1997 - 2003 F-150

Intake gasket failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 10:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intake gasket failure

99 5.4L with aluminum intake

Been chasing number 3 and 4 misfire for a month or so now. Coolant in both plug wells. Have gone through 4 cop's in 3 weeks. I know, typical for a heater hose to leak... but it's not. I have looked during every circumstance I can think of. After warm up, during and after long drives, heater at different levels, a/c running, everything etc.... I have been jumping out with a flash light and mirror at just about every stop or gas station for the last few weeks just to look so I could find the leak... and have never noticed even a damp spot anywhere near the hoses. That has been going on for a while and have never found it. No rain in a week either. So, after another misfire today I pulled all the cop's on bank 1 to get a better look at what was going on. It has only been 2 days since my last misfire and I blew the plug well out with compressed air to clean it. Today, it is half full again, both 3 and 4, 2 was damp and showed signs of moisture but no coolant.

Visually, the only wet area is the surface where the intake mates to the head toward the rear. Very wet. Looks like the gasket has failed. It was a felpro, with 60k on it. Installed by me. Both surfaces were cleaned as good as new during the install and proper torque sequence and procedure were followed. I went through the sequence twice what the book stated.

Not saying it was the gasket at fault just yet but I will be going with oem gaskets from here on out.

Last edited by Toyz; 05-31-2014 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ha, that's making me nervous. Every gasket on the top half of my engine is now a Fel-Pro.

Quick Reply: Intake gasket failure