1997 - 2003 F-150

Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 08:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trouble

My truck was running fine drove it to work bout 300 miles away parked it for bout 3 days then took it to a car wash. Not the usual one I go to and sprayed the hell out of my truck. Got down the road and it starts missing like its out of gas but its not. It completely died in the middle of the road took a few tries and it starts back up. Drove it the next day and it was running like a top for bout 5 miles then started doing it again and been like that since. Someone told me I got water in my coil packs and to let it dry. It's been 6 days now and it's still doing it... I'm lost to what it could be. Any help?

Old 06-04-2013, 09:00 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
You have one coil pack. Your plug wires are wet or well, I can't remember on the V6 but if your plugs sit down in a hole (plug chamber), they can fill and hold water.

Also, keep in mind, you could have shorted a plug wire or your coil pack. From your description it could be either. It could also be a spark plug, if you hosed her down while running. The porcelain can crack if that happened. So something may have happened that will may never recover until you replace the part.

What you need is a good air compressor with a blow gun attachment to speed dry/clean the wet areas.

Sort of like this one, -

That's a MAC tools blow gun. I'm bragging

Anyway, you know what I mean, that will dry things up quickly.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:32 PM
Thanks I'm try it tomarrow. Iv got a air compressor on my tug boat bigger than ur truck.. I'm bragging lol. If that don't do it then il change the plugs and wires they need it anyways. And I was aware of there being one coil pack just a typo but I really do appreciate the help il let you know I it did the trick.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:00 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Dannyboy8
Thanks I'm try it tomarrow. Iv got a air compressor on my tug boat bigger than ur truck.. I'm bragging lol. If that don't do it then il change the plugs and wires they need it anyways. And I was aware of there being one coil pack just a typo but I really do appreciate the help il let you know I it did the trick.

NICE

Yea post back when you can. It's definitely an ignition type problem.

Unless you attempted to wash inside the cam/valve covers while she was running.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:43 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
A little moisture on a coil with a crack on it can make that happen. Water gets into the coil and settles on the bottom, then after it runs awhile it condensates inside and shorts it out. After it cools all is good until the coil gets warm again, then the cycle starts all over again. May or may not show a code.

jbrew, btw on the 4.2 the plugs are below the rocker covers, like the olden day motors. (You remember them.....right?)

Old 06-05-2013, 09:23 AM
It was an automatic car wash. And I left her running. Havnt blew it out yet get back with ya this evening.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:05 PM
Blew em out with the airline and nozzle just the ones going into the pack and seems to be running ok. Got a 300 mile trip home tomarrow well see how she does. Appreciate the help.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:14 PM
Welp made it home drove 300 miles through rain ran fine. Got home left to get some food and it started all over again in the drive thru and its raining still...

Old 06-06-2013, 06:52 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jbrew
You have one coil pack. Your plug wires are wet or well, I can't remember on the V6 but if your plugs sit down in a hole (plug chamber), they can fill and hold water.

Also, keep in mind, you could have shorted a plug wire or your coil pack. From your description it could be either. It could also be a spark plug, if you hosed her down while running. The porcelain can crack if that happened. So something may have happened that will may never recover until you replace the part.

What you need is a good air compressor with a blow gun attachment to speed dry/clean the wet areas.

Sort of like this one, -

That's a MAC tools blow gun. I'm bragging

Anyway, you know what I mean, that will dry things up quickly.
I have a pretty darn nice blow gun I picked up at a thrift store.. I also have a cheap *** compressor loud as hell but it does what I need it to..

Old 06-06-2013, 06:54 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dannyboy8
Welp made it home drove 300 miles through rain ran fine. Got home left to get some food and it started all over again in the drive thru and its raining still...
look for leaks in the cowling.. I'd dry it out again and dielectric grease up them plug boots.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:53 AM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
il change the plugs and wires they need it anyways.
Change the coil pack too. I'm on my 3rd one.

Quick Reply: Trouble