1997 - 2003 F-150

Plastic peices found under t-stat

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014 | 09:16 AM
Global Moderator &
You don't think there could be smaller pieces? Not trying to start an argument, but it seems a small price to pay to be sure.

- Jack

Old 11-05-2014 | 06:28 PM
|
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
You don't think there could be smaller pieces? Not trying to start an argument, but it seems a small price to pay to be sure.

- Jack
Ok.....sorry for being so ignorant, but doesn't the coolant from the radiator flow from top to bottom of the thermostat? Or does it flow the other way? Reason I ask, is because I found those three other peices UNDER the thermostat once it was removed from the housing. They were just sitting down in there on top of the flat black peice that is under the thermostat housing.

Also, what is a "Reverse Power Flush"? I wouldn't mind doing it just for good measure all the way around.

Old 11-07-2014 | 06:58 AM
Technical Article Contributor

The thermostat is the "last stop" for coolant before it flows into the inlet (top pax side) side of the radiator and then goes across the cooling fins and out of the outlet (bottom drivers side) hose and into the water pump to be pushed into the engine and passages.

Old 11-07-2014 | 11:04 AM
Global Moderator &
Originally Posted by redfarmer84
Ok.....sorry for being so ignorant, but doesn't the coolant from the radiator flow from top to bottom of the thermostat? Or does it flow the other way? Reason I ask, is because I found those three other peices UNDER the thermostat once it was removed from the housing. They were just sitting down in there on top of the flat black peice that is under the thermostat housing.

Also, what is a "Reverse Power Flush"? I wouldn't mind doing it just for good measure all the way around.
You're right about the direction of flow. It IS from top to bottom

A reverse power flush applies high pressure in the opposite direction of normal coolant flow. Instead of trying to force something clogging a tube in deeper, it pushes it out the way it came in (probably a shorter distance). And, it ideally flushes the engine block as well as the radiator.

I have to admit, I don't even know if anyone does this anymore. The one time I had it done was in the early 60s, on an old Chevy that had a badly gummed up cooling system and was overheating. It cooled like new after the process was completed.

If you could figure out where the pieces came from, you'd be able to tell if there are some that are missing (still in the system) and how many of them there might be.

- Jack

Old 11-07-2014 | 01:36 PM
glc
I don't think today's plastic/aluminum radiators can withstand a backflush like we used to do. When I was running a SERVICE station (good luck finding one of those these days!), we used to do a bunch of them.

Old 11-07-2014 | 06:49 PM
Global Moderator &
Originally Posted by glc
I don't think today's plastic/aluminum radiators can withstand a backflush like we used to do. When I was running a SERVICE station (good luck finding one of those these days!), we used to do a bunch of them.
You may well be right, regarding a professional flush. It used to be that you could buy a DIY connector that you could attach a garden hose to and backflush the system that way. It didn't generate the pressure that a true power flush did, but it could clear some of the foreign objects out.

I just did a quick search for "cooling system backflush adaptor" and here's a link to one: http://www.prestone.com/products/print/461?popup=1 There are several more and also some Youtube videos that show the process.

- Jack

Old 11-07-2014 | 07:10 PM
glc
Jack, that's the method I've been recommending here in the forum, the Prestone flushing tee kit. That's safe.

The backflushing we used to do, we would remove the thermostat, remove the top hose from the radiator, shove an adapter into the hose that you hooked up both a water hose and an air line to. Then we would connect a long hose to the open radiator neck to aim what comes out down the drain.

Old 11-07-2014 | 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
You may well be right, regarding a professional flush. It used to be that you could buy a DIY connector that you could attach a garden hose to and backflush the system that way. It didn't generate the pressure that a true power flush did, but it could clear some of the foreign objects out.

I just did a quick search for "cooling system backflush adaptor" and here's a link to one: http://www.prestone.com/products/print/461?popup=1 There are several more and also some Youtube videos that show the process.

- Jack
Yep.

GLC's fave'rite pitcher: https://www.f150online.com/forums/19...ml#post5114819

MGD

Quick Reply: Plastic peices found under t-stat