1997 - 2003 F-150

Temp Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015 | 09:33 PM
|
Temp Sensor

98 F150 4.2

Need a new temp sensor. Truck has two. One on the top which I believe sends signal to the guage. Second that goes in at a 45 degree angle which I think send info to computer.

Are these the same awake or different part numbers. I think I need to replace the one that sends info to computer but unsure what to call it. Internet mentions cylinder head temp sensor but I can't find a part to match that description even through Ford.

Any one know what the part is called?

Old 12-15-2015 | 10:35 PM
Go to ROCK AUTO, key in your info for 98 4.2L v6.
The Ford OEM part numbers are given.
You need to use a Scanner to be sure which one or both need to be replaced.
By checking the engine temperature, you can judge if the gage sensor is detecting a problem with the cylinder head system and coolant.
It could be just the sensor. it could be a stuck thermostat or just the gage circuit.
You need to do the complete check to be sure what's going on in both parts of the system.
In later years, this was combined into one sensor for both the PCM and the gage readout.
The sensors are very inexpensive.
Good luck.

Old 12-16-2015 | 12:54 PM
No CHT on a 4.2 that old.

Old 12-22-2015 | 09:17 AM
|
Upsate

Originally Posted by Bluegrass
Go to ROCK AUTO, key in your info for 98 4.2L v6.
The Ford OEM part numbers are given.
You need to use a Scanner to be sure which one or both need to be replaced.
By checking the engine temperature, you can judge if the gage sensor is detecting a problem with the cylinder head system and coolant.
It could be just the sensor. it could be a stuck thermostat or just the gage circuit.
You need to do the complete check to be sure what's going on in both parts of the system.
In later years, this was combined into one sensor for both the PCM and the gage readout.
The sensors are very inexpensive.
Good luck.
Had no luck distinguishing on Rock Auto.

Broke down and went to dealership. Discovered the one I needed is called Temp Sensor. It communicates with computer.

The other is the temp sender. It communities with dash.

Sensor is on side of manifold. Sender is on top of manifold.

After having already put a brand new "sensor" on the truck from Oreillys, I've discovered the Motorcraft parts are truly better for this particular vehicle.

Quick Reply: Temp Sensor