1997 - 2003 F-150

Fuel gauge is off

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014 | 10:31 AM
|
Fuel gauge is off

Hey guys, I did the dumb thing when I was replacing the bulbs on my trucks dash and I removed all the needles when I didn't need to ... so basically my only accurate gauge is the tachometer ... but my question is: even though my fuel gauge is pretty badly off if my tank gets to E will my fuel light turn on? I assume its not dependent on the needle I messed up and I need to know that it would let me know when I have like a gallon left :/ cause yesterday when I filled up on an eighth of a tank my truck only took 17 gallons and its a 25 gallon tank

Old 10-27-2014 | 11:14 AM
It's not a simple relationship.
The gage position is driven by a data conversion system.
To see this, hold the dash reset button down, start engine, release button after you see all gages sweep test.
Then step re-set button to the word FUEL in the mileage display where the actual level will be displayed as an Octal number as follows;
232= full against the gage stop.
215 =full mark.
178= 3/4 mark.
138= 1/2 mark.
93= 1/4 mark.
0-59 is low fuel depending on the number.
You may wait until one of these indicators numbers appear for actual level then attempt to set the needle position to match when powered up.
The system converts these number levels to an analogue voltage level to position the needle on an 'updated' basis while driving and system power up and downs.
This causes the gage not respond often to a fill level change at low levels and may delay it until the system updates when the micro processor program commands it to do so..
Good luck.

Last edited by Bluegrass; 10-27-2014 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-30-2014 | 08:45 AM
|
Originally Posted by Bluegrass
It's not a simple relationship.
The gage position is driven by a data conversion system.
To see this, hold the dash reset button down, start engine, release button after you see all gages sweep test.
Then step re-set button to the word FUEL in the mileage display where the actual level will be displayed as an Octal number as follows;
232= full against the gage stop.
215 =full mark.
178= 3/4 mark.
138= 1/2 mark.
93= 1/4 mark.
0-59 is low fuel depending on the number.
You may wait until one of these indicators numbers appear for actual level then attempt to set the needle position to match when powered up.
The system converts these number levels to an analogue voltage level to position the needle on an 'updated' basis while driving and system power up and downs.
This causes the gage not respond often to a fill level change at low levels and may delay it until the system updates when the micro processor program commands it to do so..
Good luck.
Your awesome man Sorry for the really late reply I've been busy

Quick Reply: Fuel gauge is off