-informed)

as far as what else you'll need, there are a few supercharger assemblies in the classifieds with the lists, Mike Dunn's website or you can check out the thousands of threads on here asking the same questions

BUT yes, you'll need a larger MAF, injectors, fuel pump and a tune at a minimum

then comes an un-educated / misguided feller
Originally Posted by illness95
If your using his truck as a donor get the whole thing , and use everything .. The motor trans computer wiring gauge cluster .. Makes it easier to just swap out !!
to which I clarified why he was posting BAD INFO
Originally Posted by tarajerame
the transmission and ECM swap brings on a whole bunch of parts, swapping / wiring / tuning / pats issues that are not needed
and then jbrew again applying the K.I.S.S. rule
Originally Posted by jbrew
That's not very ethical, - possible I guess, but it will cost you and say by by to 4by. And you couldn't pay me to do it without my 4wd..

then here comes str8t six, who's written a "how to" on this topic you'vve asked about (due to the thousands of threads just like this one that pop every other day or so)
Originally Posted by str8t six
just swap the engine and other accessories needed to get the truck running right.

swapping the trans is a PITA and unnecessary

then you posted this, expressing your desire to use the K.I.S.S. rule
I'm not using the truck for a race vehicle just towing and everyday driving. I would rather die than lose 4 wd and I think I have the 4r100 tranny already. I need to know will this swap be as simple as taking my entire engine out and bolting this entire engine in. I can get the fuel pump as well and the fuel rail,injectors and such will all still be on the new engine. I can get this engine cheaper than a remain factory 5.4 and that's what I'm looking for. The fact that it has the supercharger is a bonus but only if its not going to cost me a furtune in other things ie exhaust etc.

then you went and gathered some uneducated information even though we had already answered your questions, violating the K.I.S.S. rule
The local ford dealership said the only difference I would run into would be the fuel pump and the PCM does that sound right because I can have my PCM programmed and I have the fuel pump

and now I'll once again explain why you need to ignore that dealership moron(s) you spoke with
They even said my exhaust would fit but may have to swap oil pans
the oil pans are the same, and the exhaust will not simply bolt up, due to the Lightning exhaust crossing over at the 4r100 crossmember (now a good exhaust shop can add the required hangers to make it work,) BUT the "dealership" has NO idea how simple this swap is

Old 05-31-2013, 07:31 PM

Mine has 307000 miles the light has 48k if I remember right. And I understand you are trying to help I just didn't see it in the post when I read them seemed like everyone was trying to get me to Change trannies and such and that wasnt what I was needed. Thanks for everyone replies and I do jump the gun with attitude sometimes guess that's what I've been taught so forgive my forward ness

I understand, and there's a lot of whiners who cry about my blunt approach, BUT you'll figure out why I'm the way I am

what is this guy charging you for the parts you're going to need?

Old 05-31-2013, 09:02 PM
1800 for engine complete and PCM if needed I traded a fuel rail off my 5.0 for his fuel pump is that bad?

Old 05-31-2013, 09:03 PM
And I appreciate the breakdown sometimes I'm a little confused by the writing on here after all I'm 0317 0321 lol

Old 05-31-2013, 09:24 PM
OP, I'm surprised anyone is even trying to help up. Stop being a dipstick and use your own brain housing group. You're acting like these guys here owe you an answer.

If you're not willing to do some work on your own, then they can't (Or at least shouldn't) help you.

btw, don't flippantly bring up that you are a Marine to try and trump an argument. Using your title as a reason to garner respect is a disservice to the uniform and my Corps. Honestly I could care less if you're a Marine, if acting like a brat you're going to get treated like one.

Semper Fi.

Good luck with your build.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:26 PM

so go ahead and get the entire long block and everything bolted to the engine

then remove the front bumper and secure the H/E (heat exchanger) including all brackets, lines and the pump...

grab the fuel hat out of the fuel tank (you can plice in your curent plug or buy an adapter plug)

you'll need the cruise control cable, the throttle cable and the wiring harness can come with the motor but you really don't need it

do not worry about the ECM, but go ahead and grab the dash cluster so later on down the road you can swap that into your truck

after that you're ready to roll

Old 05-31-2013, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the help you made it crystal clear which is why I came on here and I did try and research it myself but came up empty which is why I thought these forums where on here for as far as me being a marine I am proud to be always have always will an I do demand respect because of it I am a proud devil dog and you should be too I would never disrespect my beloved corp and I hope you understand that being a marine yourself. Once again thanks for the help and understanding

Quick Reply: 5.4 lightning swap