1997 - 2003 F-150

new to forum and site ..

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 09:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new to forum and site ..

just inherited a 2000 F150 4x4 xlt reg cab 8 foot bed 4.6 4r70w trans 3.31 gearing 38k original one owner in pristine condition . now the transformation starts looking forward to getting solid advice from you truck guys , this is my first truck ever and at the age of almost 50 . first and foremost how do I eliminate the egr system and not have problems . nut rotted off and now leaks . here where I live I no longer need emissions testing after the first of the year dont want drive ability issues or cel educate me please ..

Old 12-04-2014, 09:57 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
You can't eliminate the EGR and expect it to run well or not trip a CEL. It's not that hard to fix. You talking about the nut on the exhaust manifold? You can get a new fitting and tube at O'Reilly's. The hard part is getting the fitting out.

Old 12-05-2014, 06:49 AM
Originally Posted by fastzilla
how do I eliminate the egr system and not have problems
You can't, There is no reason to eliminate it.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:52 AM
here is the problem . manifold is rotted to the point that the nipple that the nut attached to is indistinguishable from the manifold and although the manifold is rotten it doesn't leak at this point in time I have heard rumors of of some ford or otc scan / programmer that can eliminate the entire egr from the computer so it will run as it should save worse mileage ( which I do not care about ) I know this is a sore subject among the purists but I just want to simplify the system and where I live there will be NO emissions test after the first of the year . I plan on doing headers in the spring and would just rather not toy with a system that I might be able to delete . this is a 3rd vehicle for me I plan on a 2.5 / 3 inch key / black lift 33 tires, headers exhaust and diff / gearing change and run it till it rots into dust .

Old 12-05-2014, 09:07 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by fastzilla
here is the problem . manifold is rotted to the point that the nipple that the nut attached to is indistinguishable from the manifold and although the manifold is rotten it doesn't leak at this point in time I have heard rumors of of some ford or otc scan / programmer that can eliminate the entire egr from the computer so it will run as it should save worse mileage ( which I do not care about ) I know this is a sore subject among the purists but I just want to simplify the system and where I live there will be NO emissions test after the first of the year . I plan on doing headers in the spring and would just rather not toy with a system that I might be able to delete . this is a 3rd vehicle for me I plan on a 2.5 / 3 inch key / black lift 33 tires, headers exhaust and diff / gearing change and run it till it rots into dust .
Hey &

Well, apart from the emissions system integrity & function being Federally mandated (rendering yer local lack of inspection moot), the EGR is an integral part of a Triton motor's design - improving both driveability and mileage.

You could try and see if one of our supported SCT custom tuning dealers can provide an 'EGR delete' custom calibration - notwithstanding the moral / legal aspects of same. I'm not aware of an 'over-the-counter' solution.

You'd need a programmer in any case to correct for longtubes and adjust for the gear swap. So a ~$400 investment is imminent regardless. ( Apart from all the other significant benefits custom tuning brings to the table ).

My recommendation: http://www.morepowertuning.com/sct-7015-x4-ford

Their forum handle is "MorePowerTuning" - feller's name is Mike - great guy. Lead calibrator is Ken - a Wizard.

BTW - yer new headers will provide fresh EGR connectivity - so it may be prudent to do that swap asap.

Lastly - one of the first things you should do is ensure the plugs are torqued to 28 ft-lbs DRY, to help prevent spitting a plug. (Plugs are cheap - may as well just go ahead and install fresh MC ones. New boots, & dielectric). And change the fuel filter, clean the MAF & TB.

Best o' luck!

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 12-05-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:22 AM
glc
If you are going to get headers in the spring, the easiest thing to do is plug the leak temporarily using some type of muffler cement or wrap. When you get the headers, get a set that has the EGR nipple and get a new tube to go from it to the valve.

Old 12-05-2014, 06:36 PM
mgdfan exactly what I am looking for just Emailed to see if my 2000 is supported .. thanks

Old 12-05-2014, 07:00 PM
whos plugs ?? which maf cleaner ? whos coil boots or coils ? going to go right through it . any other pit falls I should look for ?? or attend to ??
have a decent budget for it right now so no time like the present. like which header manufacture . and is there a decent manufacture that makes a good bolt on exhaust for side exit ..

Old 12-05-2014, 07:49 PM
glc
I recommend only Motorcraft ignition parts.

Quick Reply: new to forum and site ..