1997 - 2003 F-150

Rear axle help

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 09:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rear axle help

I have a 2000 F150 that has a really bad leaking seal. I bought all the stuff I needed as well as new brakes and e-brake pads as they were soaked with axle fluid.

The seals they gave me are too big ( BRS -40 ) and this is where things got interesting. My axle shafts have the outer seal, the bearings and then there is another seal behind that. All the diagrams I looked at showed the outer seal and bearings but no inner seal. It was worked on years ago for a bearing hum and they replaced both sides bearings and seals with some off brand and I believe that's why it leaked. Is there supposed to be 2 seals?
I`m now thinking I should pull the bearings too since its apart. The ones they put in last time at shop were made by Green? Almost look like seal and bearing in one deal but the inner seal is about 1/4- 1/2" farther in past the bearing..

Axle is 9.75 with 3.55 LS an axle tag :
3 S919F
L55 975 9M11

Is it possible they put " Repair" bearings in the last time instead of the OEM style normal ones? Its almost looks like it but wanted to get the opinion of other here. if not then:

The BRS-40 is too big and I know for sure the BRS-118 ones are way too big. The parts guy at the local Ford Place was more condescending know it all than helpful and really need to get the right bearings and seals for this. Anyone have a clue what the part numbers are ? Pretty sure its the 9.75 with 8.8 axles..No clue what the inner seal is but attached pic, sorry about white bag in pic its covering it tonight...Outer seal has been removed already.
Name:  20140627_205145_zpsdd17ffef.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  91.5 KB

Last edited by 2000FordStyle; 06-27-2014 at 09:18 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:09 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There is an oddity with the 9.75 rear ends. Some of them got 8.8 seals and outer bearings. My trucks like that and thats probably the deal. they might have had 2 bearing sizes listed. You need the one that is listed for 8.8 and 9.75. think sometime in 2000 they changed to a larger bearing but IDK for sure..

Old 06-27-2014, 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by jethat
There is an oddity with the 9.75 rear ends. Some of them got 8.8 seals and outer bearings. My trucks like that and thats probably the deal. they might have had 2 bearing sizes listed. You need the one that is listed for 8.8 and 9.75. think sometime in 2000 they changed to a larger bearing but IDK for sure..
I looked at it some more and it does have the 8.8 shafts with the 9.75 axle and the BRS40 seals should work. The bearing assembly in their has a large race as seen in the pic that takes up the diameter of the axle shaft to the very edge. I think they installed repair bearings in the axle instead of just replacing the bearing and seeing exactly where the slight hum was from. It in turn had its own axle seal which I pulled out and not seen in pic.I see no wear marks on the shafts all to warrant it. The inner rubber seal on the carrier side of the bearing assembly really makes me believe it is a repair assembly and not normal bearing installed. You can see the rubber seal inside in the pic.
If it is repair bearing can they be removed and Motorcraft bearings be put back in? Or did these new bearings seat a new place on the shafts now?

Old 06-27-2014, 10:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
there should be a number on the edge of your old bearing...I can barely make it out in the photo....get that number and cross reference it to a new one

Old 06-27-2014, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by enriched
there should be a number on the edge of your old bearing...I can barely make it out in the photo....get that number and cross reference it to a new one
I tried that too. Its bringing everything up BUT a Ford

Green 1559-TS 7451809.

It seems like this bearing is sticking out too far or like I mentioned may be a complete repair assembly that takes up all the space. The outer seal I took off fit into the bearing assembly just like the Ford ones do.

Old 06-28-2014, 01:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting…….with the seals on both the inner and outer side of the bearing, how does the bearing get lubed? When i re-geared my 2002, I had the same issue with the bearing sizes on the wheel ends- two different sizes listed. I do not have the 9.75, but have the 8.8.
Maybe the bearing was installed wrong? I hope things aren't too bad in there.
I ended up just getting the original bearings out, taking them to the parts store and comparing sizes. The repair bearing, I think moves the seal to a different location in case your axle shafts have a seal groove worn into them.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:36 AM
Originally Posted by 2002 wonderboy
Interesting…….with the seals on both the inner and outer side of the bearing, how does the bearing get lubed? When i re-geared my 2002, I had the same issue with the bearing sizes on the wheel ends- two different sizes listed. I do not have the 9.75, but have the 8.8.
Maybe the bearing was installed wrong? I hope things aren't too bad in there.
I ended up just getting the original bearings out, taking them to the parts store and comparing sizes. The repair bearing, I think moves the seal to a different location in case your axle shafts have a seal groove worn into them.
They installed repair bearings. They stick out about 1/4" or less from the axle shaft and I had pulled the seal from them. From what I read it does move the bearings outboard a bit and created a new surface there. Since my shafts were not grooved or pitted I dont know why they did that. Looks like I will probably just pick up some Timken repair bearings and replace these vs risk going back to stock ones and maybe leaking due to moving surface areas again. Only option to replace the leaky seals or get new shafts and go back to stock bearings and seals.

Here is a better picture showing the bearing inserted and it sticking out about 1/4"....Also shows my pretty bad axle leak.
Name:  Leak_zps57da098f.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  85.3 KB

Quick Reply: Rear axle help