1997 - 2003 F-150

Braking problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015 | 05:55 AM
|
Braking problems

I have a 03 f150 4.2 2wd and when I hit my brakes hard it pulls hard right and then back straight. It was newer rotors and pads and they are fine, new caliper on the drivers front (thought it may be sticking), caliper slides greased up and not sticking and I bled the each caliper. If I hit the brakes soft they perform just like they should no pulling and if I hit the brakes lightly once and then slam on them they don't pull at all? Does it maybe need a right front caliper, brake hose or is it in the master cylinder? I'm at a loss and don't wanna keep throwing money at it to fix it. Any suggestions?

Old 01-05-2015 | 09:26 AM
Technical Article Contributor
It's not the master cylinder. Why did you replace just one caliper? If all the hardware is truly fine, there may be a small amount of air in one caliper - the driver side.

Old 01-05-2015 | 10:47 AM
|
I replaced the drivers front caliper for two reasons on the caliper slide was froze into the bracket so for $5 more I could get a whole caliper with the hardware and bracket and thought the piston might be stuck in the caliper and not braking. All lines were bled after the install. Also I lubed all the other slides to make sure they weren't stuck and checked all brake pads and rotors for wear. Could it be a passenger side caliper or drivers side brake hose?

Old 01-05-2015 | 07:59 PM
|
Anybody know of anything else I need to check ?

Old 01-06-2015 | 08:46 AM
Brake stuff should always be done in pairs. Yes, the passenger caliper could be hanging up or releasing at a slower rate than the driver side. I'd recommend you replace the passenger caliper.

Old 01-06-2015 | 12:56 PM
While your at it I would replace all the brake hoses. Mine were crap on my 03 and I started replacing them a few years back. Started with the front two and then did the back 3 early last year. Braking improved noticeably both times. This is the first vehicle I have had that needed the hoses done from rotting on the inside, they still looked great on the outside.

Old 01-08-2015 | 07:22 PM
|
I replaced the passenger front caliper yesterday and no change at all still pulling right. Went today and picked up a driver front brake hose and a drivers rear brake caliper . Will put on tonite and report back tomorrow. I'm starting to wonder if it might be a abs proportion valve or what ever the correct name is?

Old 01-09-2015 | 03:40 PM
I've been reading your thread. I have a couple of suggestions. rotate your tires front to rear. If it stops then it could be radial pull..( belts separating in the tire.) Also check alignment. Our trucks are known for rear axle being miss aligned in the rear and the passenger side usually needs a lead to counter act it. My truck had this issue and was solved with good alignment by a veteran tech. A Minor tweek easily solved it. I'm not saying it's not your brakes but it could be something as simple as what I wrote.

Old 01-09-2015 | 09:32 PM
|
Replaced driver front brake hose along with passenger front brake hose and also driver rear caliper. The major jerk to the right is gone but now it slightly pulls left. What gives? I'm gonna take the new caliper off the back this weekend and see if the old one with the new front brake lines fixed it. Will report back after this weekend. The tires or alignment could be it but that will be my next route if this doesn't fix it.

Old 01-18-2015 | 10:35 PM
|
Ok I took the new rear caliper off still no better. So let's recap the new parts.
New drivers caliper (because bracket was broke and new caliper was $5 more)
New drivers front brake hose
New passenger front brake hose
Still pulling when braking hard so that ticked me off so I took the nearly new pads off and back to napa (lifetime warranty) and said they were squeaking. I know little white lie but for $98 the should give u two sets. After replacing the pads magically the truck stopped pulling!!! So I'm guessing the pads were the culprit all along. Bad part is they looked brand new! So all I can say is sometimes it's a part you didn't even think about causing you all ur headaches!

Old 01-19-2015 | 09:09 AM
Did not see that coming. Congrats.

Quick Reply: Braking problems