1997 - 2003 F-150

Questions about front end styling

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 02:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about front end styling

I bought an 04 Heritage about a month ago, and have decided it needs to look different.

I am 90% sure I am getting lightning headlights. They are cheap and clean looking. I cannot decide on a grill. I have the bar grill not mesh. Almost every grill I find is a snap on for mesh.

Can anyone give me a link to one that I can replace my factory grill with, and still have Ford oval, for around $50?

I'm a lifetime chevy fan, but it was cheap and has 50k miles on it.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:12 PM
Welcom lifetime chevy fan.
Cheap and low miles is what turned you onto a ford huh..
Sounds like a girl I used to date.

Anyway.. that's where it all starts. The love I mean, for the truck. You just don't know it yet.

In my Opinion, the best looking grill for these are the oem honeycomb grills or a billet insert. In either case, they are exchangeable with yours and in your price range. As far as the billet grill, you would need the grill that replaces yours, not the one that goes over the original. But then that means you loose the blue oval. Honestly, the ones that are meant to go over the original grill and around the ford emblem look horrid. Much cleaner look if they replace it (yours just snaps out)
You could use the one that goes over yours and around the blue oval, but the look is cheap...

Here is an over replacement. http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-03-Ford-F...97a1a6&vxp=mtr
Dont let their pic fool you. It is Photoshopped. You will be able to see the edges, the grill will stick out further and it is not that nicely fit to the emblem.

Now that I think about it, I am not sure those will fit over the bar style grill you have...?
I know the replacement ones will since you would have to remove the bars to install it.
You could always put an emblem on over the grill .. but the look is cleaner without it IMO

Pics of your truck would help?

Last edited by Toyz; 06-10-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:08 AM

My wife bought this for me so she could drive my "girly" civic.

She told me to pick out some stuff that I want for my birthday in 10 days. I was stuck on putting duals on it, but would cost way too much for me right now.

Any of the grilles on amazon replacement grilles?

Old 06-11-2013, 05:06 PM
That is a great looking truck. Love it.

I think you should paint to match the grill surround and top bumper pad and install a honeycomb grill.
Billet would also look nice.

I havent seen the amazon grills
Let me go look
This is a replacement grill
99-03 Ford F150/Lightning/Harley Davidson Billet Grille Grill Insert # F85072A : Amazon.com : Automotive 99-03 Ford F150/Lightning/Harley Davidson Billet Grille Grill Insert # F85072A : Amazon.com : Automotive

When it says "cutting required" the tabs that hold your gill in place (you will see them once you remove the surround and get to the removing the grill) will need to be trimmed off for that insert to fit behind the grill surround. Kind of a downside. I was able to install mine without removing all of the tabs so if I want to go back to the honeycomb style I still can, just short a few tabs.

BTW, don't pay anymore than about $60 for a billet grill. Some are way over priced but it is easy to find them 50-60 bucks for the uppers.

It will look good either way on that truck.
Is that 4x4? It has the 4x4 lower valance

Last edited by Toyz; 06-11-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes definitely go lightning style headlighs, clear Depo fogs, oem honeycomb grill, paint the surround, and maybe paint the chrome bumper too.
Welcome to Ford. Hope it treats you well like all of ours have done!

Old 06-11-2013, 05:25 PM
Old 06-11-2013, 05:38 PM
Thanks.
I have been lurking around the forums since I boughtt the truck. Seeing that write up made me feel like I could change the grille.

Its 2 wheel drive.

How much would it cost to paint surround?

Old 06-11-2013, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by runwitme

Its 2 wheel drive.
Weird. Ford did funny stuff with the heritage though. You have a 4x4 lower valance. As far as I know, the 2wd did not get the fog light valance and did not have tow hooks. Much better looking IMO

This is a great forum. Endless amounts of information and knowledgeable good people.

Cost,
To do it yourself, maybe $10-12
You can look up your paint code from the door sticker and check to see if duplicolor has it, they probably do. Do a test to see how well it matches, with yours (in good shape) it should match well.

At a shop, I would only be able to guess. Probably around $50-100, depends if you know someone.

Last edited by Toyz; 06-11-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:46 PM
Pretty sure I don't have tow hooks. I gave 4 mud flaps also.

How reasonable are lightning grilles? I'm not a big fan of mesh.

Quick Reply: Questions about front end styling