1997 - 2003 F-150

Possible bad cv axel?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014 | 03:35 AM
|
Possible bad cv axel?

Well at the beginning of summer I decided to crank my stock torsion keys up to get my truck to sit level. Now I have this gawd awful clunk sound from the driver side front end. It doesnt do it when, well lets say when both wheels hit something like a speed bump to where they both are going over it at the same time. Lets say Im turning right or left up an incline and the left front tire travels up or down oppisite of the front right tire, this is when it makes this noise. Now one day I went out and started randomly hitting chit until it made this noise, I then stopped upon this clunk and went and inspected. It looks like the inner part of the cv axel separates. Meaning the axel side of the joint drops past the differential side? I hope Im making sense of all this. Other times it looks completly find???? I lost here. I was told maybe my sway bar links could be bad but there doesnt seem to be any play or anything broken for that matter. Thoughts?

Old 10-27-2014 | 09:17 PM
Have you since turned the torsion bars down where they were and see if you still get the noise? How's the lower ball joints?

Last edited by 1-HIGH-4-BY; 10-27-2014 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Word
Old 10-27-2014 | 10:18 PM
|
Lower and upper ball joints are only a few yrs old and dont have more than 10k on them. No I havent tried to crank the keys back down to see if it made a difference. But wouldn't you think if the cv was broke it was broke and not "slip" back into place? That's what has me baffleled. Im going to try to take some pics of it tomorrow and post them.

Old 10-28-2014 | 04:00 PM
Sounds like you altered the angle on your axle shafts by cranking on the torsion bars. You can't change your suspension by more than about 2" without altering the overall geometry somehow. I would go back to about half of what you did and see what happens. Also keep in mind that every action has a reaction, not always a good one......tinkering with your suspension may cause stock parts to fail because you are pushing them past their normal limit.

Old 10-29-2014 | 01:24 AM
|
I just measured the distance between the top of wheel well to the top of the tire. The driver side which was having all the issues was almost 1" higher than the other side. I cranked it back down to meet the passenger side height. Im hoping that solves the problem! I will let ya know tomorrow how I make out..

Quick Reply: Possible bad cv axel?