1997 - 2003 F-150

Big Brake Kit advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014 | 04:01 PM
|
Big Brake Kit advice

My F-150 hauls *** with its 640 hp engine, corners like an Indy car with its Ridetech air suspension but leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to stopping. A Brembo kit is almost $4k but there are a few American made kits that range between $2200 and $2900.

Does anyone have any input as to which way I should go?

Thanks

Old 07-09-2014 | 04:24 PM
Technical Article Contributor
I only paid $145 for my Brembo kit and the truck stops on a dime...loaded.

Old 07-09-2014 | 07:19 PM
You didn't say what model truck you have. I suggest you make sure if you will have to install larger diameter wheels to fit the Brembo or other larger brakes behind the wheel. New wheels make the brakes a lot more expensive. I was told by the guy at Tire Rack that new wheels were not necessary on my truck but another web site advised differently. So, I do not know for sure if I'd need larger wheels for my truck.

Old 07-09-2014 | 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
I only paid $145 for my Brembo kit and the truck stops on a dime...loaded.
Ok, I'll bite. where can I buy Brembo brakes for my truck for $145?

Old 07-09-2014 | 07:39 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Originally Posted by Roadie
Ok, I'll bite. where can I buy Brembo brakes for my truck for $145?
Hungry?

What do you mean by Brembo Brakes ? All you need is their great rotors that won't overheat and warp. That's a big problem. I believe I got mine at RA, - 2008. Still running them, excellent rotors. Seriously, not one scratch on them. Once in awhile I'll clean them up with a palm sander..that's about it. They are just like OEM, just allot beefier. Also, replacing the pistons with steel will provide more stopping power. All cheap.

Like I said, stops on a dime and I'm using drums in the rear. The rears don't really matter as far as stopping power... they only assist and help w/control for the most part.

Old 07-16-2014 | 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by dunndeal
My F-150 hauls *** with its 640 hp engine, corners like an Indy car with its Ridetech air suspension but leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to stopping. A Brembo kit is almost $4k but there are a few American made kits that range between $2200 and $2900.
Does anyone have any input as to which way I should go?
Thanks
Let's see a picture of that beast then. lol

If money's no object then I'd go with the 8 piston Brembo kit.

What size rims are you running? Supposedly you need at least 18" rims for the 4 piston calipers and at least 19" rims for the 8 piston calipers.

Is your F150 a SuperCrew, extendencab, harley davidson, or what?

I didn't have the money for a big brake kit myself not to mention I only have 16x10 rims anyways... so I just went with the cheapest slotted and vented rotors I could find, new pads, new brake fluid, and cleaned up the old calipers.

Old 07-16-2014 | 08:10 PM
|
My brother created a webpage devoted to the truck he built. Since his passing that page is no longer viewable. The owner of the website linked below copied/pasted my brother's pictures and put them on his website. They are now saved for posterity.

http://www.i-disappear.com/mad.htm

Most of the info is correct.
The dynamometer graph shows 620 hp, subsequently he made a few changes and it pulled 640 hp,,, keep in mind this truck is California smog legal.

This beast handles as well as it hauls ***.
Mike engineered and constructed a 4 link rear suspension, Ridetech air suspension front and rear, rack & pinion steering and other bells and whistles.

BTW, money is an object but Mike was about to upgraded the brakes when he got sick and eventually passed. It's my job to finish it.

Quick Reply: Big Brake Kit advice